• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
It's because of that Reggie interview that popped up a few days ago. It's understandable.
Reggie said that the GBA wasn't dead in November 2006 two years after the DS' release. He also called XD a "true Pokemon RPG that isn't a sequel to Colosseum".

Why are you taking him seriously, especially when Masuda's words are much more to the point (referring to the long term rather than just this year)? Perhaps because he said what you wanted to hear. Even then, he never said that the 3DS would get another successor.

Last edited:
Reggie said that the GBA wasn't dead in November 2006 two years after the DS' release. He also called XD a "true Pokemon RPG that isn't a sequel to Colosseum".

Why are you taking him seriously, especially when Masuda's words are much to the point (referring to the long term rather than just this year)? Perhaps because he said what you wanted to hear. Even then, he never said that the 3DS would get another successor.

He just wants gullible people to still buy the 3DS.
Plus, for me, that 3DS isn't dead before it stops running the latest Pokémon generation. :p So it will die when Gen 8 is out.

Then again, Reggie back then just got into the Nintendo business. Now, he's been President for a while, so he knows his shit. Plus we still haven't gotten Mother 3 yet.

Also, since I'm hyped, THE LAST JEDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I don't believe that the Switch will be the replacement for the 3DS. For this reason I think that Pokemon, or at least Gen VII, will stay on the 3DS. Here's why.

1. Although the Switch has portable capabilities, its mobile battery life is trash. Until Nintendo fixes this somehow, I can't see GameFreak making main-series titles for it. Pokemon is too much of a mobile-focused game.
2. The Switch's success is unknown, while the 3DS is the best-selling system of this generation. Having a 3DS-esque system (or just the 3DS in general) to fall back on in case of a Switch failure is a good strategy IMO. That being said, I feel that if Nintendo wants to succeed with the Switch given the mistakes they've already made with the system, they'd have to gradually phase out the 3DS, but given the fact that Generation VII was only released on 3DS two months ago, and there is a first-party title releasing at the end of the year (Fire Emblem Warriors), and likely more to come, it seems that the 3DS will live throughout the rest of the year, so I really do feel like Nintendo is using the 3DS as a backup plan. The more I think about the Switch, the more it reminds me of the Dreamcast...
3. The fact that the New 3DS exists as a handheld system. Yes, it is essentially a "3DS upgrade" akin to the DSi, but I personally view it as a separate entity due to the exclusivity is has. I believe if Nintendo releases a 4DS or whatever, it will be an upgrade to the New 3DS. What this would entail is that Nintendo would phase out the old 3DS in favor of the New 3DS and the 4DS, and make games exclusive to those systems. Pokemon could be one of those games. I see this as a likelier possibility if my 2nd point holds true.

I doubt that Pokemon will not get a game on the Switch. It's proven Pokemon sells systems (How many of you bought a 3DS solely for Pokemon X/Y?), and with the success of Pokemon GO compared to Super Mario Run, I think Pokemon is starting to surpass Mario as Nintendo's leading franchise. The Switch NEEDS Pokemon to survive, but it also needs to last long enough to prove that it's the replacement for the 3DS before it gets a main-series game. If the so-called "Pokemon Stars" does get a dual release, or even the basically-but-not-officially confirmed Sinnoh remakes, then it's possible that the Switch could become the 3DS replacement. But if not, we could be seeing Generation VIII on another 3DS system or even on mobile devices.

1. Although the Switch has portable capabilities, its mobile battery life is trash. Until Nintendo fixes this somehow, I can't see GameFreak making main-series titles for it. Pokemon is too much of a mobile-focused game.
2. The Switch's success is unknown, while the 3DS is the best-selling system of this generation. Having a 3DS-esque system (or just the 3DS in general) to fall back on in case of a Switch failure is a good strategy IMO. That being said, I feel that if Nintendo wants to succeed with the Switch given the mistakes they've already made with the system, they'd have to gradually phase out the 3DS, but given the fact that Generation VII was only released on 3DS two months ago, and there is a first-party title releasing at the end of the year (Fire Emblem Warriors),
FEW is actually isn't a first party title, Koei Tecmo is publishing it and developing it. Were you thinking of Mario Odyssey? That I'm fairly confident is first party.

As for the battery life, the range is actually pretty big, from a bit shorter than the New 3DS XL minimum to longer than the 3DSXL's maximum depending on the game. Very intensive games like BotW are on the lower end of that spectrum, but I doubt Stars would be on the same level of resource-stressing as that. But I dunno
Can Nintendo wait until 2019 for Gen VIII? Or would they ask Game Freak to rush it?
They're not asking them to rush out Gen VIII by releasing Stars. They're asking them to help get the system off the ground out of the gate with a title that takes significantly less time and money to make, while simultaneously being able to get used to the system. It's win win for both Nintendo and Game Freak. Nintendo gets a boost to Switch sales to build that playerbase, Game Freak gets experience with developing for the hardware for Gen VIII.

FEW is actually isn't a first party title, Koei Tecmo is publishing it and developing it. Were you thinking of Mario Odyssey? That I'm fairly confident is first party.
Nah, because Mario Odyssey's a Switch title and not a 3DS title. I think what I meant to say was "a game from a major Nintendo series," which to me includes Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Starfox, Kid Icarus, and Super Smash Bros, being released on the 3DS within the next year. and fire emblem warriors is as much a fire emblem game as a dynasty warriors game :U

As for the battery life, the range is actually pretty big, from a bit shorter than the New 3DS XL minimum to longer than the 3DSXL's maximum depending on the game. Very intensive games like BotW are on the lower end of that spectrum, but I doubt Stars would be on the same level of resource-stressing as that. But I dunno

I see. Thank you for providing those details. I was basing my statement off my experience with Wii U offscreen play and 3DS resolution & lag vs. battery life. I'd also think that battles would stress more than overworld travel and the like.

I don't believe that the Switch will be the replacement for the 3DS. For this reason I think that Pokemon, or at least Gen VII, will stay on the 3DS. Here's why.

2. The Switch's success is unknown, while the 3DS is the best-selling system of this generation. Having a 3DS-esque system (or just the 3DS in general) to fall back on in case of a Switch failure is a good strategy IMO. That being said, I feel that if Nintendo wants to succeed with the Switch given the mistakes they've already made with the system, they'd have to gradually phase out the 3DS, but given the fact that Generation VII was only released on 3DS two months ago, and there is a first-party title releasing at the end of the year (Fire Emblem Warriors), and likely more to come, it seems that the 3DS will live throughout the rest of the year, so I really do feel like Nintendo is using the 3DS as a backup plan. The more I think about the Switch, the more it reminds me of the Dreamcast...
3. The fact that the New 3DS exists as a handheld system. Yes, it is essentially a "3DS upgrade" akin to the DSi, but I personally view it as a separate entity due to the exclusivity is has. I believe if Nintendo releases a 4DS or whatever, it will be an upgrade to the New 3DS. What this would entail is that Nintendo would phase out the old 3DS in favor of the New 3DS and the 4DS, and make games exclusive to those systems. Pokemon could be one of those games. I see this as a likelier possibility if my 2nd point holds true.

I doubt that Pokemon will not get a game on the Switch. It's proven Pokemon sells systems (How many of you bought a 3DS solely for Pokemon X/Y?), and with the success of Pokemon GO compared to Super Mario Run, I think Pokemon is starting to surpass Mario as Nintendo's leading franchise. The Switch NEEDS Pokemon to survive, but it also needs to last long enough to prove that it's the replacement for the 3DS before it gets a main-series game. If the so-called "Pokemon Stars" does get a dual release, or even the basically-but-not-officially confirmed Sinnoh remakes, then it's possible that the Switch could become the 3DS replacement. But if not, we could be seeing Generation VIII on another 3DS system or even on mobile devices.
The 3DS's battery life is equal, if not slightly better, than the Switch. The fact that the Switch has a record-breaking (or so) pre-order tells me that it will have some good success, if not better than the Wii U. I like it how you point out the New 3DS, which I thought about but forgot later on. I, however, don't believe that the 4DS will be released, as the Switch is partially portable.
That being said, I do agree that the Switch will not replace the 3DS, as the 3DS may have some "upgrades" coming, or maybe last to see if the Switch will be successful, despite the preorders. I also agree that Pokemon will get a game on the Switch, maybe (but I think is most likely) Gen VIII, maybe not (Sequel to XD?), but core series games will never go mobile, as Pokemon Go/Dual, Super Mario Run, and Fire Emblem Heroes are all side games, and I'm positive that, even though Nintendo does do some really unintelligent actions, they will not move any core series games off their main consoles onto the "free-for-all" mobile market.

Oh, and don't remind me of the Dreamcast. I always think of Sonic 06 for some reason :(

core series games will never go mobile,

Don't be so quick to be sure. Not every mobile game is FTP with ingame purchases. Just imagine how much money they would make if they put Pokemon RBY on the App Store for $6-8.

I do agree with the rest of your post though. :)

Don't be so quick to be sure. Not every mobile game is FTP with ingame purchases. Just imagine how much money they would make if they put Pokemon RBY on the App Store for $6-8.
True, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo will not move core series games onto smartphones, that's what Iwata said will not make them Nintendo anymore, they'll just be like Sega and sell games on 3rd party, if the Switch fails though. Plus, the 3DS and the Switch are both great gaming devices, and they'll earn money for Nintendo too.
I hope Pokemon always remains on handhelds.
Me too. I don't know if it will stay like that, though

Um... yeah, no. I'd like my core series Pokémon games to stay handheld and I wouldn't buy a Switch solely for them. That's a poor strategy, forcing the devout handheld gamers to go console by stripping them of such a beloved franchise. What would we have outside of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon then?

If Nintendo do this, I'll just ditch them in protest and take my Pokémon business to Smogon and Showdown full-time. It's already my sole outlet for Gen VII.

Um... yeah, no. I'd like my core series Pokémon games to stay handheld and I wouldn't buy a Switch solely for them. That's a poor strategy, forcing the devout handheld gamers to go console by stripping them of such a beloved franchise. What would we have outside of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon then?

If Nintendo do this, I'll just ditch them in protest and take my Pokémon business to Smogon and Showdown full-time. It's already my sole outlet for Gen VII.
There ain't no evidence that Pokemon games will be going to the Switch. Plus, it's also partially handheld, so that kinda covers that. As for marketing, they have other games like Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, etc. so they will still make some money from the Switch.
Though, yes, I do prefer having Pokemon stay on the 3DS, but only time will tell

It would be staying handheld. You're just getting a handheld that also happens to be a console.

Hope it's a succesor for both, as I'd love to play home and handheld console games in the same thing (and saving a lot of money in this process). Expecting Switch to be the next Wii in terms of popularity, because remember it came after Game Cube (another that went wrong)? So we've had a similar scenario to Wii U, so they probably learned their lesson? (I really hope it's a successful and fun console)

Back
Top Bottom