• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
ohh im aware, i was suggesting buffs.

I know, I was just throwing out what we DO have. xP

Buffs I suggest are:
-50% buff to Defense is Hail for Ice types.
-All Ice moves get a 10% chance to Freeze in addition to their normal effects (it stacks).
-Grass types get a 50% Speed debuff (Any Pokémon with Ice type is immune).

i wouldnt want to see hail nerf grass types... grass is already in tough shape. maybe slow water types since well.... water stops when it gets frozen. (obviously ice/water dual types would be safe)

maybe try to find another type of move that benefits from hail as well, like how solarbeam benefits in sun, hurricane and thunder in rain.. etc

I think all Hail currently gets (outside of abilities like Ice Body and Snow Cloak) is 100% Blizzard. And if anyone needs more proof of Hail's obscurity in the game, realize that there's only ONE perma-Hail Pokémon and he has some of the most weaknesses of all Pokémon.

Actually, Abomasnow is considered pretty good. The ability to fly into battle and immediately start shooting blizzards that never miss is really powerful.

I think all Hail currently gets (outside of abilities like Ice Body and Snow Cloak) is 100% Blizzard. And if anyone needs more proof of Hail's obscurity in the game, realize that there's only ONE perma-Hail Pokémon and he has some of the most weaknesses of all Pokémon.

Actually, Abomasnow is considered pretty good. The ability to fly into battle and immediately start shooting blizzards that never miss is really powerful.

they never said he wasnt a decent pokemon, they said he has some of the most weaknesses of any type combo (tying with grass/dark and grass/psychic i think.. see a pattern.. poor grass types)

Hail slowing water types would be wonderful. Also making some "wind" moves do ice damage or having freezing chance, giving ice moves greater chance of freezing and a boost to ice attacks, and increasing defense or some stat in ice types

Suggesting that they make ice strong to fair or resistant to fairy just because with out any sound reasoning other to buff it up is just ridiculous to me.

Why? About half of the existing type chart is just thrown together for the sake providing some sort of balance as it is. Is there really sound reasoning for why Dark has immunity to Psychic or, even worse, Steel has a nonsensical resistance to Psychic other than "oops Psychics had no counters in RBY"?

Steel resisting Psychic makes *perfect* sense. Tin foil hats block mind reading (well not really, but :p). Plus, a lot of the Steel types are like machines, so it would make sense for that to not work well.

Only partly joking here. XP

Yeah, except that there are two Pokemon who literally carry around steel spoons and bend them with their minds. Being able to bend metal with telekinetic powers is a common depiction of psychic powers in fiction. Since they removed the resistances for Ghost and Dark in XY, they probably should have removed all of those abstract non-elemental type resistances from Steel.

The whole point of Steel was originally to counter Psy. Personally, I don't want to go back to that era when Alakazam could kill everything. It was dark times man, dark times.

Meh. Psychic really wouldn't have been that broken. It was overpowered in RBY due to a whole bunch of separate circumstances; the only Ghost Pokemon were part Poison, Ghost moves didn't exist except for Lick, a programming glitch made Psychic immune to Ghost moves anyway, the MOVE Psychic was ridiculously overpowered because it had a ONE IN THREE CHANCE to drop Special Attack AND Defense, the strongest Bug move was Twineedle and all of the Bug Pokemon in RBY were, again, terrible.

I actually think they went too far in nerfing it in GSC. It went from essentially having zero weak points in RBY to four in GSC because Ghost and Bug were actually relevant, Steel resisted and Dark was immune to it, just because. Offensively it only hits two things SE so it really didn't need another type to have immunity to it.

i wouldnt want to see hail nerf grass types... grass is already in tough shape. maybe slow water types since well.... water stops when it gets frozen. (obviously ice/water dual types would be safe)

maybe try to find another type of move that benefits from hail as well, like how solarbeam benefits in sun, hurricane and thunder in rain.. etc

Yeah... you're right. Screw the Water types anyway! They've been up on their high horse for FAR too long. Unfortunately, it's hard to think of another move that would benefit and thematically fit in with Hail and Blizzard...

Oh no, I'm not doubting Abomasnow. I recently recommended one for a friend to use on his playthrough of Platinum and he says he's easily the heaviest hitter on his team (among Pokémon like Tentacruel and Electavire). I'm not saying his not a force to be reckoned with, just that he's a bit too frail for his own good. He can still be useful as long as you keep him away from the obvious threats (Special inclined Fire types most of all), but he still has A LOT of weaknesses he has to look out for.

~~~

You know what I'd like to see though? More Pokémon that have abilities that make them immune to Hail damage (like Overcoat or Snow Cloak) that would be useful on a Hail team to counter the weaknesses of Ice types.

Maybe Fairy-types could get their own weather condition. Full Moon?

Well, based on that idea, we should give dark and ghost types their own weather condition Haze, psychic Zen, dragons Legend, electric Electromagnetism...

In other words, fat chance.

Maybe Fairy-types could get their own weather condition. Full Moon?

Well, based on that idea, we should give dark and ghost types their own weather condition Haze, psychic Zen, dragons Legend, electric Electromagnetism...

In other words, fat chance.

Haze is already a move.

Also, just because you give something to one thing, doesn't mean you have to give something to all of them, that is such a false argument.

Although, I definitely don't think Fairy needs anything like a weather condition, from what we know of it so far. So far, most of the weather conditions are based on actual weather, and the moon's phase doesn't effect weather in any obvious way (outside of abstract concepts like gravity, etc.). I could see then doing something with it, but I don't know if you would be able to call it a full blown weather condition, just like you don't call trick room or tail wing a weather condition. I think they would continue that trend, so any future weather conditions would be things like fog, wind, etc.

Well, based on that idea, we should give dark and ghost types their own weather condition

Also, I think any weather effect relating to darkness would probably boost Dark and Ghost types as well.

Haze (move) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

psychic Zen, dragons Legend

These ideas make no sense.

electric Electromagnetism...

Maybe, but Magnet Rise is kind of close.

Although, I definitely don't think Fairy needs anything like a weather condition, from what we know of it so far. So far, most of the weather conditions are based on actual weather, and the moon's phase doesn't effect weather in any obvious way (outside of abstract concepts like gravity, etc.). I could see then doing something with it, but I don't know if you would be able to call it a full blown weather condition, just like you don't call trick room or tail wing a weather condition. I think they would continue that trend, so any future weather conditions would be things like fog, wind, etc.

By that logic, Sunny Day isn't a weather effect either.

A moon based weather condition would have enough of an effect to be worth implementing, effecting things like visibility, temperature, etc.

Last edited:
well, i just googled "weather types" and found these: Rainy, Stormy, Sunny, Cloudy, Hot, Cold, Dry, Wet, Windy, Hurricanes, Sand-storms,Snow-storms, Tornados, Humid, Foggy, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sleet.

The weather conditions we have cover all of these pretty well, with Rainy also covering stormy, cloudy, windy, hurricanes, tornados etc.

i still think that rain, hail and sandstorm should give different effects on wind based moves. like in rainy weather, hurricane has 100 accuracy, in hail it would have a chance of freezing/ or would deal ice damage, in sandstorm deals rock damage/lowers accuracy (like sand attack)
And maybe in rain have some ground types affected by electric moves (like neutral or not very effective)

while fullmoon or whatever doesnt seem to make a lot of sense as a weather condition, the game itself does have day-night so maybe that could count as something? maybe at night ghosts moves hit harder, boost evasion of dark/ghosts types, moves like moonblast get better, moonlight recovers more HP

I feel like Snow and Hail could possibly be two different weather effects. One is because it's apparent that Ice-Type Pokemon are becoming less useful (not terrible, look at Mamoswine) and another is because Hail doesn't really cover Ice-Types all that much. Maybe Hail can focus on the defensive buffs such as slightly increased defenses while whittling down your opponent with many preexisting stalling abilities, like Ice-Body. Snow could focus more on the offensive side, giving Ice-Type attacks more power and granting new abilities like one that doubles their speed. Snow and Hail were both weather effects in the Mystery Dungeon series, so it's not an option they wouldn't consider.

Also, they could give Snover "Snow Warning" and "Hail Call" as two abilities.

Looking at fairies strengths, does anyone else find it weird how it's super-effective on both fighting and dark, dark is supposed to be the dishonorable type in Japan and fighting the honorable type, I don't understand the logic in making fairy both super-effective and resistant to both of them? Does anyone have any ideas on the logic behind that?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom