• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
I wonder if they do something different for 3DS, like developing a pokemon game that is N3DS/N2DS XL exclusive, since the old 3ds is played out anyway, and since New 2Ds XL was announced and the 3ds era is going anywhere time soon, finally it could be the end of the old 3ds. It would make since to have a pokemon game that is N3DS/N2DS XL exclusive. I still got my N3DS XL two years ago, but I haven't purchased Switch yet, because I'm waiting for something pokemon related.

I consider the announcement of the New 2DS as proof that the 3DS line is not dead. I believe that Nintendo is ending support for the original 3DS as they just announced that they're no longer repairing original 3DSes. We might see Pokemon jump to the Switch or, if GF doesn't want to make the Switch, they can make the games New 3DS exclusive.

I consider the announcement of the New 2DS as proof that the 3DS line is not dead. I believe that Nintendo is ending support for the original 3DS as they just announced that they're no longer repairing original 3DSes. We might see Pokemon jump to the Switch or, if GF doesn't want to make the Switch, they can make the games New 3DS exclusive.
The only New 3DS game exclusive announced for this year is Fire Emblem Warriors, and that's purely because of technical limitations. If it could run well enough on all systems, which games like SM do, then it wouldn't be N3DS-exclusive. This myth about "Nintendo ending technical support for the original 3DS means no more games for all 3DS systems" is pretty absurd, especially when they will still support the 3DS XL and 2DS.

The only New 3DS game exclusive announced for this year is Fire Emblem Warriors, and that's purely because of technical limitations. This myth about "Nintendo ending technical support for the original 3DS means no more games for all 3DS systems" is pretty absurd, especially when they will still support the 3DS XL and 2DS.
It is absurd. Why are people saying that the 3DS is dead? The New 3DS is still going to be supported.

All 3DS systems are going to be supported software-wise. You can still buy/fix 3DS XL and 2DS systems, too.
That's what I'm saying. Also, having the 3DS around will help Nintendo in case the Switch goes down the same path as the Wii U.

The Switch won't end up like the Wii U, and the 3DS will be phased out eventually. But it won't happen this year.
I'm just pointing out a possibility of the Switch going the way of the Wii U. There is no certainty that it won't. Also, I agree that the 3DS will be phased out, but they might create a new handheld to replace it.

The Switch won't go the way of the Wii U. Nintendo has too much invested in it.

But now, I am beginning to wonder if, maybe, the portable aspect of the Switch was oversold or seriously exaggerated. I mean, why continue a handheld system when you have a hybrid system that can do the same job better?

The Switch won't go the way of the Wii U. Nintendo has too much invested in it.

But now, I am beginning to wonder if, maybe, the portable aspect of the Switch was oversold or seriously exaggerated. I mean, why continue a handheld system when you have a hybrid system that can do the same job better?
It's not like they'll discontinue 3ds era right away when Switch is released. Since New 2DS XL was announced they'll continue to support 3DS era, that won't be going away for a while. Plus how do we know if GF and Nintendo already have a pokemon game to Switch, there's no way they made the game that fast, especially Switch is a console, and they never done a main series game on a console.

It's not like they'll discontinue 3ds era right away when Switch is released. Since New 2DS XL was announced they'll continue to support 3DS era, that won't be going away for a while. Plus how do we know if GF and Nintendo already have a pokemon game to Switch, there's no way they made the game that fast, especially Switch is a console, and they never done a main series game on a console.

The last time GF did any game on a Nintendo main console, it was the SNES. So, I have to agree there's no way the next Pokemon game from GF is a console game unless they're just going ahead with a new generation.

That's what I'm thinking. GF has a vendetta towards Nintendo home consoles. They haven't released a game for a Nintendo home console since the SNES era. Although the Switch is portable, it is not as portable as the 3DS line.

Edit: Serebii has just tweeted hat he had to leave his Switch at home because he couldn't fit it in his bag. That says something about the Switch's portability.

Last edited:
So what does this mean for pokemon?

Pretty much, what Silktree said.

It also will likely limit the long-term sales of the Switch, since portability is extremely important to the Japanese gaming market. Meaning that if Nintendo simply can't make a smaller model, they will need to pretty much treat it as a pure home console and release a successor to the 3DS family.

I expressed concerns much earlier in the Stars thread, and maybe a couple others, that Nintendo may not be treating the Switch like a portable and that GF may be taking a wait-and-see on if it'll be anything more than a slightly-portable home console. Issues like what Serebii is having reveal that concern was far from unjustified.

The Switch is comparable to the 3DS XL if you remove the Joycons. So I have no idea what Serebii is on about.

But even the 3DS XL is arguably too big for kids. Then again, the 2DS was made for kids and yet isn't very portable...

At the end of the day, pricing is the most important factor. Using a bag/case is not the end of the world.

The Nintendo Switch Mini will launch in Fiscal Year 2018, so maybe they'll launch a pokemon game on that, I just hope the Switch Mini is cheaper than the original Switch.

But even the 3DS XL is arguably too big for kids. Then again, the 2DS was made for kids and yet isn't very portable...
The 2DS is portable enough. It fits in makeup pouches, purses, handbags - anything that'll fit a smartphone. I don't know if you've actually held a 2DS before, but it isn't as big as many people still think.

Back
Top Bottom