• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The "If Pokémon Were Real" Thread

If Pokemon were real I'd imagine councils would catch Psyduck and Golduck and stick them everywhere so that weather-inducing moves and abilities don't go out of whack...

I could probably never be a trainer. Even watching Pokemon battles in the anime upsets me sometimes. I understand it's the bond between trainer and Pokemon, all that stuff, but I hate seeing Pokemon get hurt. I couldn't let my Pokemon go through so much just to get a little piece of metal. I'd do contests or run a day care or something.

I'd be at least 3 stone lighter than I am in real life, considering how much cycling my character does in order to breed Pokemon. And think about it, the discovery of Missingno would probably lead to global desturction, with people evaporating into thin air with Pokemon and Animals curling in on themselves. Ughh...

With that said, there is something else that bothers me, something I hadn't considered until very recently.

Scientific experimentation.

We're dealing with creatures that can shoot fire, ice and electricity. There are plenty of "inquisitive" minds who would love to know how that may function. So what would they do? Pokemon vivisections. It would be nothing for a top scientist to slice open a Pikachu in order to study the internal workings or rip a Golurk to pieces in order to extract the energy from it. In that case, the phrase "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" may come into play and we may have to team up with an organization similar to PeTA in order to stop the slaughter. Not a pretty thought, believe me.

Dear god...that makes sense. I seriously never thought about that. If Pokemon DO suddenly appear, and that does happen, I'm really afraid of what I might do. I really do want to be the law abiding protagonist, but I know that if that were to happen I would probably make my own Team and start ripping pokemon away from irresponsible trainers. Than get my ass whooped by a ten year old kid....

With that said, there is something else that bothers me, something I hadn't considered until very recently.

Scientific experimentation.

We're dealing with creatures that can shoot fire, ice and electricity. There are plenty of "inquisitive" minds who would love to know how that may function. So what would they do? Pokemon vivisections. It would be nothing for a top scientist to slice open a Pikachu in order to study the internal workings or rip a Golurk to pieces in order to extract the energy from it. In that case, the phrase "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" may come into play and we may have to team up with an organization similar to PeTA in order to stop the slaughter. Not a pretty thought, believe me.

Dear god...that makes sense. I seriously never thought about that. If Pokemon DO suddenly appear, and that does happen, I'm really afraid of what I might do. I really do want to be the law abiding protagonist, but I know that if that were to happen I would probably make my own Team and start ripping pokemon away from irresponsible trainers. Than get my ass whooped by a ten year old kid....
Exactly.

I consider myself a law-abiding citizen. I've never so much as thought of attending a protest but if something like this were to happen...I really don't want to think about what I'd do. Seeing a report that some lab somewhere received "a shipment of Golett to be processed for further study/dissection" might send me over the edge. I might go Team Plasma on someone's tail.

I'm interested as to why people think it would be exactly like it is in the games. I would think it would be far more complicated than that. If we're talking about pokemon suddenly appearing in this world, it would indeed cause havoc on a scale that would rival all the world wars and would pretty much be a global disaster. As for how they would be treated. Some would fear them, some would want to learn about them, and others would seek to define what role they are to take in society. They are clearly more intelligent than the animals we already have, but would the governing bodies of the world see it that way? Things would be quite different. The question would become can we responsibly use their power, or rather can they make that kind of distinction themselves? It'd certainly be nothing that ordinary people would be allowed to do. Would the animals that already exist become extinct in the face of such a powerful onslaught? Would a new world order arise to replace the one that currently exists?

If we were somehow transported into the world of pokemon, that would be more withstandable, I should think. We would've ALWAYS been with pokemon and thus understand them and would've more effectively integrated them into society's functions. I would think it would become a matter of personal preference whether you keep them in balls or not. Things would still be more complex than they are in the games, with the focus not being on becoming a trainer, at least not in a "go on an adventure and beat up random people and bad guys, and it's all accessible to even the most idiotic of people". No. I would not deny that working with pokemon would be central to how society works, but there are other professions than being a trainer, but they do all involve being able to control pokemon in some way. It just wouldn't be for battle, and for other practical uses. The regular kind of trainer would still exist, but I imagine it would be a lot harder than the games make it out to be. You won't exactly be able to take the measly little Bulbasaur you just caught and be able to grind on random wild pokes until you face a trainer that just so happens to have junk that's just as weak as you or less. At least not unless it's in an organized sort of way. You would have to be cautious of lots of more powerful pokemon living in the wild EVERYWHERE, and if you bump into someone, they could possibly be either more powerful or more skilled than you. (at any rate, I don't think you would just randomly battle on sight) Fighting a Gym Leader would be like facing a true master of the art. They're supposed to be professionals, so they are bound to have pokemon that are stronger than what most people have. Again, unless it's true there is more of an organization thing where less skilled trainers are in one league and the more capable ones are in higher ones. I don't think this should be true since the Gym Leaders are a challenge, and as a challenge, there should be no restrictions on the kind of power they have. (but then again, if I were to put all my logic together, the Gym Leaders would also have more varied pokemon, and not just one type) It would all culminate in a large tournament of the best trainers, the best of which get to face the Elite 4 and Champion. (yeah, based on the anime, I don't care) They would also qualify for the World Tournament and face other strong trainers from all regions, in a bid to be the best in the world. Needless to say, not everyone could do it. Most wouldn't even be able to beat a Gym Leader, much less a certain number of them. I'd be okay with something more humble myself.

The poke world obviously doesn't have the political problems we do, but there is the possible history of it. Most disputes seem to be settled over a pokemon battle anyway. The bad guys, if they exist, they would be quite difficult to handle for ordinary people. More capable trainers might be able to handle them, but I doubt they would be as relied on as they are in the games. Chances are, the bad guys would BE the more capable trainers, otherwise they would not be so successful. It would indeed be a pretty harsh world and it would be silly to even suggest a child could handle it, regardless of culture. There's no telling what else would be different, but I personally don't believe breeding, the dex, or even some of the evo methods would be the same. However, at least you would still have your own pokemon, although it may not be what you wanted it to be. If you want that, then I better hope you had good luck finding a pokemon you could either beat or befriend in the wild.

Re: The "If Pokemon Were Real" thread

I live in a big city so if pokemon were real I'd certainly think twice about getting one. I don't really feel like cleaning up my charizard's giant turd or going to buy 5kg of meat for it to eat everyday. Probably just get a Caterpie, Azurill or some small/baby pokemon to play with.

Peta would throw a fit....

Well aren't animals already pokemon? Just ones we can't shove in pokeballs? Or pit against each other? We can train certain animals to fight each other already. If pokemon were honestly real I think I would have to take a stance against battling. Or would have grown up used to it and not be bothered by it, just like eating miltank burgers probably wouldn't bother me.

On another note. If they were real, I wonder how long you could leave a pokemon inside a pokeball before they starved to death or do they get food while in one? How many people would be able to use storage pc's or would be capped at 6 pokemon? Too many questions D:

Simply answer though, I would get an Arcanine. Then spend my time hunting for elusive legendaries and commandeering masterballs from other trainers to catch said legendaries when I find them.

I'd imagine broken buildings, temporarily closed-off roads, and fires would be much more common, and almost a daily occurrence. Building would also be much larger, to accommodate pokémon as well as humans.

Also, kids' scuffles would be a serious matter.

Re: The "If Pokemon Were Real" thread

I think it would be awesome if pokémon followed us around it would be epic and amusing to have pikachu follow me around

I'd eBay my Pokemon if I had to. I'd only want my Murkrow and a Minccino and all the cute ones. It would have to happen.
And if we did pick starters I'd have to go wth Totodile. He's just totes adorable

Oh man, if my teams were real. I don't know how I'd handle my joy. Along with my team in their Pokéballs, I would probably have a Hoppip that I'd hold (To keep it from blowing away) or a Squirtle. Those two are actually some of my favorite Pokémon, which I find pretty funny considering my other favorites are huge bugs and dragons.

If Pokemon were real, the world would be so much stranger than it is, so much darker, so much madder. And so much better.

Governments could use psyshic types for mass mind control to win every election
Chansey would revolutionize the medical industry
Electric types would be hunted down and permanently imprisoned to supply power
Rain Dance and Sunny Day would make agriculture boom in profits
Scientist could learn analyze the brains of Metagross and obtain unfathomable knowledge
Fighting types could deal with construction
Rock and Ground types are instant drills underground

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom