• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Alola Region

If you had up all of the Hawaii "hints" them you get a similar situation.

There's more possible hints to Hawaii than just "one town" though, so I don't think you're being very fair in your comparison.

Honestly I would be sorta on the fence more if the Pokemon Twitter hadn't posted this photo of the Pikachu plush on one of Oahu's beaches a couple of days after SM's announcement saying something like "can we be there?". They could have chosen any beach any where else, but it just happened to be Hawaii where fans had been speculating for a few days. That's just way too coincidental for me and sorta sealed my opinion on the matter (unless they purposely did it to troll us but whatever). Alone the points don't mean much, but together they mean more than you're trying to suggest.

I'm fine going wherever though, the region basis has never been a big deal for me. So if it doesn't end up being the Hawaiian islands I won't be bothered. But I do think an island chain would be interesting for them to tackle though.

The region is confirmed to be the Alola region, and it seems to be based on Hawaii. So that ends that.

But what's curious is that they didn't show the entirety of the region from the trailer, just the earlier areas. They're definitely up to something in this game.

Definitely Hawaii ; the part of the map we see clearly shows Diamond Head and Honolulu (and the JP trailer shows actual aerial picture of Honolulu).

Plus, yeah, having the name of the region one letter away from Aloha is kind of a dead give away.

As long as I don't have to be surfing forever and a day to travel between islands. Thankfully I have a few dozen Lapras in my Pokemon bank that will probably be up for the job if surfing becomes one of the more required HM's to use.

Well there we have it. It's Hawaii. Very tropical looking by design too, even more so than Hoenn. I feel kinda eh about the region (what we've seen so far), but I'll give it a chance of course.

I think the region looks gorgeous. Hawaii was a good choice to use as a basis for a region.

Actually we do see the entirety of that island

alola.jpg

Looks kinda small though, there's definitely more to this game than what they're showing. Which isn't terribly surprising, because Hawaii is an island chain so there should be more than one. Can anyone tell which island this is?

Looking at the confirmed region we can see that it is very small:

alola.jpg

Do you think we'll be going to multiple islands? Will there be one big main island where most of the things will be on? Will we be able to take a boat and go to south-kalos?

Personally I hope this means the return of mythical pokemon islands such as birth island in gen 3 and new moon island in gen 4.

That's definitely the island of Hawaii, also known as the Big Island.

I think it's only logical that we will be traveling to the others over the course of the game, but I suppose they don't want to play that up yet

If someone can show me how there are possibly 8 different cities on that map, then I'll accept we're stuck on the big island. However, I think it very clear we will be traveling across the entire island chain throughout the game. From the looks of it, we may even have a surfing path headed south.

If someone can show me how there are possibly 8 different cities on that map, then I'll accept we're stuck on the big island. However, I think it very clear we will be traveling across the entire island chain throughout the game. From the looks of it, we may even have a surfing path headed south.

Well the top half of it is cut off so technically there could be a lot more region up there. I actually do think it will go on a little bit.

That's definitely the island of Hawaii, also known as the Big Island.

I think it's only logical that we will be traveling to the others over the course of the game, but I suppose they don't want to play that up yet

If that's the biggest island in the region, then Alola's probably not going to be big enough for its own game.

Kalos confirmed. :p

I had a similar thought; but from only what we can see, and understanding the more exasperated over world, I would wager there's no more than three cities/towns on that map -- which means there's MUCH more yet to be seen.

But as I say this, what seems to be the beauty of this over world is that it is less distinguished by route/city/route/town/route, etc. There's more fluidity in its design so that may lend it to a less conventional game progression. Which would be awesome!

Definitely Oahu, like evil figment said we got pics of the irl diamond head, and then the in-game island has one similar to it. Which is really interesting cause the starting town and island is really small and quaint , and not a bustling metropolis. Makes me wonder what the mega city is if not the actual capital city.
Really interesting how organic it all feels, as well as super infuriating that gen 6 was not. It has little to no angles outsode the city, the grid has to have beem lessened or abolished completely. Another thing is, I see no docks, meaning surfing between islands should be the main methpd of travel. Lastly, its going to be a bit nonlinear, I can feel it. Probably the choice to travel to whatever island you feel like, and from there you can explore it however you feel like exploring it.

That city on the west easily takes up a quarter of that island. The surfing route on the south and east are blocked off with black volcanic rocks, while the beach on the west side isn't.

There's going to be more islands. I had speculated about major island chains a few months back with maps being handled like Sevii Islands. The map presently obscures the northern parts of the region as well and isn't a full topside view so I doubt that we can see everything.

I'm hoping for ports between major island chains rather than purely surfing.

I feel the same as most users above; there will/should be more islands, it seems very one-track right now, and plus in the trailer the trainer was climbing what looked to be that hill on the image we have of the region so far, and it seemed pretty easy to get up. I definitely see more islands being revealed/announced soon :)

Back
Top Bottom