• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Sorry. Core series games.

Game Freak don't tend to make spin-off games themselves (and they're hardly as popular as the main series games), so they're largely irrelevant to Masuda's description of the Switch as "the future."

Game Freak don't tend to make spin-off games themselves (and they're hardly as popular as the main series games), so they're largely irrelevant to Masuda's description of the Switch as "the future."
"Don't tend to" as in they never have.

I think that the first Switch game will actually be Detective Pikachu, which is a Creatures game. It should be a 3DS/Switch game, but I can't see it just being a 3DS game after this ridiculous delay.

"Don't tend to" as in they never have.

I admit I didn't have time to check and didn't want to be out-credentialed by some obscure spin-off that came out when I wasn't following the franchise, so I hedged. :p Good to have the point reinforced.

Well they have to have some part in spin off games, at least deciding on who will make it. They can't do what Sonic Team did with Sonic Boom, that'll screw everything up

Supervising spin-off games is TPCi's job.

It's a moot point since Masuda was unequivocally talking about the main series (with the interview being about Sun and Moon), referencing its communication features and how it's been traditionally played.

Supervising spin-off games is TPCi's job.

It's a moot point since Masuda was unequivocally talking about the main series (with the interview being about Sun and Moon), referencing its communication features and how it's been traditionally played.
TPCi's job, but Game Freak at least needs to know what is coming out, and not just some random mumbo jumbo

"Communication is very important for Pokémon. Where and how our players play is something crucial. For example, in Japan the kids go play in the park and in each others' houses, connected by playing their portable consoles. In Japan portable consoles are far from dying, in fact they're doing better than home consoles. For that reason it's important that we maintain the best possible communication, the medium that the people use to unite and connect to play." - Contradicts your statement, however
"Nintendo Switch is the future" - supports your statement

Me? I realized I never got my opinion completely out woops I think it's still too early to tell. I don't doubt that Pokemon, side or core series, will be on the Switch, but 1. I don't think generations should be over different consoles/handhelds and 2. Despite good pre-orders, I'm waiting to see how the Switch turns out. If it sucks, they may just stick to the 3DS. On the other hand, if it doesn't, Pokemon, maybe from Gen VIII, may be on the Switch.

Which makes me think about rereleasing the other Pokemon games for the Switch. Though it may not happen as Masuda hasn't said anything about that, plus only RBY has been rereleased so far and no plans for other games, his wording is kinda vague in my opinion and, since no other core series Pokemon games will be compatible with the Switch... yeh a maybe.

Anyways, I've spoken way too much. I'm not against Pokemon on the Switch, I just get too rattled up sometimes :p. Jesus am I writing more each time?

"Communication is very important for Pokémon. Where and how our players play is something crucial. For example, in Japan the kids go play in the park and in each others' houses, connected by playing their portable consoles. In Japan portable consoles are far from dying, in fact they're doing better than home consoles. For that reason it's important that we maintain the best possible communication, the medium that the people use to unite and connect to play." - Contradicts your statement, however
"Nintendo Switch is the future" - supports your statement

(Unrelated to the previous arguement) You've just reinforced that Pokemon should come on the Switch with these sentences put together XD. Let's see..
For the playing in the park bit, Switch is just the perfect console. Switch also supports a LOT of multiplayer, again supported by the Statement. Also, Switch is a hybrid, so, It'll be a attention for both, those looking for handhelds, and those looking for consoles. They'll have to pay only $300 instead of$400-500-600 etc. for a console and a handheld.
Also, Switch is the BEST medium to unite people and connect to play (even better method than the 3DS, now, with the JoyCons, since now 2 people can play on the same console.)

Also, Switch is the BEST medium to unite people and connect to play (even better method than the 3DS, now, with the JoyCons, since now 2 people can play on the same console.)
Joycons can only connect to 2 people who are physically not across the world, so I have to argue that 3DS is better. That was why I pointed out the communication quote. Nintendo Switch is the future... does reinforce Pokemon should come on the Switch lol :p so maybe I didn't make it look right

I'm fairly certain that the Switch can connect people across the world as well, considering online services are already confirmed (although there's a charge fee, I'm going to be optimistic and hope this means Nintendo's servers are good for once).

Joycons can connect two people on the same device, something a 3DS can't do at all. But you can also all take your own Switch tablet with you and play together that way, just like you can with a 3DS (which was shown in one of the trailers I think, four people all playing on their own Switch tablet together). And there's also online services. So the Joycons give the Switch even more ways to connect than the 3DS, not less.

Joycons can only connect to 2 people who are physically not across the world, so I have to argue that 3DS is better. That was why I pointed out the communication quote. Nintendo Switch is the future... does reinforce Pokemon should come on the Switch lol :p so maybe I didn't make it look right

With a pair of extra JoyCons, you can connect four people to the same console. (This is a fact)
With multiple systems, you can even connect up to 8 people for a single game (I'm not sure on that).
3DS cannot even connect two people on the same console.

I guess that Sir Cookie is bothered by the online subscription.

I'll just say that if Game Freak don't want players to pay for online features, which remains to be seen, then they simply won't charge them. Nintendo hasn't said that all Switch games will require a subscription.

But Masuda's quote clearly references local communication.

Ok sorry my point is online communication. and yes guys I am triggered by the online subscription, despite companies like Microsoft already doing that. But, for me and some of my friends, I do use the 3DS for far away communication, which I prefer, and yes joycons can connect up to 8 people, but you know how crazy 8 player Smash can get (well, Mario kart would work fine). I probably didn't make my point clear, and if so then oops.
Anways, thanks for making me realize my dumb mistake lol.

So.... what are your opinions? I need to shut up and enjoy speculation

Last edited:
Ok sorry my point is online communication. and yes guys I am triggered by the online subscription, despite companies like Microsoft already doing that. But, for me and some of my friends, I do use the 3DS for far away communication, which I prefer, and yes joycons can connect up to 8 people, but you know how crazy 8 player Smash can get (well, Mario kart would work fine). I probably didn't make my point clear, and if so then oops.
Anways, thanks for making me realize my dumb mistake lol.

So.... what are your opinions? I need to shut up and enjoy speculation

I perfectly understand your problem. Your points have made me rather concerned about online services. But, I think Stars (at least) will have free online services becuase even Sun and Moon have free services. Also, Pokebank exists as a paid application.

I perfectly understand your problem. Your points have made me rather concerned about online services. But, I think Stars (at least) will have free online services becuase even Sun and Moon have free services. Also, Pokebank exists as a paid application.
Yeh Pokebank does exist as a paid application, primarily because its servers overloaded, something that kinda screwed up the eShop.
That's why I don't understand why online communication is now becoming paid, besides Nintendo making that cash. The servers are (usually) fine, and I can access the eShop perfectly.

That's really it. :p

While Pokémon servers were (mostly) fine, some other games could get very laggy when it comes to online... If it means Nintendo can spend more on servers to make them not as bad as they have been in the past, I'm perfectly fine with paid subscription based online if the (I believe currently unknown) price is reasonable. If it's not reasonable... well, I'll be annoyed. But I doubt that it'll be unfairly priced, tbh.

The CEO of Nintendo in a new article said there would be a successor to the 3ds because he saw a market for one,which is were honest directly relates to pokemon.

This last year the 3ds's lifetime sales jumped from around 53 million to over 65 million,nearly the entire lifetime sales of the Wii u in one year.

Almost all of that is pokemon related,when GO released the 3ds and Pokemon XY,oras had huge sales jumps,and with SM' s released during the holidays the 3ds had another reported sales jump.

Not to mention all the articles about stores world wide being completely sold out of 3ds's both in store and online.

Another poll indicated around 2 million people who played SM were first time main series game players and the majority of them purchased a 3ds new to play.

Nintendo is proud and with the ceo's comments we can see they are interested in keeping both a home console and separate handheld going forward post Wii u ,3ds.

And with all the sales data pointing to pokemon being the primary mover of 3ds both recently and around the XY,Oras launches it dosent look good for a Pokemon game on switch.

They could do dual releases but pokemon almost single handedly moves their mobile consoles and since their doing a 3ds successor it'd be smart to keep pokemon on it

Back
Top Bottom