• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I believe in Game Freak. I believe they will deliver unto us MegaDunsparce. It will be Fairy/Dragon.

Well jumping along the Mega Evolution train, I would envision a Mega Delphox.

With the energy from Mega Evolution, it's developed a whole new type of power, having its Psychic typing morph into Fairy.

Fire/Fairy
Ability: Either Magic Bounce or Filter (It's new powers either repel status moves or weaken enemy attacks)
72 (+10)
114 (+40)
100 (+20)
104 (+30)

(It also now has access to Moonblast as an egg/tutor move).

And yet nothing about Pinsir suggests a Flying type but look what they did with it.

Pinsir is based off a species of stag beetle that have limited flying abilities, so that is where Game Freak got the idea of a type change.

Although you do have a point that move-sets or PokeDex entries could be unrelated to a Mega's type change.

Pinsir can't learn Flying-type attacks through level-up, TM, or breeding. None of its Dex entries mention Pinsir flying.

Yep, even though it's based on a beetle that can fly, I was meaning that Pinsir itself has nothing related to Flying and then its Mega Evolution evolves/unlocks this. Not that I think Rock/Electric is likely to happen at all - as I said earlier, I was looking for ways to make a Mega Gigalith unique and interesting.

With the energy from Mega Evolution, it's developed a whole new type of power, having its Psychic typing morph into Fairy.

Fire/Fairy
Ability: Either Magic Bounce or Filter (It's new powers either repel status moves or weaken enemy attacks)
72 (+10)
114 (+40)
100 (+20)
104 (+30)

Magic Guard would be better imo. Magic Bounce is starting to feel a little bleh on Megas with the two latest ones on top of Absol. Not that it's bad ability, but there's quite a few good abilities that no Mega has. And -ate abilities, Magic Bounce and Tough Claws all have good representation on Megas already. Not sure on the Fire/Fairy typing personally; Fire/Psychic is pretty neat and only shares it with Victini, so not like it's a really common typing.

And yet nothing about Pinsir suggests a Flying type but look what they did with it.

Pinsir is based off a species of stag beetle that have limited flying abilities, so that is where Game Freak got the idea of a type change.

Although you do have a point that move-sets or PokeDex entries could be unrelated to a Mega's type change.

Pinsir can't learn Flying-type attacks through level-up, TM, or breeding. None of its Dex entries mention Pinsir flying.

Yep, even though it's based on a beetle that can fly, I was meaning that Pinsir itself has nothing related to Flying and then its Mega Evolution evolves/unlocks this. Not that I think Rock/Electric is likely to happen at all - as I said earlier, I was looking for ways to make a Mega Gigalith unique and interesting.

Fire/Fairy
72 (+10)
114 (+40)
100 (+20)
104 (+30)

Magic Guard would be better imo. Magic Bounce is starting to feel a little bleh on Megas with the two latest ones on top of Absol. Not that it's bad ability, but there's quite a few good abilities that no Mega has. And -ate abilities, Magic Bounce and Tough Claws all have good representation on Megas already. Not sure on the Fire/Fairy typing personally; Fire/Psychic is pretty neat and only shares it with Victini, so not like it's a really common typing.

Fire/Psychic, while uncommon, isn't as good offensively and defensively as Fire/Fairy. Hence why I chose it, to fit in with the magical theme and also improve the Pokemon.

I actually did think of Magic Guard. While immunity from hazards, weather, and toxic/leech seed is nice, I feel that the other two abilities would make it more appreciated with other players (something poor Delphox as of now severely lacks). Regardless, I wouldn't mind any of these three abilities as they are all good.

Fire/Fairy
72 (+10)
114 (+40)
100 (+20)
104 (+30)

Fire/Psychic, while uncommon, isn't as good offensively and defensively as Fire/Fairy. Hence why I chose it, to fit in with the magical theme and also improve the Pokemon.

I actually did think of Magic Guard. While immunity from hazards, weather, and toxic/leech seed is nice, I feel that the other two abilities would make it more appreciated with other players (something poor Delphox as of now severely lacks). Regardless, I wouldn't mind any of these three abilities as they are all good.

Other players would appreciate Magic Guard way better than Magic Bounce, a Fire type immune to Stealth Rock would be friggin' awesome

I'd rather a Mega Golem become pure Ground-type. As @Zeb; mentioned, it would lose the STAB Earthquake and also because we already have Gigalith as pure Rock-type.

I would love Mega Golem to be pure Ground. When it Mega Evolves, it would lose its Rock exterior. I've been curious for sometime as to what it really looks like underneath.

076.png
ground.gif

Dry Skin
80 HP / 150 Attack (+20) / 150 Defense (+20) / 125 Special Defense (+60) / 45 Speed

Dry Skin I think would be a great ability on Mega Golem because I imagine when it loses its Rock exterior, its skin dries up from the sudden exposure to the sun.

Another Gen 1 'mon that desperately needs a boost is Sandslash. Long neglected because of it's terrible stats, Sandslash could definitely benefit from a boost.

Mega Sandslash.
028.png
ground.gif
poison.gif

Tough Claws/Sand Rush

75 HP / 130 Attack (+30) / 140 Defense (+30) / 45 Special Attack / 105 Special Defense (+40) / 65 Speed

Tough Claws is pretty obvious because of its claws. A new move it would learn is Drill Run. The Poison typing is because I've always felt it should be a Poison type. Another option would be keeping Sand Rush. I feel like there aren't enough Weather Megas around so Sand Rush would also be really good.

Last edited:
I believe in Game Freak. I believe they will deliver unto us MegaDunsparce. It will be Fairy/Dragon.

If anything, it should receive a normal evolution. But if they would give Dunsparce a mega, it should be Normal/Ghost with a new ability unique to it.

I would like to see a Mega Flygon. Attack and Speed would certainly have to increase though I don't know fully by how much. His ability would be one of the sandstorm related ones. I just want to see one of my favorite dragons rival Garchomp like he should be able too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mega Evolution is yet to be properly explained. So pretty much it's a gimmick.
Its not a gimmick, as much as it something being explained as its being expanded. In all honesty, I'd wait till they give a plot reason for it before calling it a gimmick.
Mega Hydreigon Steel/Dragon, its design would be the originally intended design - cyborg dragon with tank aspects. I'm sure one of the reasons they made Dark weak to Fairy was because of Hyreigon, but i don't care. Its ability would not be Levitate though, having only one weakness would make it too strong.
God, steel/dragon would be boring. Sure it would be a game-breaker, but now that Fairy exists, it just sounds like the automatic counter to their threat against dragons.
I would like to see a Mega Flygon. Attack and Speed would certainly have to increase though I don't know fully by how much. His ability would be one of the sandstorm related ones. I just want to see one of my favorite dragons rival Garchomp like he should be able too.
Mega Chomp has sand force, so its not really something I wanna see. Sand Rush, maybe, but how much of a glass cannon can Flygon really be?

You may think I'm stupid, but how about Mega Flygon being Bug/Dragon and having an ability which allows it to get STAB on Ground-type moves, that way it would have 3 STABS.
Its not a gimmick, as much as it something being explained as its being expanded. In all honesty, I'd wait till they give a plot reason for it before calling it a gimmick.

It should have been explained in XY. This way it's: "oh, look at this cool feature called Mega Evolution... how it works and why you ask? We will figure that out in Gen 7 or 8 perhaps"

Mega Hydreigon Steel/Dragon, its design would be the originally intended design - cyborg dragon with tank aspects. I'm sure one of the reasons they made Dark weak to Fairy was because of Hyreigon, but i don't care. Its ability would not be Levitate though, having only one weakness would make it too strong.
God, steel/dragon would be boring. Sure it would be a game-breaker, but now that Fairy exists, it just sounds like the automatic counter to their threat against dragons.
Don't really care about your opinion. this is the Mega Hydreigon i want.

Steel/Dragon Mega Hydreigon is as bad as all the calls we had for Sap Sipper Mega Swampert. I just find it a bad idea that for some reason has massive support behind it because it was originally meant to be a tank. And at the same time it just seems to smack of "but it needs to counter all its weaknesses!" in exactly the same way Sap Sipper Swampert did.

Nothing wrong with Dark/Dragon. Yeah, Fairies are a menace, but 700BST, a massive mixed movepool and good offensive typing in Dark wouldn't even be remotely bad.

And tbh turning into a cyborg dragon just sounds like a surefire way to completely and utterly butcher its design (see: what they did to Mega Heracross).

You may think I'm stupid, but how about Mega Flygon being Bug/Dragon and having an ability which allows it to get STAB on Ground-type moves, that way it would have 3 STABS.

Why would I think you're stupid? That sounds like a cool idea.

@DasManiac; If a Mega Golem loses the rocky exterior, then I can see it receiving a drop to its defence stat and a massive increase to its speed stat, due to the lack of the large, heavy shell. As Alakazam, another Pokémon that received a base stat increased in XY, only received a +90 stat boost when Mega Evolved, I'm assuming that the same would happen with a Mega Golem. So maybe we could see a stat total like:

80/150 (+30)/100 (-30)/65 (+10)/85 (+20)/105 (+60)

I imagine a pure Ground-type Pokémon with that stat total could be pretty terrifying, so I doubt it would receive a ground-breaking ability. For an ability, maybe something like Mold Breaker would be good? Lets it attack those pesky levitating Pokémon (lookin' at you Rotom).

@DasManiac; If a Mega Golem loses the rocky exterior, then I can see it receiving a drop to its defence stat and a massive increase to its speed stat, due to the lack of the large, heavy shell. As Alakazam, another Pokémon that received a base stat increased in XY, only received a +90 stat boost when Mega Evolved, I'm assuming that the same would happen with a Mega Golem. So maybe we could see a stat total like:

I imagine a pure Ground-type Pokémon with that stat total could be pretty terrifying, so I doubt it would receive a ground-breaking ability. For an ability, maybe something like Mold Breaker would be good? Lets it attack those pesky levitating Pokémon (lookin' at you Rotom).

That makes sense. I didn't think of its speed increasing as a result. Mold Breaker would be cool. I'm sure it would get 100 points though as Mega Ampharos did. Ampharos gained 10 points to Defense but still got a 100 point increase when Mega Evolving.

That makes sense. I didn't think of its speed increasing as a result. Mold Breaker would be cool. I'm sure it would get 100 points though as Mega Ampharos did. Ampharos gained 10 points to Defense but still got a 100 point increase when Mega Evolving.
Hmm...so it did. Maybe throw a possible extra 10 into attack then?

I would rather hope for Special Defense. Water, Ice, and Grass are predominately special types so more Special Defense would help it.

I would rather hope for Special Defense. Water, Ice, and Grass are predominately special types so more Special Defense would help it.
I think a vulnerable special defence might be better though, to give it a more visible drawback.

If Game Freak wanted more version exclusive Megas then Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan would be cool. In order to get Hitmontop though, you have to have both in your party.

Mega Hitmonlee

106.png
fighting.gif]

Defiant

50 / 140 (+20) / 103 (+50) / 35 / 120 (+10) / 107 (+20)

Mega Hitmonchan

107.png
fighting.gif]

Protean

50 / 145 (+40) / 109 (+30) / 35 / 140 (+30)

^^ I had a dream the other night that Mega Hitmonchan was Fighting/Fairy. Looked exactly the same except a couple inches shorter and his outfit was pink instead of purple.

Make it happen GF.

Back
Top Bottom