• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon

Ah, so that's why Kasumi's voice actress said she was recording for an "extra" episode.

Misty "appearing again" in Japan is probably not something new, but it's this special for Japan which will be her next appearance there.

Very strange. Anyone know why it was released here first then?

Pimping the tenth anniversary, probably. If they released it in Japan first it would be cemented into the continuity and probably wouldn't come out here until next year.

If this is going to air in Japan then the time for it would probably be pretty soon. Ash-tachi are almost back to Pewter City and around now would be a good time, since they are relativly close to Cerulean and Pallet.

Archaic said:
I don't believe this has been posted yet, so let me be the first.

If you want to look at 42:25 in the video, you can see a credit for script translation. This translation group is well known for translating video games from Japanese to English. There can be no doubt now. This script was originally made for Japan.

EDIT: It's also been pointed out to me that the credits state the writer as one Shinzo Fujita, and it's also under the "Japanese Production" part of the credits. No doubt whatsoever. This was made for Japan, and it'll probably go to Japan eventually as well.
What'll be interesting is seeing how the version we saw butchered the special.

Even when 4Kids has ordered productions themselves (e.g. the Yu-Gi-Oh movie), they've been produced more or less as if they were any other episode with the normal dubbing process after the original production is done. I guess it just makes it easier for everyone.

The dub script was written by Carter Cathcart, who's been adapting Pokémon for a while now. So it looks like at least one thing is the same...

My thoughts:

1. At least pikachu didn't have memories from the first movie. I would say that the writers weren't completely retarded, but...

2. "The Mewtwo you're all familiar with"? WTH? Dude, only 2 people in that room would know about him -- and they promised not to tell. Yung knew of Mewtwo for these possible reasons: a) knew of TR's work on one somehow, b)saw him flying around one night, c) visited Bill the Lighthouse guy, d) well, I don't know of anything else that makes even a little sense

3. If Yung's legends are taken from Pika's memory, which I assumed, why isn't suicune and celebii in there, or did I miss them? I mean when the legends merge with Mewtwo? And why does Rayquaza show up, but I thought Pika's memories only went up to movie 5?

4. I would've preferred MM revealed to be Setau Kaiba than Yung. If you're going to blatantly rip-off YGO stuff, at least make it a cool crossover so you don't sound so lazy. The concept was like the first movie, but it seemed like traces of 3 as well, in that the super pokemon weren't "real".

5. I liked the "actual" battling. Crank up that rating, boys! And I assumed Mewtwo used iron tail, not tail whip (since it glowed before it hit).

6. WTH with Ash? Whoops, Misty's toast ... now to help Pikachu ...

Heres my review, orginally posted at PokeCommunity:

The voices are terrible. Ash's voice sounded like richie and way off from the orginal. May's voice sounded like a grandma, and Brock's voice was terrible... Misty's voice was near the orginal. Jame's voice was okay, but it got worse as the special went on. Oak's voice was terrible.

Overall, the new voice made the special really bad. My ears were bleeding after I watch the special. Don't mention the intro, it was horrible. The plot and the narrator were the only good stuff about the special.

Well....I don't think the voices were all that bad...Some lacked emotion, sure. But I guess it just takes time getting use to them? I think people are over reacting way too much.. How come the got the original narrator's voice though? Isnt that guy part of 4kids too?

I did like the plot though. Seemed more mature than usual to me. And the music was unaltered, right? I don't care about bad voices if it means no more 4kids music, and no more onigiri changed into sandwiches. We're all downloading japanese episodes anyways, so it really isnt that big of a deal.

Okay, I didn't mind the story too much at all, though I do have to say...It could have been a lot better...=.='' But I can cope with it. However, it's mainly the voices that seriously irritate me. Everything is just fine (excluding the opening).
First off...Some of the actors/actresses were pretty bad at VAing in my opinion, no offense to anybody. Ash reminded me of DBZ's Gohan for some crazy reason, and at the same time I kept thinking Ash's voice was Max's whenever I couldn't clearly see his face....x_X Really confused me. Brock's was one of the worst, along with Prof. Oak. Brock sounded like an OLD dood..Oak sounds....just bad. Well I guess I COULD get used to Oak's voice, but it sounded either emotionless or whenever he spoke, he never really means any thing he says. Misty's was okay, but again, not the same emotion as Rachel Lillus would put in, but I could cope with that. Max's was okay, nothing to much to complain about his voice, but could be a little better. May's....gyah she just sounds WAY too mature....Team Rocket's voice I'm able to cope with, excluding Meowth. NOBODY can replace Maddie Blaustein's voice. Maybe I'm really overexaggerating at this point, but seriously, MAddie's voice just makes Meowth, Meowth! It gives Meowth this annoying, yet cute and hilarious personality, but this Meowth doesn't satisfy me 120%. As for the narrator, I actually don't even mind in truth. I sorta like this narrator a little better than the narrator in the actual series, but that's just a minor thing and so I don't mind at all.
I kind of liked the fact that Mewtwo was in it, but seriously....How the heck does that Dr. Yung guy know about "the Mewtwo you're all familiar with"?? That's kinda been bugging me ever since I saw it.....Kyaaaah....Didn't mind Dr. Yung's voice though, since he's only a character here. Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy's were okay....Kinda like the 4kids version a lot better, but I guess it doesn't matter for them. Maybe if I watched this episode without knowing of the new VAs, I'd probably think this episode is more like a fan dubbed.

Yep...I guess it COULD have been better, but..it seems that PUSA hasn't actually made a lot of REAL effort into this "special"

Last edited:
The plot was cliched and the motive for the villain was pretty dull. Kicked out of the Institute for unethical practices and now wants to make the world pay. Oh, gee, every villain wants to rule the world.

The scripting of the kids made Pokemon feel like some mindless timewaster and not the series with the fluffy but upstanding messages. And what was up with that godawful opening? I mean, okay, so maybe the themes for the Hoenn season weren't too good either, but at least the lyrics tried to suit the seasons and had an actual melody. I actually think the very first theme song when Pokemon first aired really suits the overall show, even though "catching 'em all" has been sort of de-emphasized in the series. But I suppose going so far back in time would be sort of weird, since Misty no longer travels with Ash and Brock.

I have to say, Luna Tiger's review was the best and sums up what I feel exactly. The only thing is that I wouldn't be so generous with the rating. Seeing this special just made me decide not to even bother with the dubs anymore. I already know what happens anyway, but I can't take the idea of torturing myself with the new voices. I always said that if they were bad, I'd just stick to spoiler forums and episode guides, and at this point, I'm with Pie. I've made my choice and it's old VAs or I could care less.

Chosen-kun said:
I'm worried how Season 9's opening is gonna be after seeing their 'work' on Mastermind's. *shudder*

I'd hardly consider the 'rap' to be indicitive of what the Season 9 intro will be.

Chances are it'd stick to the same basic idea as every other series intro so far.

They could always just pull a Mezaze Pokemon Master and rejazz the original theme too.

Edit:

Also in very, very, very, small defense of the rap - I did actually quite like the bit about the regions in it. ^^ If it wasn't so horribly done, it'd have been pretty cool. Could work pretty well in an actual song too.

Swtazngal, I am happy to hear that you and I were thinking the same thing about Ash. I've heard so many people say he sounds like someone from One Piece or Naruto, but I kept thinking Gohan myself, actually. Which is why I believe that Ash's father is actually Goku - I mean, they have basically the same story (if you use DB instead of DBZ).

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
LOL, Kyle!! XD

Great use of words there, for your first post on Bulbagarden!!!! ^^

I thought you were talking bout me for a sec. XDD Yea my first name's Kyle. X3

Goku.... Ash's dad..... T_T;

Dude I wish everyone would calm down a little... How about giving the new voice actors a chance to improve? Yes, we like the old ones better, but we'll get used to these too in due time.

You know, recently Sega decided to change the voices in the Sonic games and replace them with the voices from Sonic X, aka 4kids voices. And fans were outraged and sent email saying they wanted the old voices back.

But in this case you want the 4kids voices to come back? Yes the voice actors of Pokemon are good, but 4kids is evil, they already killed Sonic games for me, and Yu-gi-oh GX and Shaman King, so I want them to stay away from Pokemon at least. even if it means crappy voices. But as I said, give the new voice actors a chance to get better!

4Kids are not evil. Well, the team working on Pokémon isn't evil anyway. I really don't get some people, (not talking about you, Sapphire Luna.) If you want it to be like the Japanese version then you have the raws and subs. But the current version with its minimal edits and ok music and voice acting that is much better than seen here is good enough for most of us. As far as the majority of the audience is concerned, being like the Japanese version is not better because they have never seen the Japanese version. They know the voices they have been hearing in Hoenn and will judge Brock on how much he sounds like Eric Stuart's Brock, not Yuji Ueda's Takeshi.

Most of the voices were bad (they'll grow into their roles), however the rest of the content was...well, GOOD. Hey, if there was a way the original actors can reprise their roles without anyone else from 4Kids getting involved (composers, writers) then I'll join your cause to get the actors back. For the time being, I'd just say let Pokemon USA have it.

-Straightforward non-punny scripting
-Even for original Made-For-USA animation (ala Duel Masters), PUSA pretty much gave us a look at their version of standards and practices: NO HOLDS BARRED.
-Music, oh God the music. Aside from the Pokemon Opening Rap (which kills my Hirokazu Tanaka theory) pretty much all aural elements were just the same as importing a tape or getting a fansub: MOMENTS OF SILENCE AND BGM CUES ARE 100% BY THE ORIGINAL JAPANESE COMPOSERS.

swtazngal said:
NOBODY can replace Maddie Blaustein's voice. Maybe I'm really overexaggerating at this point, but seriously, MAddie's voice just makes Meowth, Meowth! It gives Meowth this annoying, yet cute and hilarious personality

That's mostly because I'm annoying yet cute in real life as well. I owe hilarious to the writers.

Maddie, if I may ask a question: What anime or other work will you do now, now that you're (at the moment) no longer voicing Meowth?

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom