• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Gym Leader battles that surprised you the most upon your first challenge

Elesa in BW easily. Although I knew of Emolga's existence, the sheer fact that they pulled the rug from under your feet and gave you a levitating electric Pokemon is amazing. So wait, I need a rock type Pokemon or move? Uh...........

NORMAN, I had a Lv. 37 Blaziken and I still barely got out of there alive (yeah I suck T_T)
Tate and Liza in Emerald, they really fought like competitive players.
Cyrus (he's the one who had the Gyarados right?).
Whitney, but that goes without saying.
Bugsy in HG, he killed everyone T___T

Last edited:
Whitney embaressed me.. twice.

Candice i was so comterbale in the battle i was already thinking about what to do after the match or weather to get a spot tea, then she sent in froslass and blizzed 4 of my pokemon. She had hail going and every blizzard it i had no answer.. altohugh i stil would of won had Octillerys flamethrower not missed, Rageee !!!

The twins, cuz I saw that the 2 they sent out were their only 2, and didn't think it would be so bad. Never have I been so wrong.

Also, Elesa, cuz she seemed to be the first gym leader with a strategy she was able to pull off well. Even when I tried countering it with my blitzle, to use motor drive to suck up volt switches. She then bested me with her zebstrika /:^

I remembered playing Sapphire and reaching the Petalburg Gym. Some of you may think that Norman (player's dad) being the Gym Leader would be the surprising part, but that's not the case. Actually, the part that surprised me the most was his Slaking. It has an ability that prevents it from moving every second turn, yet he is very tough because Slaking is just a really hard hitter. Tate and Liza in Emerald was a surprise for me because they rely on Earthquakes to do damage, and as you know, Earthquake is a devastating move.

For White, I am surprised with Clay. Not because he is hard (he is not the hardest), but because of his choice of the final Pokemon. You see, if you have a Grass-type by the time you made your first KO (Krokorok), then he will bring out Excadrill next, which was supposed to be his ultimate Pokemon. Now, the surprising part is hearing the final Pokemon music while Palpitoad was sent out, since Clay refused to put it against a Grass-type (I used Servine). Iris is the other Leader I was surprised, because she used Dragon Dance Pokemon, which I am honestly terrified to see. Fortunately it wasn't too bad, since I used a Serperior with Leech Seed and Coil.

Thanks for reading.

When I first played Silver and Crystal, Whitney was easy. I had zero problems with her and whipped her easily. When I played SS, however, things changed.

It took me three tries to finally nail down a win and if I hadn't set up an entry hazard with my Beedrill, I may not have been able to pull it off. I owe the win to my Sting and if he hadn't been over-leveled, I might not have made it.

Elesa absolutely stunned me on Black. I was swearing, cursing and very close to pitching my DS against a wall thanks to her Emolga. Even though I had what I thought was a counter, it didn't work; that Drilbur was leveled by her Zebstrika. My Boldore could hurt her but Ironhide couldn't do much against the two flying rats from Hades. I don't know how I managed to pull it off, but I still managed to beat her and get the Badge.

My run-through on White was a different story and it's the reason why I say that as soon as I possibly can, I will have a Golett on my team. Little guy is a lifesaver.

With pokemon Red I had plenty of trouble with Misty. Poor Charmeleon. He is still traumatized today. And he doesn't even exist anymore. Go figure! Brock also surprised me, but that was more that his onix fainted after a tackle from caterpy. The little green monster took the last chip of HP from the rock snake. That was so awesome!

My poor easily irritated child self, why did Miltank have to torture you so? Whitney, Whitney, Whitney...

Whitney. I had a pinsir with brick break but her clefairy ruined my plans with magma storm(from metrenome).second time i copped her 3 turn power rollout
third time my pinsir was male so her miltanks attract stopped me from attacking .FOURTH time i used different strategy i send out female zubat to get a hit from rollout then switch to geodude so it cant use attract but it KO's my zubat with stomp and the fifth time i FINALLY beat her.

Well, aside from Whitney and her Bovine of Divine Punishment, there was Elesa, lady of endless volt switches.

Whitney was so unexpected. She KO'd the majority of my Pokemon, and I had to slowly chip away at her Miltank's HP with an underleveled Hoot-Hoot.
Not fun.

Also, Norman wasn't necessarily a surprise, but I underestimated him completely. I took out his Vigoroth, only for it to be replaced with another one. No win for me.

Admittedly, Drayden in W2. I've never had a problem with Dragon-types before, and made it through the rest of the gym fine, but it took me a good 4 tries to beat him.

Considering how easily I defeated the Gym Leaders before him, Norman was a shock, especially considering that he trains Normal Pokémon; the weakest type in my opinion.

Cheren really surprised me. I thought he'd be a joke since he was the first Gym Leader, but he ended up being hard with that Work Up-spamming Lillipup. Boy ws hne annoying!

Whitney in HeartGold. Remembering how difficult she was back in GenII I was prepared for a really tough battle but she was really easy in the remake. The reason might of course be that I was simply a lot better at battling and stuff than I was back in the day, but it still came as a surprise.

Brycen in Black. Ridiculously weak.

Koga in Yellow. The Gym Leader before him, Erika, used Pokémon ranging from level 30-32. Koga however uses Pokémon ranging from level 44-50, which was very surprising and I thought I had maybe accidentally skipped a Gym.

Whitney probably was the biggest surprise, no one excpected of her as a third gym leader to be that tough.
then there are Tate and Liza.God, I can't find the words to describe how much i hate them, that Claydol and Lunatone -.-,I battled them 4 times till I manage to beat them

I remember when I first fought Whitney in Crystal and after KO'ing Clefairy I thought it was such an easy battle. Then came those haunting words... Milktank used Rollout... I lost within the next few turns.

I can't even remember a struggle when I first battled Brock in LG (mainly because my Bulbasaur sweeped with Vine Whip)

But I do remember the pain when I used Charmander. Even with Metal Claw, having a team of Metapod, Kakuna, Pikachu and Rattata didn't help...

I've been playing Platinum for the first time and ahhhhhh Gardenia was such a pain. Not because she was tough, but because all my Pokemon were traded from my Diamond and NONE of them would obey me. My Aerodactyl even decided to take a nap in the middle of the match and just waited until it fainted. So many retries because of that. :c

Koga, Lenora & Whitney were all surprises at just how hard they were to beat but the longest I ever spent on a gym was Chuck in Gold. His Poliwhirl used to destroy me every single time.

Clay's Excadrill surprised me as well.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom