• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Legend of Zelda vs Mario

The Legend of Zelda or Mario?

• Mario

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

Cyber Jet

Something for nothing
Reaction score
Retro%20Mushroom%20-%20Super%20(2).png
vs
Eagle_Triforce_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png

These are two extremely good video game series that where created by Shigeru Miyamoto. Both of these have fought the test of time and are still popular today. But which one is better?

For me it is The Legend of Zelda because I enjoy the extremely well done plot and also love the challenging puzzles and the epic boss battles.

The Legend of Zelda. Don't get me wrong, I loooove Mario, but it's nice to play a game where the princess isn't such a fucking damsel in distress all the time.

I will always consider The Legend of Zelda to be the greatest video game series ever, but this matchup is incredibly difficult to decide regardless. Given that Donkey Kong (I'm treating it as a Mario game, as everyone should) saved Nintendo from bankruptcy, put Miyamoto on the path to Legend status, and may well be the greatest arcade game ever (the only real competition being Pac-Man and Space Invaders), it's tempting to say Mario. It should also be noted that Mario has an outstanding track record when it comes to spinoffs: given that roughly 90% of all Mario spinoffs are at least playable (if not enjoyable), no other franchise comes even remotely close to Mario's combination of quality and quantity when it comes to spinoffs.
Still, I'm going to go with Zelda. Why? Because Zelda has consistently made not only good games, but great, often innovative games. It's like the game-franchise equivalent of Pixar, only without a clunker like Cars bringing down the rest of the pack. As fantastic and groundbreaking as Mario 64 was, Ocarina of Time was better and utilized the N64's capabilities even more intuitively. Even on the one instance when Zelda was terrible (the Cd-i games, which don't even count as Zelda games), it was still fantastic (because the Cd-i games were so hilariously poor). I rest my case.

I'm saying Mario. It's always been just so much more fun for me than Zelda for some reason. While Zelda often tends towards puzzle/adventure game, I prefer the more simplistic platforming style of (most of) the Mario games. And like Arc Blader said, those Mario spinoffs - wow. So many, so varied, so good.

Mario. While I love both series a lot, I prefer the more playful atmosphere of Mario games. And Yoshi rules.

Both are awesome series. However, I have only played Twilight Princess from the LoZ series (that will be corrected in the near future), so I'm going with Mario. I've had more experience with it, and because the Kart, Paper and Party series of the franchise continue to bring me hours upon hours of fun, along with Kart and Party being great when friends and family come over.

The Mario series has Yoshi, which is awesome, so Zelda just cannot compete with Yoshi. Mario series wins!

I think Zelda is a little bit more open, while Mario games are usually very linear. However, the Zelda games still manage to give some direction, so you normally won't get lost. This is important, because Western gamers think it's open enough, but Japanese players still get the guidance that they want.

Also, I am terrible at platformers. Yoshi's are the exception because of flutterjump, but even then I'm still pretty bad.

Zelda has Mah Boi, and I prefer Zelda games over Mario Platformers, so it's better.

I vote Zelda. It seems more like Mario for the older people. Incredibly good storyline, fantastic boss battles and harder puzzles. Mario is still awesome, but I prefer something that's a bit harder to beat and with more storyline. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was incredibly awesome, but all Bowser wanted was a huge cake. He could just walk to mario, peace, and ask peach for a cake.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom