• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The dub should credit voice actors by role like in the Japanese version...

technickal

Reaction score
...instead of only giving a list of the voice actors who were involved in the episode in the credits, with no mention to roles. This would certainly be easier for those who are interested in who did whom, and also I imagine the VAs themselves would be happy getting role-specific credit. I don't see many disadvantages with this.

The disadvantage is that it would require them to update the credits every single episode instead of just having one set that they use for entire seasons at a time.

The disadvantage is that it would require them to update the credits every single episode instead of just having one set that they use for entire seasons at a time.

How do the American dub feature the credits? I kinda forgot.
Speaking of dubs, the Korean dub credits the voice actors by roles and updates the list after every episode. The role credits are added on like a layer over the ending sequence (which is sometimes jarring because it looks so out of place), so I don't see how updating after every episode could be that hard. I mean, it's not as if the ending sequence itself needs to be edited every single time.

There may be less incentive for the dub since the credits are typically scrunched on the screen and go by very quickly. I suppose they could put something up on the web site (like they did with the people who qualified for worlds).

How do the American dub feature the credits? I kinda forgot.
Speaking of dubs, the Korean dub credits the voice actors by roles and updates the list after every episode. The role credits are added on like a layer over the ending sequence (which is sometimes jarring because it looks so out of place), so I don't see how updating after every episode could be that hard. I mean, it's not as if the ending sequence itself needs to be edited every single time.
Disney's foreign dubs add an additional layer at the end as well, but they only update it season per season or when the dubbing studio changes. The American dub has normal, plain white-text-black-background credits with instrumental music every episode. Updating it every episode isn't that hard, but it's way harder than just sit and do nothing, which is the option they go for.

I heard the Canadian broadcast lists the full episode credits, so maybe this is more on CN's part than say TPCi, if this is indeed the case.

They do update the "Voice Characterization" list every episode (not anything else), but still don't bother with roles. 4Kids didn't, though.

I honestly don't understand why every cartoon/anime doesn't do this. It makes things so much simpler... though then again, who really pays attention to the credits aside from movies?

I know for rugrats, they listed every main character/side character and who voiced who in every episode...

This isn't a problem unique to Pokemon, by the way. Lots of other shows, both foreign and domestic, fail to credit voice actors with the roles they play when aired in the U.S.

This isn't a problem unique to Pokemon, by the way. Lots of other shows, both foreign and domestic, fail to credit voice actors with the roles they play when aired in the U.S.

Example: Peter Fernandez only ever credited himself as the writer and director of the English dub of Speed Racer. He never credited himself as the VA for any of the show's many characters he voiced (including Speed Racer himself).

Plus, there's also instances of VA's being credited without specifying which character they voiced. The Chipmunk Adventure is one such example of that.

Looks like this is a TPCi thing, not a DuArt thing, since their other projects credit VAs by role.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom