• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Pterosaurs had fuzz, and a nice portion of dinosauria had fuzz(Early/ primitive theropods ) and/or feathers(Maniraptorans, including aves/birds, deinonychosaurs which are raptors, and even a nice portion of tyrannosaurs,ornithomimosaurs,and therizinosaurs) and quills(Tianyulong and potentially ceratopsians).

Baby T-rexes had fluffy feathers that thinned out as they grew. So cute!

Baby T-rexes had fluffy feathers that thinned out as they grew. So cute!

What you're saying is complete and pure speculation on behavior and traits for a lifestyle we know nothing about yet and can not be inferred on the specimins that have been discovered so far.

No, no integumentary impressions for young T. rex specifically has been seen yet, especially since people keep trying to turn young T. rex into it's own distinct animal, Nanotyrannus.The only imprints we have so far of T. rex itself is a tiny patch of skin from around it's butt, that is either hard elephant-like patchwork of skin, or scales. As well as so far, Yutyrannus huali(Whose climate was like that of Virginia in the US) was a whopping 30(Just 10 feet shoter than T. rex itself) feet or so, and had a full coat of distinct (but not advanced) feathers. Plus there's no reason to shed feathers, feathers are as good at trapping heat as they are keeping one cool, that's why even in the hottest of climates, birds aren't going completely nude and never have been. Feathers are supreme insulators, whereas fur is mostly just keeping one warm. (Although elephants have a weird thermoregulator system with their own hair,and the air)

-------

Anyways as far as typing goes, I really find it weird that bugs don't do much damage to fairy type, I was hoping for more of the opposite! It's kind of a bummer, though most of the good bugs are already poison,steel, or fire in part anyways.

Anyways as far as typing goes, I really find it weird that bugs don't do much damage to fairy type, I was hoping for more of the opposite! It's kind of a bummer, though most of the good bugs are already poison,steel, or fire in part anyways.

That's true actually, Volcarona, Forretress, Scizor, Scolipede, Excavalier...except for poor Heracross, his fighting type makes him outright weak to Fairy. :(

That's true actually, Volcarona, Forretress, Scizor, Scolipede, Excavalier...except for poor Heracross, his fighting type makes him outright weak to Fairy. :(

And both of Heracross's STABs are resisted by Fairy. :l

Man, I remember when Heracross was THE sweeper and Signal Beam was considered one of the stronger moves in the game. Le sigh. I guess Quiver Dance Bug Buzz really scared GameFreak. Though I wish the Bug resistance had been added to Ice if they wanted another counter.

If Quiver Dance Bug Buzz scared them, then I don't know what they are thinking. Dragon Dance Outrage is what really pissed me off (thankfully Fairies are immune to that one now). Quiver Dance BugBuzz is great and all, I use it with my Volcarona, but I wouldn't call it a game breaker. Most Bug Pokemon have a hard time living long enough to set it up, I would think.

Nobody still didn't answer my question, Are Weavile, Frosslass, and Mienshao be at risk of falling into RU or NU this gen also could Pangoro be in trouble in gen 6 too since it has a 4x weaknuss to fairy types?

Frosslass should technically be stronger now that she isn't checked by Steel types. Can't speak for the other two, though.

I still don't understand the point of complaining about ice types. In a game like pokemon there has to be something that sucks defensively. Even if they don't won't something to be too overpowered (which was the reason they were doing this) it still doesn't mean ice and bug weren't exactly as they want them. Suggesting that they make ice strong to fair or resistant to fairy just because with out any sound reasoning other to buff it up is just ridiculous to me.

I still don't understand the point of complaining about ice types. In a game like pokemon there has to be something that sucks defensively. Even if they don't won't something to be too overpowered (which was the reason they were doing this) it still doesn't mean ice and bug weren't exactly as they want them. Suggesting that they make ice strong to fair or resistant to fairy just because with out any sound reasoning other to buff it up is just ridiculous to me.

There are justifications (that are in line with other type match ups) as to why Fairy would be resisted by Ice, it's fine if Ice is destined to be defensively poor, but many people (including myself) feel that Ice deserves at least ONE more resistance (besides itself) and AT LEAST a buff to Hail and Ice types inline with what Sandstorm gives Rock types.

Frosslass should technically be stronger now that she isn't checked by Steel types. Can't speak for the other two, though.

In the sense that her Ghost moves aren't resisted, yeah, but she's weak to Ice anyway, so it's not really much of a boost.

Ice's lack of resistances is too crippling to let stand, it destroys the usability of many Ice type Pokemon. Also, some of Ice's best moves are learned by a variety of different Pokemon (for instance, many Water types), so most people planning on using Ice offensively can simply use another type that learns Ice moves.

Not to mention that out of all the weather conditions, Ice's is the worst.

Sun has the benefit of raising fire's move while weakening water. The only real downside is grass types taking advantage of the sun having their weakness compounded.

Rain is probably the best given how many water types there are. It boosts the accuracy of Thunder and Hurricane, and raises the power of water.

Sandstorm is at least resisted by three types and gives Rock a SDef boost.

Hail is only resisted by ice and no other benefit.

Hail is only resisted by ice and no other benefit.

There is one other benefit - Blizzard can't miss, though this is only useful to Sp. Attack Ice types.

I must remind everyone that (and I can be wrong, any RU players can correct me here) the very purpose of Hail is to stall--and it does a damn well good job at that--you would see things like the infamous Stallrein, and then the stalling Abomasnow set (I think it was something like Leech Seed/Blizzard/Ice Shard/(something here)), and there are so many other Pokemon that can so easily just stall you out in hail, it's incredible, and can get really frustrating at times.

However, this generation? I'm not so sure if Hail is going to have the same usefulness as it did previously. I believe it was a huge pain in RU because there wasn't a lot of things that can check hail teams, but in higher tiers, this might certainly not be the case. I feel that Ice types would retain their staying power, and I don't think they'll be terrible or anything, just a nuisance at worst, as I believe that's kind of their role nowadays.

The concept of stalling doesn't work when it's used on a class of characters designed around being glass cannon sweepers.

The concept of stalling doesn't work when it's used on a class of characters designed around being glass cannon sweepers.

That pretty much sums it up.

Even if a Defense buff in Hail wouldn't make Ice types all THAT much better (helping some of the bulkier ones though), at least it'd be SOMETHING to help.

That pretty much sums it up.

Even if a Defense buff in Hail wouldn't make Ice types all THAT much better (helping some of the bulkier ones though), at least it'd be SOMETHING to help.

Yes, I do agree with you on that. You would normally see things like Rotom-Frost in Hail, Glaceon, the whole nine yards. Hail isn't an excellent weather by any means (which might explain why one might not see it a whole lot in higher tiers, specifically OU and Ubers now that it's banned in RU), but it can be quite annoying nonetheless. I do agree though that a defensive buff would at least be appreciated, however, since hail is, as a whole, underwhelming.

maybe have hail boost the chance for freezing moves to freeze, the defense buff could somewhat help(but maybe reducing the accuracy(or speed) of non-ice types in hail would be better?). and find some other 'hail modifications' (like how sun boosts attacks, weakens attack, reduces charge on solarbeam, increases synthesis/morning sun healing...)

Suggesting that they make ice strong to fair or resistant to fairy just because with out any sound reasoning other to buff it up is just ridiculous to me.

Why? About half of the existing type chart is just thrown together for the sake providing some sort of balance as it is. Is there really sound reasoning for why Dark has immunity to Psychic or, even worse, Steel has a nonsensical resistance to Psychic other than "oops Psychics had no counters in RBY"?

maybe have hail boost the chance for freezing moves to freeze, the defense buff could somewhat help(but maybe reducing the accuracy(or speed) of non-ice types in hail would be better?). and find some other 'hail modifications' (like how sun boosts attacks, weakens attack, reduces charge on solarbeam, increases synthesis/morning sun healing...)

I think all Hail currently gets (outside of abilities like Ice Body and Snow Cloak) is 100% Blizzard. And if anyone needs more proof of Hail's obscurity in the game, realize that there's only ONE perma-Hail Pokémon and he has some of the most weaknesses of all Pokémon.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom