• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

T.V or DVD?

I Prefer:

• Total voters
DVD's if we had more of 'em. [Notice here that when I'm talking about the dub version, I mean the Finnish one.] The last episodes we got on DVD was Advanced Battle.
I would like to watch season 12 and 13 again in DVD since we haven't had a right aspect ratio during those seasons in TV. [The first one with porper one will be BW]

Otherwise I'm fine with TV version.

two words: no commercials

It does s**k that two whole seasons are being ignored by Viz Media in the USA, Johto Journeys and Johto League Champions, though.

Those two seasons were released on DVD, though. They're out-of-print and are in desperate need of being re-released, but the same could be said for the later 4Kids seasons as well.

They should just release those Australian sets in the U.S. in the same way. Is it possible for them to do that?

Boomerang does not do any popups and their breaks just consist of a bumper or two and that is it so its a bit mixed. I still collect the DVDs though and found a way around Johto not being available in the US by importing from Australia. I hate Pokemon Black and White so the popup and break issues do not apply given its all they show on Cartoon Network and said issues are unique to them only.

Gliscor'd said:
They should just release those Australian sets in the U.S. in the same way. Is it possible for them to do that?

They'd have to draft up all new contracts with the companies involved in order to do something like that.

And if HeartGold & SoulSilver didn't motivate them enough to do that, then I don't know what will.

Last edited:
TV. Idk about anyone else but seeing the commercial breaks etc. in there take me back if i'm watching something that hasn't been on in years and the commercials take me back to what i used to drool over as a kid or amazingly memorized even to this day! (i'm looking at you Ranma 1/2 commercial after pokemon lol)

In terms of Pokemon it's definitely the DVD route for me. No commercials and I can relive all the great episodes over and over again.

And if HeartGodl & SoulSilver didn't motivate them enough to do that, then I don't know what will.

Maybe but they might put them in a few dvd sets

They'd have to draft up all new contracts with the companies involved in order to do something like that.

And if HeartGold & SoulSilver didn't motivate them enough to do that, then I don't know what will.

It just seems odd to me that Autsralian would get better DVD sets than the U.S., which was Pokemon's primary market outside of Japan.

Television. It's cheaper than actually getting the DVDs and I have DVR so I can just record everything and skip the commercials. I'm unlikely to want to watch a given episode over again to there's not much point in me getting the DVDs anyway.

Gliscor'd said:
It just seems odd to me that Autsralian would get better DVD sets than the U.S., which was Pokemon's primary market outside of Japan.

It's not odd at all. The U.S. sets being any "better" or "worse" than the Australian sets have everything to do with the decisions Viz made with the footage they're given. They decided to sacrifice video quality to cram a billion episodes on a single disc, and Magna Pacific did not. They decided not to release box sets of the Johto seasons, and Magna Pacific did.

The American market being "bigger" means nothing if the companies who have the license there are only interested in releasing quick cash grabs.

Was there a reason Johto Journeys was so under produced in the first place? There seem to be only a few online. Is that the time when DVDs were a brand new thing or something? I can't believe I actually thought about collecting that set though. Once I realized one of my favorite episodes was missing I gave up on that expensive goal.

That said, there are certain issues with the DVD versions, such as overmacroblocking when they shove too many episodes on a disc, as well as at least one episode in BF with an altered (worse) titlecard in DVD over TV.

Really? Can you provide an example of this? I have never heard of it before.

And if that's true, I hope it wouldn't happen in the DVDs.

As for me, DVDs. I don't have that many yet, but I plan to start buying once Black & White episodes gets on DVD, Movies and all.

I prefer watching the show in the best quality possible, and that is only achievable by downloading and watching illegal, ripped TV versions in 720p (HD) with commercials cut which of course is what I do. Do I feel bad about it? Nope.

another reason why I prefer DVD's: I don't have to schedule when and what episode I want to watch with what Cartoon Network/Kids WB says. I can watch pokemon whenever I want and I can pick and choose which episode too.

This is a give and take. Since I know about dub episodes before they air, I can decide if I want it preserved for future viewing. I do videotape every episode in case I miss it (Yes, I know it's 2011 and there are better ways to record.), but if it is an important episode, I would prefer to have a hard-copy DVD version. Even better, if I had a HD Cable Box, I would record those directly with my HD PVR and preserve them on my external hard drive!

Dustox said:
Really? Can you provide an example of this? I have never heard of it before.

And if that's true, I hope it wouldn't happen in the DVDs.

In the US, the three Kanto box sets and the Orange Islands DVDs contain just about every video problem you can possibly have on a DVD. Macroblocking? Bleeding colors? Rainbowing? They're all there because Viz tries to cram too many episodes on a disc.

They decided to sacrifice video quality to cram a billion episodes on a single disc, and Magna Pacific did not. They decided not to release box sets of the Johto seasons, and Magna Pacific did.

The current Magna sets are 6 discs per season (except for season 13, which is 4 discs) and go with 8 or 9 episodes per disc, too. The PQ is the same as the old Super Wallets, though, and still better than the Viz sets.

Anyway back to the question. Aside from the fact that the Australian DVD publisher got the TPCi's crappy "this is what export markets get" crop of the HD season 12 and 13 episodes, I do prefer DVDs to watching low-quality, mangled-to-avoid-being-removed-by-automatic-copyrighted-video-detectors episodes online. And it looks like Australia will start getting widescreen DVDs (and maybe Blu-rays, seeing as Magna's releasing the movies on Blu-ray now) starting with season 14, now that episodes air on TV in widescreen.

Plus there's the fact that the DVDs of every season are widely available here, with each box set featuring a whole season.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom