• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Hardest Choice, Pick your single types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiley Willy

Registered Pretty Boy
Reaction score
So I see a lot of people talk about their favorite pokemon and their favorite type combos and such, but I present a challenge.

What is your favorite pokemon of only a single type?
(If a thread talking about single typing has already been made then by all means delete this thread.)

Also if you'd like to add, explain why you like the single typed pokemon and also how you cover for it's varying weaknesses.

As an added bonus, do you prefer using one specific type over any others or are you more of a balanced team kind of person?
If you prefer one type over another what are your reasons? (Do you prefer one type based on strategic usage or aesthetic interest?)

The reason why I'm asking about all of this, is I feel like people that choose to focus on specific pokemon typing over others helps define their personality, laugh at the concept if you will, but I feel like varying types have weaknesses and strengths that define their trainer more than their pokemon.

In order to give you an idea, let me start out;

My favorite single typed pokemon is Gorebyss.
I love Water type because it's powerful. In my opinion it's the second most powerful type with the first being Dragon. However ironically, I hate playing Dragon types.
I hate Dragon because I personally find it too powerful and blunt. (However I do not hold anything against people who like Dragons, cause lets face it, Dragons are good; I just personally do not use them.)
My favorite type is Normal, because of it's insane diversity and adaptability.

{TL;DR} So tell me guys; What's your favorite pokemon of a single type? Do you enjoy that pokemon because of it's specific type? Why do you prefer one type over another?
(I think those are the main questions I'm meaning to ask. I hope nobody's intimidated by the length of my topic. :D)

Probably Milotic, because she's so beautiful and she can tank hits like there's no tomorrow.

With that said, my favorite type is definitely Grass, and all three of the runners-up are Grass types (Meganium, Sceptile, and Serperior.)

I like the Grass type because its the underdog of the Starter type, and who doesn't love an underdog? I like going with the lesser popular choice, and when you're starting a Pokemon game, the first of these you see is usually the Grass type Starter.

How do I cover for its weaknesses? Usually by having a Fire and Water type along side it. The three types really do compliment each other very well. Steel and Dragon also help out.

Normally, I don't like having multiple Pokemon of the same type on a team, so I guess I'm the balanced type.

As for how I choose my team? I have to say, a mix of both strategic value and aesthetic preference. I use the Pokemon I like, but since I have a lot of those, I can usually arrange them in a way that is tactically sound.

Probably Milotic, because she's so beautiful and she can tank hits like there's no tomorrow.

With that said, my favorite type is definitely Grass, and all three of the runners-up are Grass types (Meganium, Sceptile, and Serperior.)

I like the Grass type because its the underdog of the Starter type, and who doesn't love an underdog? I like going with the lesser popular choice, and when you're starting a Pokemon game, the first of these you see is usually the Grass type Starter.

How do I cover for its weaknesses? Usually by having a Fire and Water type along side it. The three types really do compliment each other very well. Steel and Dragon also help out.

Normally, I don't like having multiple Pokemon of the same type on a team, so I guess I'm the balanced type.

As for how I choose my team? I have to say, a mix of both strategic value and aesthetic preference. I use the Pokemon I like, but since I have a lot of those, I can usually arrange them in a way that is tactically sound.

I'm just curious, do you prefer to put your grass pokemon in the line fire over your other types? Do you play more defensive or offensive? Does playing Grass types give you any sense of security(for instance when I play Water type I feel safer with my choices than I would when playing something like a Dark or Bug type.)? Hope you don't mind me asking.

@Wiley Willy

No problem at all.

When I use Grass types....I guess it depends on the Grass type I'm using. That's another thing I love about that type, its Pokemon are very diverse and can fill a multitude of roles. They're not like Fire types which are all fast (the good ones anyway) or Water types who (generally) prefer bulky offense.

I generally prefer bulky offense Pokemon, but my battling style changes every so often. I also highly value good support Pokemon too.

For example, when I'm using a Meganium, I like to send her in, heal my party of status, maybe spread Poison here and there, and then call her back and let someone else do the heavy hitting.

If I'm using a sun team, Venusaur is my main sweeper. Once it sets up, Venusaur can end games, so I feel comfortable sending it into the line of fire without much worry (provided I have successfully set up the sun first.)

Breloom, on the other hand, I use to Spore things first and foremost, then it hides behind a Substitute and attacks from the relative safety of it. Roserade is a T-Spikes user. Etc.

I wouldn't say I feel safer using Grass types, but I do feel more comfortable analyzing them. When I'm in battle, I normally feel safer with whatever Pokemon I know has the advantage over my opponent. When I'm discussing Pokemon on forums though, I will freely admit that Grass types are my forte, and I'm not quite as confident when talking about other Pokemon.

I dunno if any of that made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom