• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Alola Region

I've read somewhere that the four islands name could be Melemele(Yellow), Omaoma (Green), Polu (Blue) and Ulaula (Red). The first island is named Melemele so we could go from there

Which city was it that has stairs? Or was it just a theory and not from something on the map?

I could maybe see them doing it since an underwater city seems to be one style of city they still haven't gone for in the series yet. Plus there's the "there's a city you won't believe" line from the backpacker in XY and there isn't really one on the map that is that shocking - walled city or the middle artificial island are guesses.

What if there is an underwater city and it's the giant metropolis people like Meta Boss have said the region lacks? It could be called Rapture Maybe the artificial island in the centre is actually the tip of the city above the water sorta like an iceberg? There's the same blue hut with a brown roof repeated on each island, maybe they are elevators/tunnels down to the city - so each island has a way to access it?

Not really bothered for a metropolis myself but it could be a neat idea. Especially with the more 3D world we have this time around, they could do some cool stuff and have neat views.

I'm just spitballing ideas anyway, not sure how likely I think it is right now.
I suggested this myself. A huge underwater city with the Elite 4 and victort road situated at its highest point above sea level wouls be the craziest thing ever. I can envision this huge sea dome, with a giant central pillar that is the elevator to the victory road.
Honestly, regardless of the plot, the very environment of the Alola region and the aesthetics of the starting route that we saw today simply blew me away and for that GF deserves high praise.

It's not generic, it's not boring, it's all so vivid and lively, brimming with culture. I feel compelled to explore the region and find out more, it's just so fascinating.
I know right? The realistic scale is really pulling its weight, people fretting over region size should worry less. Route 1 felt absolutely massive, and seeing the world beyond was absolutely fresh. Hopefully its not segmented too much, was bummed to see the festival town have a small loading transition. Also bummed that routea no longer have nicknames.

Route 1 is massive! I do wonder if the path that is to the left of a house is also Route 1, or Route 2/3 (or something different). It meets up with Route 1 before the neighboring town. I just wonder how you initially avoid the tall grass upon first heading to that town since there is tall grass to the left of the stairs and many would be tempted to walk in it WITHOUT a Pokemon. My guess is you are suppose to follow Kukui up the route and if you try to stray from him, it will prompt you against it. Or maybe it just goes straight to a cutscene and you "teleport" to the town.

Route 1 is massive! I do wonder if the path that is to the left of a house is also Route 1, or Route 2/3 (or something different). It meets up with Route 1 before the neighboring town. I just wonder how you initially avoid the tall grass upon first heading to that town since there is tall grass to the left of the stairs and many would be tempted to walk in it WITHOUT a Pokemon. My guess is you are suppose to follow Kukui up the route and if you try to stray from him, it will prompt you against it. Or maybe it just goes straight to a cutscene and you "teleport" to the town.
Route 1 is the stretch from the House to the town. Presumably it connects to route 2 right of the town. I am interested in what the entire beach area is considered as though, as its pretty separated from the main city.

At least Route 1 has wild pokemon in it this time. I get why XY didn't since you have to go to the next town for starters. I guess there be about 2 or 3 pokemon in the route.

Route 1 is the stretch from the House to the town. Presumably it connects to route 2 right of the town. I am interested in what the entire beach area is considered as though, as its pretty separated from the main city.

I understand that, but if you look at the map of the starting island, you'll notice a path on the LEFT side of the house that stretches from the house and meets up towards the end of Route 1, basically forming a fork. The path we say in the E3 gameplay was entered from the RIGHT side of the house.

Which city was it that has stairs? Or was it just a theory and not from something on the map?

I could maybe see them doing it since an underwater city seems to be one style of city they still haven't gone for in the series yet. Plus there's the "there's a city you won't believe" line from the backpacker in XY and there isn't really one on the map that is that shocking - walled city or the middle artificial island are guesses.

What if there is an underwater city and it's the giant metropolis people like Meta Boss have said the region lacks? It could be called Rapture Maybe the artificial island in the centre is actually the tip of the city above the water sorta like an iceberg? There's the same blue hut with a brown roof repeated on each island, maybe they are elevators/tunnels down to the city - so each island has a way to access it?

Not really bothered for a metropolis myself but it could be a neat idea. Especially with the more 3D world we have this time around, they could do some cool stuff and have neat views.

I'm just spitballing ideas anyway, not sure how likely I think it is right now.
If we indeed only have access to the four main islands in the artwork and that little one in the southwest, this underwater city would solve our lack of postgame. I'm all for it either way.

The recent reveal of Rock type Iwanko makes me pretty willing to believe that we'll have some sort of early cave, probably in Diamond Head on Melemele. I'd also venture to say that the villainous team might be doing something in there.
All that being said, I do think that the area behind the starting town is a forest of sorts. Since the Pokemon Center in the Honolulu-inspired city is on the western side of town, I'm also thinking that there is going to be some sort of blockage on the southeastern path leading out of the starting village, at least before trainers can get to the main city. As such, the town just northwest of Honolulu or whatever it is will probably be the second settlement we visit, which keeps with the traditional town, town, big city setup from most games.

The recent reveal of Rock type Iwanko makes me pretty willing to believe that we'll have some sort of early cave,
There don't have to be a particular area to find a certain type. Litleo a fire type, for exemple, is found on route 22 in XY, and yet there's no volcano in the route.

Just because Iwanko is a rock type doesn't mean it can't be found in non cave areas.

Last edited:
At least Route 1 has wild pokemon in it this time. I get why XY didn't since you have to go to the next town for starters. I guess there be about 2 or 3 pokemon in the route.
Actually, we know there's at least 4. Yungoos, Grubbin, and Pikipeck were all tweeted out by @pokemon (or in Grubbin's case, after the presentation). They had them prepped ahead of time because they didn't know what pokemon the demonstrators would find. Add in Ledyba and there's our first 4.

There don't have to be a particular area to find a certain type. Litleo a fire type, for exemple, is found on route 22 in XY, and yet there's no volcano in the route.

Just because Iwanko is a rock type doesn't mean it can't be found in non cave areas.

I'm willing to bet it won't be found in a cave anyway, it doesn't look like a cave dweller. You can probably just find it on regular routes.

I'm hoping that Alola has a lot of small towns and locations between each main city/town that has a gym. I really liked the gap between gyms in XY and I really want a map that is bigger with more cities/towns.

I'm hoping that Alola has a lot of small towns and locations between each main city/town that has a gym. I really liked the gap between gyms in XY and I really want a map that is bigger with more cities/towns.
Looking closely at the Alola Region map, I see what appears to be at least 2-3 cities/towns on Melemele, at least 4-5 cities/towns on the third island, and at least 2-3 cities/towns on the fourth island. Its hard to really distinguish any other towns on the last island and the first one...I can't decide if the port area could be a city or just a rest stop.

Looking closely at the Alola Region map, I see what appears to be at least 2-3 cities/towns on Melemele, at least 4-5 cities/towns on the third island, and at least 2-3 cities/towns on the fourth island. Its hard to really distinguish any other towns on the last island and the first one...I can't decide if the port area could be a city or just a rest stop.

Interesting analysis! I've been trying not to look into it too much, purely because I don't want to overhype it and create disappointment for myself.

With the size of the map and space between islands, it will be interesting if Soaring makes a return or they create a new water type version. Personally I'd love to see something like the S.S Anne, except much larger and maybe even a gym onboard?!?

I think that we will go counter-clokwise on the third island, the most eastern one. I saw on the ingame map that the observatory and the ice mountain is separate. There's a path between them which we will possibly travel on when done with the town near the habour. I also think that we will receive Surf somewhere near or in the walled city due to it being needed after the swamp.

I understand that, but if you look at the map of the starting island, you'll notice a path on the LEFT side of the house that stretches from the house and meets up towards the end of Route 1, basically forming a fork. The path we say in the E3 gameplay was entered from the RIGHT side of the house.
Look at the Artwork Map. There is a fence blocking that part off behind the house. My guess is that we take the left fork which has no mandatory grass patches and the one trainer that can be battled after that is lokely distractrd by something else. We likely get to the island, meet Kukui at the labe, take the left fork to the town, get teleported home, then can walk in the grass on the right hamd side and battle trainers. Its an elegant solution to having both a proper route 1 and a Kalos style route 1.

Back
Top Bottom