• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The most important Gen V upgrade

The new learnset template

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TTEchidna

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
And here it is. The one we really need input on.

The learnsets.

Currently, abandoned and hidden in the dark reaches of my userspace is my proposed revamp of the template. It's not the current design I have in mind for the header, but the basic setup is the same:

[bp=User:TTEchidna/Movelist Redo]So your thoughts?[/bp]

EDIT: Updated the proposal. Votes may be entered either here or on the talkpage (I prefer both). Requests for additional tests can be made on the talkpage.

Last edited:
I like having the additional move effects listed in the learnsets. I'm all for changing the template.

Hmm... I'm personally not sure about listing the move's effects, because there's no way of doing it concisely. I mean, I like what you've done in the examples, but additional effects are the kind of things that - to my mind - you go to the move's page for. Personally, I'd just stick with the Physical/Special/Status categorisation that we currently have.

I see you also added Priority to the example tables. I'm ambivalent on this one. It's the sort of thing that can be easily expressed in table form, but at the same time, I dunno if enough moves have increased or decreased priority to merit its inclusion. There's also the fact that Priority's a relatively 'minor' attribute of moves, in that (to my knowledge) it isn't listed anywhere in-game, whereas all of the other attributes that we include in the tables are.

So at the moment I'm leaning 'no' on the additional effects, and either way on priority.

Listing the move's effect is redundant. That's what the article for the attack is for.

Personally, I also think it has too many columns. That and they're all squished together.

I liked the old column layout better, but Priority might be a good thing to have. Might.

also agree. just looks messy with all the {{tt}} in there.

Yes. Seriously, we don't need to explain "move", "TM", "type", "level" or "contest" to anybody. If someone doesn't understand what they mean, either they haven't ever played a single Pokémon game or they must have some mental difficulties. "Appeal" and "jam" should be self-explanatory terms for any Gen III or IV player as well.

And "cat.", "pwr", "pp" and "acc.%" are rather trivial abbreviations too. Really, "father" is the only one worthy of explanation.

Last edited:
Listing the move's effect is redundant. That's what the article for the attack is for.

The nail has been hit on the head. I don't think we need to change much, if anything, with the current layout. Progress for progress's sake is something Dolores Umbridge would say.

Yes. Seriously, we don't need to explain "move", "TM", "type", "level" or "contest" to anybody. If someone doesn't understand what they mean, either they haven't ever played a single Pokémon game or they must have some mental difficulties. "Appeal" and "jam" should be self-explanatory terms for any Gen III or IV player as well.

And "cat.", "pwr", "pp" and "acc.%" are rather trivial abbreviations too. Really, "father" is the only one worthy of explanation.
Instead of abusing tooltip, we could just link to the articles about those things. That way, we can go much more indepth. But I do agree that father needs explanation.

Anyway, I thought we were going to be using MS for fathers now, because it's much shorter and more efficient. Like on Bikini Miltank's page with the pre-evo moves. I think that Priority would be a nice addition, but it would link to the Priority article, not abuse tt (as I mentioned above). Also, I don't really like the plain text-style links - keep them blue. And as mentioned on the talk page, sortable lists would be good.

Move tutor would stay the same, only using colordark for the non-available text, instead of plain color, like the wild Pokémon templates do.

And no black links? You sure?

Well, which paired versions have separate tutors? FRLG are the same, as are DP...

...eh?

Different forms have different movesets... but what can Attack Deoxys learn that Defense cannot?

[bp=User:TTEchidna/Movelist Redo]So your thoughts?[/bp]

Should we add move effects besides damage? Sometimes they're quite complex, and unique to one move (say, Leech Seed).

So what do we do? Keep with the current stuff (Type/Category/Power/Accuracy/PP/Contest/Appeal) or add the additional effects? I'd be fine with either one.
I'd say yes, but that only concerns the column about odds of effect (E%). Whenever I skim for moves when I put together a moveset, I sometimes search for moves who have a high chance for effect, so having its own column instead of going about my own knowledge about the moves (which isn't foolproof) would be a nice addition. Serebii has that column, hence why I've often found myself going there instead of here.

When it comes to contest ratings (type, appeal, jam), I'd say they aren't needed, but I have yet to even care about that game feature so my opinion is obviously biased.

...eh?

Different forms have different movesets... but what can Attack Deoxys learn that Defense cannot?

Well Attack Deoxys can only be Tutored stuff in FR while Defense is LG for obvious reasons. But now the tables can only imply it's both. It's really only a small thing that I waited for this update to mention.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom