• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Kalos Region Speculation and Discussion

Re: Region Speculation and Discussion Thread

but how is a third version better than sequels, I ask?

I never said that, read again my post :) Actually, I said (or at least I meant) that I don't want any more third versions; but I don't want sequels that are glorified third versions in disguise either. I want full-fledged sequels that can stand on their own. And yes, I'm aware of all the new content B2W2 had (expanded Pokédex, 3 new leaders, two new cities cities and a new battle facility [PWT]), but, with the sole exception of the added cities, all of those features have been done in previous third versions so most probably that new content in B2W2 would have still been present in Gray anyway, had it been the traditional way.

Anyway, back on topic. I think it is another isolated region and, a gain, it will be stated to be located in a different country than the previous games.

Based off the pictures we've had for routes 2 and 3 I think it's safe to say the starter town is the southern one with the red buildings.

I'd be interested to know if we'll be able to locate this in relation to other regions. The first four were all able to be located in comparison to each other, but Unova was just "far away".

Looking at the map, the only distinctive area leading off the picture is the massive mountain range in the east/southeast. Maybe it goes to the west of Johto, where the big cloud is in this picture.
World-Map-pokemon-942767_1920_697.jpg
I sincerely hope it is not another isolated region, having them at least somewhat strung together makes it seem much more immersive.

Judging by the real world location Kalos is based on (France), it'll probably be far away from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova. The locations of the in game regions parallels the real world locations. Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are relatively close together because they're all based on areas of Japan, Unova is far away from the other four because it's based on New York, and Kalos will likely be far away from all 5 because it's based on France.

REGION ANALYSIS GO!!!
TMmrcq5.jpg

First off it looks likely that we'll be starting at the central south area of the region with the big red-roofed building which leads to the bigger blue-roofed building and then leads in to a forest.
kPnYMDI.jpg

Lumiose City is very well designed in my opinion considering how the skyscrapers are arranged around the outskirts of the city just like its real life counterpart. Paris likes to stay classy so it ain't about skyscrapers yo!

The green structures with the fountain to the southeast of Lumiose City is definitely a Versailles analog, though albeit on the mirror side of the real world location.

There's a lava pit in the desert. I'm guessing it's some sort of geothermal facility considering Gamefreak's inexplicable obsession with power generation.

Over on the west coast peninsula there's a structure in between a town of blue-roofed building and another structure of stones somewhat like Stonehenge that many have been speculating to be a graveyard of sorts. This place is most definitely the Pokemon equivalent of the Carnac stones.

Also on the west coast peninsula and north of the PokeCarnac Stones is somewhat of a light blue castle-like building on an island. No doubts it's definitely Mont Saint-Michel. Maybe we'll have tide mechanics in these games.

Looks like we have some PokeGermany with that PokeNeuschwanstein looking Castle on that mountain before the snowy place. The whole east part doesn't really have as much of a French feel. Kind of PokeSwiss with that snowy mountain town, and maybe PokeDutch with that windmill in the wetlands.

Lots of rivers... Rather annoyingly there seems to be a river connecting the PokeSeine and the PokeRhine. Rivers do not work that way. I mean, it doesn't look like a canal at least.

So people has stated that Kalos is in a somewhat star shape. Looking at the Pokedex the use of central, coastal, and mountain habitats fits nicely with the pentagonal/star shape of the region. Combining the three pentagons together even makes the French flag!
46.jpg

Last edited:

I'd be interested to know if we'll be able to locate this in relation to other regions. The first four were all able to be located in comparison to each other, but Unova was just "far away".

Looking at the map, the only distinctive area leading off the picture is the massive mountain range in the east/southeast. Maybe it goes to the west of Johto, where the big cloud is in this picture.
World-Map-pokemon-942767_1920_697.jpg
I sincerely hope it is not another isolated region, having them at least somewhat strung together makes it seem much more immersive.

Judging by the real world location Kalos is based on (France), it'll probably be far away from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova. The locations of the in game regions parallels the real world locations. Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are relatively close together because they're all based on areas of Japan, Unova is far away from the other four because it's based on New York, and Kalos will likely be far away from all 5 because it's based on France.

True, but I think it would make sense to have some borders, even if not strictly following real life. Otherwise we could very well never again see two regions near each other.

Lots of rivers... Rather annoyingly there seems to be a river connecting the PokeSeine and the PokeRhine. Rivers do not work that way. I mean, it doesn't look like a canal at least.
YES! That bothers the heck out of me as well. Also in the Southeast, there's a river that joins into another which is going the opposite direction. And then there's the one that goes over a mountain range, turns around and goes back over the other way.

Last edited:

Going by the map alone, the landmarks seem more intriguing and defined than those of Unova.

On the left, there are some rock formations that seem to be based on the Stonehenge, which gives cause to the "Kalos borrows elements from Europe, not just France" idea, because the Stonehenge is in England. Of course, France also has some stone formations, but they're not in a circle. Maybe we'll get some ancient civilisation story like we did in Generation V.

Also, the burial ground at the front makes the general area resemble the Stonehenge. I'm personally very excited to visit that area, as I had been planning on visiting the Stonehenge for some time, now.

I'd be okay with never having two adjacent regions again, having multiple regions in one game leads to problems.

I'd be okay with never having two adjacent regions again, having multiple regions in one game leads to problems.

Yeah, I guess. Even so, It'd be nice to at least have a location relative to others, even if you can't travel between them (actually wasn't suggesting or expecting this). Again, it makes the world feel so much more connected and real, rather than being some random spot on the planet that is cut off from everything else.

Didn't read the last few pages so I don't know if it's been brought up before, but does the new region look a little... small? And barren? Unova was a lot more spaced out then the previous regions and that seems to be the trend now. A lot of that had to do with Unova being so linear but the cities and landmarks in Kalos still seem very spaced out. You look at Sinnoh and Hoenn, not only were the regions themselves big but they had so much to them. It could just be the style of the artwork, but hopefully Kalos has plenty to offer in terms of locations. I'm not impressed from what we've seen of it so far.

Yeah, I guess. Even so, It'd be nice to at least have a location relative to others, even if you can't travel between them (actually wasn't suggesting or expecting this). Again, it makes the world feel so much more connected and real, rather than being some random spot on the planet that is cut off from everything else.

I wouldn't mind that, I just don't want to see them tack extra regions on, that tends to cause problems in distribution and pacing.

I'm curious about where exactly the split is between the three subregion Dexi (lol, what IS the pluralization here?).
The set of what appears to be lab complexes in the desert is pretty rad looking. We already have screenshots of the stilt lava ones, but I'm eager to see the others.

YES! That bothers the heck out of me as well. Also in the Southeast, there's a river that joins into another which is going the opposite direction. And then there's the one that goes over a mountain range, turns around and goes back over the other way.

yeah those rivers look drunk. i think the map maker had a liiiiitttle too much fun with the waterways.

Didn't read the last few pages so I don't know if it's been brought up before, but does the new region look a little... small? And barren? Unova was a lot more spaced out then the previous regions and that seems to be the trend now. A lot of that had to do with Unova being so linear but the cities and landmarks in Kalos still seem very spaced out. You look at Sinnoh and Hoenn, not only were the regions themselves big but they had so much to them. It could just be the style of the artwork, but hopefully Kalos has plenty to offer in terms of locations. I'm not impressed from what we've seen of it so far.

yeah, it just looks wierd, but i'm guessing it actually reflects the in game map a lot more than other regional maps have before. hopefully you wont notice as much in-game. but yeah, you're totes right.

and it probably looks small because you can see each building down to the windows and doors, which you couldnt really in previous regional maps. i think?

I think that to the east is probably Unova. It could only be either Unova, Johto or a new region later on, since Sinnoh and Hoenn are Islands and Kanto is already connected to Johto to the west. I could be Johto, but I doubt they would do that because then they would have to add Kanto should they add Johto in.

I have to say that the Kalos Region might end up taking my current favorite Hoenn and replacing it.

I think that to the east is probably Unova. It could only be either Unova, Johto or a new region later on, since Sinnoh and Hoenn are Islands and Kanto is already connected to Johto to the west. I could be Johto, but I doubt they would do that because then they would have to add Kanto should they add Johto in.

huh? Johto/Kanto shouldn't be that far from Sinnoh & Hoenn considering they are all based on the Japanese landmass. I'm suspecting that Kalos is far from them just like real life France is far from Japan, as it would make sense.

As for the region itself, I really like it, but it looks very compact. Unlike Unova, they used the entire French country from the looks of it and compacted it into a region. I wonder if its actually possible they are considering introducing other regions around France, like the UK or Spain but I'm not especially counting on it.

The region overall should look good and beautiful, I'm glad they decided to go with a French-inspired region for the 3DS considering the beautiful landmarks France is known for.

1. Unova should be to the west across the ocean like NY is irl. GF has been accurate insofar with the geography of the pokemon world. Despite the size of Kalos, biggest region yet(I explained why yesterday), something tells me the way Xerneas and Yveltal are directly correlated to forest and sky makes me think of GS, where the other legendary was obtainable after you got to Kanto. It just rubs me the wrong way to think its one locale, especially if you consider how the two clouds in the corners hide a mountain up top and a green patch of something in the other.
2. Again, biggest region yet guys, don't let the map fool you. Its unova ambiguous,with only some towns being more detailed. Lumiose holds route 5, which means 4 routes till you reach it. Before that its the starting town, the first city, a forest, and then the first gym city. There you have to the right the route leading to the mid region castle area, which has to be the league. That's 5 routes and 3 cities before Lumiose! I can't see the map but iirc you still got:
mountain town to the north. Maybe a short route making it two towns close to each other, like starting town and blue roof palace.
Then you have two ice towns, another city somewhere in between.
Desert has one inside it and another cpstal one.
3 west of Lumiose, east of Stonecircle, which has a town.
North of stonecircle.
South of stonecircle are two more.
And so on.Sorry for the mess on a 3Ds, yesterday's post made more sense. But yeah. Lots of micro routes that are hiding from plain sight, along with the long stretches that are marked. Possibly missed one right outside of Lumiose's walls, and the ranch like area before those northern islands.
We're talking about 17-18 towns and cities, the largest amount yet, more then B2W2 unova which was holds 16. Then we have at least 25 routes to connect em all, and probably more like route 17/18. Add in 4 or so caves, 2 forests, and whatever the hell is that white lacunoas like place in the north before the snow and its fucling huge. Hoenn is gonna feel small, mark my words.

I'm looking at the picture of Kalos
350px-Kalos.png
and trying to figure out what type of Legendary pokemon will be there. To me it looks like the is gonna be one part Rock or Ground legendary and an Ice one.
There is definitely something mysterious in this part:
eCw8aJz.png

I like the Region. it seems quite diverse and interesting.
I really can't divert where the starter town could be.

Back
Top Bottom