• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The National Pokedex removal thing had happened a generation prior, but no one seemed to complain.

We're supposed to pay $360 for a not-sufficient improvement and a cut in Pokemon amount, with us not being able to use our 10+ year old Pokémon.
Since when does a game cost $360...

Yes that was a rhetorical question.Cause I think it's unfair to add the price of the Switch to the cost, as it's not a device solely for playing Pokemon games. It offers quite an extensive library, and I don't think you should buy a console for one game or franchise only. I mean, if you really want to, nobody is stopping you of course. But no, you don't pay $360 for SwSh

It’s all “Making models is hard!” “They have other things to make up for that” (they don’t) “You’re gonna buy it anyway so stop complaining”. Or some other playground-tier arguments.

Not saying Sword/Shield will suck, but there’s no actual refuting, just dismissing.
That's what GF is promising us, though. Will it hold true? That remains to be seen. As is, we just don't know yet. Not to mention this is quite a personal matter. For some people, nothing will make up for the cut, for others there will be. That depends on your priorities, preferences, and playing style.

And from a battle specific perspective, there are plenty of pokemon that can fulfil a similar role, so not having a certain Pokemon species won't necessarily hinder gameplay in that sense. Do I think SwSH will be well-balanced? I don't have very high hopes, but we won't know for sure until the game has been released for a while.

I do still dislike the cut greatly, and I think their reasoning why is not very satisfying, even if I see why. And I'm curious to see what will happen with a more limited roster.

But it sucks for people like me who enjoy collecting ribbons and such things on their pokemon.

Since when does a game cost $360...

Yes that was a rhetorical question.Cause I think it's unfair to add the price of the Switch to the cost, as it's not a device solely for playing Pokemon games. It offers quite an extensive library, and I don't think you should buy a console for one game or franchise only. I mean, if you really want to, nobody is stopping you of course. But no, you don't pay $360 for SwSh
There's people who only buy consoles for the Pokemon game.

A practice that I highly recommend against. I got a Xbox 360 for Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and I still regret it to this day.

Maybe we should all just do what I do.

Wait for the games to come out, wait for other people to play the game and give their reviews, and then decide if SwSh holds up enough.

I waited for reviews of USUM. When they told me that it was the same experience as SM, I skipped those games. Glad I did.

I wasn't going to allow myself to buy a Switch just for Pokémon; I couldn't justify that. With the 3DS, it was a bit different, because due to its backwards-compatibility, there was frankly a plethora of Pokémon games that you could play on that system, let alone everything else from the DS. But I doubt the Switch is going to end up like that, so I've been pushing myself to try different Switch games that are a little outside my usual comfort zone. (Also out of nowhere they ported Onimusha Warlords. My resistance was done for.)

Last edited:
There's people who only buy consoles for the Pokemon game.

A practice that I highly recommend against. I got a Xbox 360 for Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and I still regret it to this day.
Oh absolutely. I was just saying that you don't pay $360 for the content of the game. Having to buy a console so you can play it is a different hurdle. Perfectly justifiable too

I wasn't going to allow myself to buy a Switch just for Pokémon; I couldn't justify that. With the 3DS, it was a bit different, because due to its backwards-compatibility, there was frankly a plethora of Pokémon games alone that you could play on that system. But I doubt the Switch is going to end up like that, so I've been pushing myself to try different Switch games that are a little outside my usual comfort zone. (Also out of nowhere they ported Onimusha Warlords. My resistance was done for.)
Same, though I didn't buy the 3DS till ORAS was announced, and I do play other games on my handhelds too. Pokemon is just one of my main reasons

What also really helped for me was that the Switch offers quite a few indie games, which are often not very expensive

While I appreciate the suggestion, I'm pretty sure it's up to us how we spend our money, and determine our own experiences.
Exactly. It is up to us how we spend our money.

So you can't blame the rest of us for wanting to wait for reviews or skip out. It goes both ways.

Literally me. I bought a Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance and a 3DS, all exclusively for Pokémon.

So yeah, we exist. We're not just a myth xD
Saaaaaaaame- the only games I have for my 3DS and GBC are Pokemon. The only time I didn't get a system just for Pokemon was the DS- I got that one to play Nintendogs. XD But it wound up being my most useful system because it could play the Advance Pokemon games that I missed getting a GBA for AND it could play the DS Pokemon games. And also Scribblenauts. Such a stupidly fantastic game.

Man, Scribblenauts! What a game. I still have it. I'm getting an SP soon because I want to play the original Link's Awakening, along with a bunch of others (incl. Pokemon, of course). The SP can play anything in the Game Boy family so I think it will be a good purchase.

Usually, as long as there's something on the system that I'll enjoy, I don't mind buying it.

There are also people, like in my case, that are interested in multiple games but are waiting for a specific game/franchise before they actually buy the console.

I was waiting for Gen VIII before I would buy a Switch, but right now I'm not interested in SWSH and if my mind doesn't change then I might not buy a Switch this year either. :unsure: This can translate to a loss of sales for Nintendo since people aren't buying the console and Pokemon is a system seller. Well, I'm sure the games and the console sales will do just fine. I'm just bringing in an example.

Even if SwSh were some BW2 tier masterpiece (they aren't), I think I still would've waited until the much-needed Switch Mini (aka handheld-only Switch) released, before buying SwSh.
Because buying the regular Switch doesn't make sense for someone like me who is only going to use the console in handheld mode anyway... I don't want to pay for a home console when I just want to enjoy my classic handheld Pokémon experience.

Last edited:
It might also save you the joystick issues @Meta Boss. If I've got one complaint it's the drifting, which seems to be a hardware issue

Anyway, a new Pokémon game will definitely be a system seller, and it wouldn't surprise me if they announced the Mini/handheld before its release

I too also have the joystick drift issue. But there is no guarantee that a Switch Mini would fix that (in fact it would be even worse, because at least with the de-attachable Joy-Cons you only have to replace those and not the entire console). I just want Nintendo to released fixed Joy-Cons (I play almost exclusively in handheld mode), but I digress.

And I feel like if the Switch Mini was going to be a thing they would have already announced it.

I too also have the joystick drift issue. But there is no guarantee that a Switch Mini would fix that (in fact it would be even worse, because at least with the de-attachable Joy-Cons you only have to replace those and not the entire console). I just want Nintendo to released fixed Joy-Cons (I play almost exclusively in handheld mode), but I digress.

And I feel like if the Switch Mini was going to be a thing they would have already announced it.
If it's a known issue, they're likely to fix it for a newer console, so I don't think it would be an issue if and when a Switch Mini gets released.

And nah, they don't announce hardware until they're ready to release it. Official statement.

The 3DS was the first Nintendo system I didn't get primarily for Pokemon, but rather Virtue's Last Reward (which I'd consider its best game, but it's never been exclusive to it). Japanese developers are much more open to PC these days, so finding the right incentive to buy a Switch is hard when even used/refurbished systems cost $250+.

Eh, I could see Sinnoh remakes being used to promote a budget Switch. After all, IIRC, ORAS was used to promote the 2DS.
No, those were XY. They continued it with ORAS, and even SM in Japan where the 2DS was released very late.

If it's a known issue, they're likely to fix it for a newer console, so I don't think it would be an issue if and when a Switch Mini gets released.

And nah, they don't announce hardware until they're ready to release it. Official statement.
That does not guarantee that though. The reason why the joystick drift issue is there is because Nintendo cheaped out with the manufacturing of the Switch. Their devices are normally a lot more sturdy and problem-free (though I'll be fair, the original 3DS at launch had issues too). Besides, I'd rather them release a new and improved Joy-Con pair instead of having to buy a brand new console.

But anyway.

No, those were XY. They continued it with ORAS, and even SM in Japan where the 2DS was released very late.

Maybe in America, but here in the UK, XY wasn’t advertised with the 2DS at all - ORAS was.
You could buy a 3DS bundle with XY, but the Pokémon 2DS bundle was ORAS, not XY.
Again...here in the UK, this is - perhaps it was different in America.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom