• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Hoenn Region

So, as I'm sure you all know, the town map layout/design/look has changed considerably since Hoenn. Starting in Gen V, and continuing on into Gen VI, it has been made more as thin lines representing routes, with little dots representing each city. Back in Gen III it was made up of larger lines and more blocky and different sized city markers. It was better like that, IMO.
But my question is, what's the NEW Hoenn map going to look like? Is it going to fit the the new style, or follow a design more similar to the original?

So, as I'm sure you all know, the town map layout/design/look has changed considerably since Hoenn. Starting in Gen V, and continuing on into Gen VI, it has been made more as thin lines representing routes, with little dots representing each city. Back in Gen III it was made up of larger lines and more blocky and different sized city markers. It was better like that, IMO.
But my question is, what's the NEW Hoenn map going to look like? Is it going to fit the the new style, or follow a design more similar to the original?

It's probably going to be closer to the new style, they probably want the map to look more accurate and realistic now.

They seriously need to remove alot of the water, i know alot of people have been complaining about the water routes for years but just recently i noticed how big they are, it pretty much forced me to buy a load of repels (oh the dread when you use your last repel...), seriously i like Team Magma much more than Aqua because i want them to win so they can get rid of the water.

They seriously need to remove alot of the water, i know alot of people have been complaining about the water routes for years but just recently i noticed how big they are, it pretty much forced me to buy a load of repels (oh the dread when you use your last repel...), seriously i like Team Magma much more than Aqua because i want them to win so they can get rid of the water.

a load? It only took me 5 max repels between liliycove to mosdeep and from mosdeep to stoopolis and from stoopolis to pafilog. It was 3/4 water routes depending on version ( r/s or E) and you didn't even encounter a mandadory one until the 6th gym badge.

you'll need 10 max in the main story line if you stay on track.

the water routes don't need to be removed but maybe a second option for those who don't want to take em.

a load? It only took me 5 max repels between liliycove to mosdeep and from mosdeep to stoopolis and from stoopolis to pafilog. It was 3/4 water routes depending on version ( r/s or E) and you didn't even encounter a mandadory one until the 6th gym badge.

the water routes don't need to be removed but maybe a second option for those who don't want to take em.
It still has way too much water when compared to the other regions, i spent over 40 max repels during the main story and that's not counting with all the other repels i used when not in the main story, they seriously need to reduce the water in those routes. You are also forgetting the Abandoned Ship route wich has really way too much water.

It still has way too much water when compared to the other regions, i spent over 40 max repels during the main story and that's not counting with all the other repels i used when not in the main story, they seriously need to reduce the water in those routes. You are also forgetting the Abandoned Ship route wich has really way too much water.

That's what makes hoenn unique you land lubber :p it would take away from the groudon/kyogre conflict which is land vs water hoenn is half land half water which is represented by the version mascots. Not mandadory either but once again that route + the regis ( route 134?) 10 max repels if you know where to go. The water made heonn feel bigger and more differnt from other regions the water is apart of hoenn's ID if anything the water routes should stay but make more worth while pokemon to catach while surfing.

I mean wind waker had annoying water routes which dragged on for 75 % of the game ( and it was like 85 % water too) but it was part of wind waker so they kept it they just made it easier to transverse the water. game freak cannot get rid of the water routes ( and if they did hoenn wouldn't feel right) instead they can make a second option maybe mr briny can take you everywhere on his boat feels like a cop out but it works

That's what makes hoenn unique you land lubber :p it would take away from the groudon/kyogre conflict which is land vs water hoenn is half land half water which is represented by the version mascots. Not mandadory either but once again that route + the regis ( route 134?) 10 max repels if you know where to go. The water made heonn feel bigger and more differnt from other regions the water is apart of hoenn's ID if anything the water routes should stay but make more worth while pokemon to catach while surfing.

I mean wind waker had annoying water routes which dragged on for 75 % of the game ( and it was like 85 % water too) but it was part of wind waker so they kept it they just made it easier to transverse the water. game freak cannot get rid of the water routes ( and if they did hoenn wouldn't feel right) instead they can make a second option maybe mr briny can take you everywhere on his boat feels like a cop out but it works
I don't want the water routes to be removed, i want less water on those routes, they could add alot of shallow areas on those routes so that you don't need to constantly Surf to get through them, it gets tedious and boring in those routes really fast because of the constant need to use Surf and repels to get through them.

I agree, add more sandbars in the Sea routes. We have lakes, ponds and such in the land. But I've always liked that the Hoenn region is just one massive yin-yang symbol of land and water. It's very cool. I definitely want Sootopolis remade, and the Space Center needs to be able to launch you into space to catch Jirachi and Deoxys. Or at the very least, have a reference to that rumor like the FR/LG Lava Cookie truck (which was a reference to the Mew truck rumor).

I guess my main thing would be to make Feebas FAR MORE easier to catch. I've played every generation since the beginning and I never found/caught a wild Feebas until last year in BW2...

I agree, add more sandbars in the Sea routes. We have lakes, ponds and such in the land. But I've always liked that the Hoenn region is just one massive yin-yang symbol of land and water. It's very cool. I definitely want Sootopolis remade, and the Space Center needs to be able to launch you into space to catch Jirachi and Deoxys. Or at the very least, have a reference to that rumor like the FR/LG Lava Cookie truck (which was a reference to the Mew truck rumor).

I guess my main thing would be to make Feebas FAR MORE easier to catch. I've played every generation since the beginning and I never found/caught a wild Feebas until last year in BW2...

Ha, I was playing through Sapphire last year and decided to have a Feebas on my team. I told myself I wouldn't leave until I found one, and guess what? I found one on the third or fourth water tile I fished in :p Lucky me xD

Ha, I was playing through Sapphire last year and decided to have a Feebas on my team. I told myself I wouldn't leave until I found one, and guess what? I found one on the third or fourth water tile I fished in :p Lucky me xD

Yeah... Lucky you.... :/

I never really bothered to see how bad the water routes are. But I probably just never really thought about it. You guys are probably taking this too seriously and only think it's long because of the trainers and wild Pokemon. Hoenn is half land half water, that's why Groudon can be found in the middle of the land area (Mt. Chimney) and Kyogre is in the middle of the water area (underwater trench). In fact you spend more than half the game on land. The Climax, 7-8th gyms and ending of the game are all at the end mostly.

As for Feebas... YES YES PLEASE MAKE HIM EASIER. Too rare and never worth catching, never caught one I don't think up until X/Y? I'm not sure. but dear arceus make that ugly thing easier to catch.

Had Sapphire for nine years still haven't caught Latias on my main file and failed catching Regirock....
Is it even worth going back to just get Latias (yep still haven't started it over so much memories).

And now we can use Repels in a chain, it will be WAY less annoying. There's no reason to remove water, it's Hoenn's signature. What comes after, remove Sinnoh's mountains?

As for Feebas... YES YES PLEASE MAKE HIM EASIER. Too rare and never worth catching, never caught one I don't think up until X/Y? I'm not sure. but dear arceus make that ugly thing easier to catch.

Feebas isn't catchable in XY. The only games where he's easy to catch are the 5th gen games, which is basically similar to the 3rd and 4th gen method except that the spots are marked.

I don't think there's much that needs updating. The water routes could stand to be busier, adding in more rest areas and landmarks to make them much more navigable. So maybe more islands, shallows, maybe some palm trees for a bit of eye candy. I'd also like to see more lava in the Mt. Chimney area (maybe they could even use this as an obstacle where you have to ride a Pokemon like Torkoal to cross them). Finally, I want Mt. Pyre to be redesigned to be a bit more straightforward. Instead of having a main path that leads nowhere and a side path that is mandatory for progression, design it so it's one long path weaving in and out of the mountain (with lots of optional paths to explore, of course).

Reminds me of Pokemon Rangers: Almia. Riding a Torkoal across lava would definitely be awesome inside the volcano when raiding the Magma hideout.

I don't want the water routes to be removed, i want less water on those routes, they could add alot of shallow areas on those routes so that you don't need to constantly Surf to get through them, it gets tedious and boring in those routes really fast because of the constant need to use Surf and repels to get through them.

The water routes are what makes Hoenn unique, but yeah - there should be more areas for stops. Make them optional, though, in case there are people who want to Surf/Dive the entire routes in one go. Also... I always get lost when trying to find the treasure hunter's house to trade shards for evolution stones, so hopefully they add some landmarks or posts so I don't have to check the map every five minutes.

They might very well keep the water, but put somehting else alongside Tentacool and Wingull in it.

Have you already see Kyushuu and the other Japan areas? If you see Kyushuu is a big, semi-tropical island and is the warmest area of Japan, and, of course, there's a lot of water. Hoenn is based on Kyushuu, it's obvious that they are going to make Hoenn 40% water and they aren't going to take it off, it's like wanting to take the forest and mountains out of the rest of the regions even if Japan is 60% forest and mountains (refering to Gen I-IV).

One thing I want is to them to add places based on Okinawa archipelago, since Okinawa is near Kyushuu. It would make a great post-game experience, and, of course, add more things to Ever Grande City, I never noticed how big that islet was until I saw it on Bulbapedia.

Have you already see Kyushuu and the other Japan areas? If you see Kyushuu is a big, semi-tropical island and is the warmest area of Japan, and, of course, there's a lot of water. Hoenn is based on Kyushuu, it's obvious that they are going to make Hoenn 40% water and they aren't going to take it off, it's like wanting to take the forest and mountains out of the rest of the regions even if Japan is 60% forest and mountains (refering to Gen I-IV).

One thing I want is to them to add places based on Okinawa archipelago, since Okinawa is near Kyushuu. It would make a great post-game experience, and, of course, add more things to Ever Grande City, I never noticed how big that islet was until I saw it on Bulbapedia.
I understand that but after replaying Emerald recently it started to get really aggravating the constant surfing and need of max repels, it kinda broke the flow of the game to me. Also if you actualy read my posts after that one i said that i don't want the water routes to be removed but i just want those routes to have a little less of water or at least add a bunch of shallow areas that we can walk on so that we don't need to constantly surf and use repels just to get the through those routes.

I understand that but after replaying Emerald recently it started to get really aggravating the constant surfing and need of max repels, it kinda broke the flow of the game to me. Also if you actualy read my posts after that one i said that i don't want the water routes to be removed but i just want those routes to have a little less of water or at least add a bunch of shallow areas that we can walk on so that we don't need to constantly surf and use repels just to get the through those routes.

most of those routes are opitional to surf on, and plus, is that hard to actually battle the wild pokemon you find in the water? When I first played R/S I really didn't had any problem with them, and there is the black flute who can be made and is free of charge and also the pure incense now. There is 17 water routes in Hoenn, 3 can't be really surfed because of the water stream that force you to go one-way only, about 5 of them are optional, the other are just too small or have already some spots, the only ones that don't have "resting spots" are the route to Sootopolis, to Ever Grande and Sky Pillar, which are 4 routes? And if you don't want to find wild pokemon in Sootopolis' route you can dive.

most of those routes are opitional to surf on, and plus, is that hard to actually battle the wild pokemon you find in the water? When I first played R/S I really didn't had any problem with them, and there is the black flute who can be made and is free of charge and also the pure incense now. There is 17 water routes in Hoenn, 3 can't be really surfed because of the water stream that force you to go one-way only, about 5 of them are optional, the other are just too small or have already some spots, the only ones that don't have "resting spots" are the route to Sootopolis, to Ever Grande and Sky Pillar, which are 4 routes? And if you don't want to find wild pokemon in Sootopolis' route you can dive.
You didn't had a problem with them but i did and it's not just me, a lot of people when they complain about Gen 3 the first thing those people complain about is the over abundance of water in the region, if you don't want them remove some of water from the water routes that's fine but i want them to remove some of the water or at least add a bunch a shallow areas for us to walk on to cut the tedium of the constant surfing and usage of repels, i see no point in continuing this argument so i'm done here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom