• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Dub Lovers' Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

XD375

Shane
Reaction score
For people who actually LIKE the Pokémon dub, either equally to the original or even more (like me) than the original.

Please, no flaming us...er...me for liking the dub more than the original.

Why do I prefer the dub?

1) I understand everything they say! I don't know Japanese.

2) The voices. Sarah Natochenny and Maddie Glaustein and the rest are much more preferred by me. The characters sound too serious in the original.

3) The music. I actually like the dub music just as much as the original, especially the action scenes and the movie BGMs, although I don't care for Movie 3's BGM much, and to tell you the truth I ahven't heard the original for this movie. Every dub song has at least one great moment.

My least favourite dub song is...since there are no names...that one that played after Pikachu shocked the crowd on the first episode, it also plays on almost every other episode whenever something exciting is happening and something breaks the excitement, like in the orienteering Battle Frontier episode when Ash fell in the hole.

If you still don't know what I'm talking about, it's the one that sounds like it's played on a trombone, it plays two notes, and repeats them a little more dramatically a second time.

I liked its placement in Episode One, but it was annoying after that.

My favourite dub theme - other than the Movie 1 and 2 scores - is the song that played in Episode One when Ash was riding the boke in the storm, and it was remixed in Fear Factor Phony at the end. I prefer the remix version.

There's this other song, the LAST one that plays in the dub version of Episode One, but it isn't the Anime Sound Collection, but if that's a dub peice, then that's my favourite.

3.1) The theme songs. I enjoyed most of the Japanese themes, but I refer the American songs, whether they be the ending song (Seasons 2-3) or the opening theme. I didn't, however, like the PokéRap GS or even the PokéRap too much.

4) The names. Although it isn't too prevalent, I prefer Ash over Satoshi and so on.

This doesn't mean I hate the dub, I love the original A LOT too, although I don't generally watch it, partly because of lack of access, and partly because my parents think I'm weird for watching non-English shows.

(Hopefully this won't just become the XD375 hangout...)

Count me in. The only thing I watch is the dub.

Same here!

I only watch the dub as well! ^_^

So yes, I would love to join! XD

Heh, I love the dub so much (well the 4Kids version anyway).

And heck, I've watched Pokemon every time it's on TV, and I enjoy watching the reruns.

Also, I've even memorized most (if not all) of the dub's episode titles. Yes, I've actually done that!! And if that isn't proof enough for you that I'm a HUGE fan of the dub, than I don't know what is. XD

Oh yeah, and of course, I also have a library of recorded VHS tapes of Pokemon. It contains pretty much all the dubbed episodes that have aired so far (except for "Beauty and the Beach", dang it, I wish I knew how to tape stuff back then - I also wish they would reair that episode...). In my Pokemon tape collection, I'm also missing quite a few Battle Frontier episodes, because of the fact that: 1. I don't have cable at my dorm currently 2. I still don't have a VCR yet ;_;

But anyway though, yeah, I'm definitely a huge fan of the dub. I've been watching it ever since it first started airing, and I've never stopped watching it ever (when the VA switch happened, I *wanted* to stop watching it, but I soon found out that would be impossible for me to do - I'm just very, very attached to the dub, as you can see).

Heck, if anyone here is a fan of the Bulbacast, I was actually one of the main speakers on the English Edition (it was a seperate version of the BC, and it was focused only on the dub version of the show). XD

We mentioned our favorite episodes of the dub and everything, so yeah, we had a lot of fun recording those EE episodes of the Bulbcast. So, if you're a fan of the dub, and you like listening to podcasts, you might wanna give that a listen. XD

I like the concept of this club, and I like the dub and all, but I fear it would be detrimental for me to join.

I like the dub, the only disappointing thing is they don't keep the original music.

I used to not think it was a big deal that 4kids and PUSA replaced the original music with new stuff...but then I actually started watching the Japanese episodes around middle Battle Frontier through D/P..and god...there really IS a big difference. Now I know what all those people were talking about.

I can live with the dub music but compared to what the Japanese get there's no contest, the music has much more feeling and emotion. Otherwise the dub is great.

I watch the original first, but I always watch the dub as well.

Whoa! People actually joined! This is great?

First question: What'd ya watch first, the dub or original?

I saw clips of the original first, like the Porygon clip, but the first full episode I saw was a dub episode.

I agree that the Japanese version has great music, but the dub music is excellent too!

The first episode of Pokemon I saw was the dub - "March of the Exeggutor Squad".

Yes, that was the first episode that I ever saw. It was so funny, cause I was so young at the time, that I didn't even *know* what show it was. I can't remember whether we watched the episode from the beginning, or if we caught it at the halfway-point or something. All I know is, I was watching that episode with my brother and sister (this was back when we watched all our favorite shows together, lol). XD

To be honest, it wasn't until around 2003/2004 that I actually saw an episode of the Japanese version (and I think the episode had subtitles...). ^^o

Can I join?

I saw the dub first. The first thing I saw wasn't actually an episode, it was the 1st movie. My little brother wanted to see it, and that's pretty much what got me interested in Pokemon to begin with.

The only Japanese episodes I've seen were the Porygon one and the Dratini one, and they had subtitles when I watched them.

The first episode I saw was, believe it or not, the very first episode that aired in the US, Battle Aboard the St. Anne!. It was meant to be a sneak peek into what the United States would come to know as Pokémon. I still remember how excited I was to watch it after hearing about it in my issue of Nintendo Power. I love the 4kids dub. I was always so excited every time I watched a new episode when I was still 9/10. However, the TAJ Studios dub has disgusted me to no end, and I find it painful to watch it be ruined by TAJ Studios and the new VAs. I have only watched original episodes that had been banned in the US.

I think I saw Battle Aboard the St. Anne first too! I know I am a Nintendo fanboy, and was excited, but was actually dissapointed in the "pointless" quality, until the next day when they actually showed the first episode. I was a casual watcher but I was a full-fledged fan by mid-1999, especially after I got the first three epiodes for my birthday.

I like dubs a lot. I prefer the Digimon dub over the original AND UNCUT versions, and the same goes for Yu-Gi-Oh! - the show that 4Kids apparently ruined like there was no end. I haven't seen the originals or uncut of any other anime, though.

Digimon dub is awesome. And they just kept getting better as they went along (they made a lot of mistakes with the first season. Remember Mimi's "baby brother"?).

That's one of the reasons I liked Frontier so much, because the dub was so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom