• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
related

ff1_zps06b8665b.jpg~original

Agreed....

Am i the only one who thinks/noticed that mega salamence looks like the islamic crescent on the flag of turkey
320px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png

Or as my friend thinks/noticed like the rebel alliance's symbol from star wars http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2a/Rebel_Alliance_logo.svg/200px-Rebel_Alliance_logo.svg.png

But that being said out of all the megas i have seen this far salamence, venusaur and scizor are my favs but IMO mega slobro is exactly what i pictured one to be

Last edited:
I'd personally like to see Mega Delphox keep Fire/Psychic. But I hope that our other fire fox also gets a Psychic or Ghost subtype upon Megavolution. (Anyone else here for a spectral Mega Ninetails?)

You may think I'm stupid, but how about Mega Flygon being Bug/Dragon and having an ability which allows it to get STAB on Ground-type moves, that way it would have 3 STABS.
Its not a gimmick, as much as it something being explained as its being expanded. In all honesty, I'd wait till they give a plot reason for it before calling it a gimmick.

It should have been explained in XY. This way it's: "oh, look at this cool feature called Mega Evolution... how it works and why you ask? We will figure that out in Gen 7 or 8 perhaps"
Is there a stab ground ability? I doubt they would introduce a new one mid gen, but I guess the same applies to megas I guesa. Otherwise 3 type stab is a great idea, but I'd keep the typing. Thinking it over bug/dragon really is weird. So yeah ground/dragon but with bug stab could work.

Last edited:
But I hope that our other fire fox also gets a Psychic or Ghost subtype upon Megavolution. (Anyone else here for a spectral Mega Ninetails?)

Yes! I'm all for Fire/Ghost Mega Ninetales.

But I hope that our other fire fox also gets a Psychic or Ghost subtype upon Megavolution. (Anyone else here for a spectral Mega Ninetails?)

Yes! I'm all for Fire/Ghost Mega Ninetales.

I have no idea what it could look like, but I definitely want all nine tails to merge into a massive one with a flame-colored pattern instead of flame tips. I also want it flame-shaped. The main body could go from cream-ish to a Gengar-ish purple. But that color scheme (purple, red, orange and yellow) seems similar to Delphox's Shiny and Regular colorings and we should distinguish them from each other.

A dragon/bug Mega Flygon would be interesting

as much as i would love that, i'd feel that dragon bug should go to yanmega first, and mega flygon can stay ground/dragon but get a much better ability and better stat distribution.

or they both can be bug dragon and i can die of happiness ^_^;

I agree with this.

And still waiting on my Bug/Fairy Mega Butterfree with the brand-new ability Insectilate.

I really hope it isn't called insectilate. Infestate, pestilate and entomate (from Greek entomos) all sound like or are based on actual words... Seriously, what does it even mean to 'insectilate' something?

Regarding comments about mega-Flygon, I support triple stab, but it should probably stay ground type. It's very much the running theme of its evolutionary line and I kind of think the ground theme is a bit stronger than the bug theme (yes, even though it's a bug). As someone above mentioned, bug/dragon would be perfect for Mega Yanmega, a mega I am fully in favour of, not least because of its name. :p

I think psychic would be much more appropriate for Mega Ninetales (the single biggest spelling trap in Pokemon). Reading over its dex entries, there's nothing about it being a ghost aside from the whole curse aspect, something the ghost type hardly has a monopoly on. However, every other entry talks about mystic or supernatural power (psychic), nine saints/wizards (magic is psychic in Pokemon), intelligence (psychic Pokemon often have high IQ) and Ruby talks about mind control.

Fire/Ghost mega ninetales is the best option, both for the typing, and its conceptual basis. I mean come on, Will O Wisp was like its signature for generations, why would it be psychic?

Fire/Ghost mega ninetales is the best option, both for the typing, and its conceptual basis. I mean come on, Will O Wisp was like its signature for generations, why would it be psychic?

Will o wisp is fire, not ghost, type and it was never signature.

Ninetales isn't a ghost or spirit unlike every ghost type pokemon so far and learns mostly physic rather than ghost type moves. All its dex entries have to do with magic, telepathy and intelligence, all psychic type traits. The only way I can see Ninetales having a part ghost type Mega is if it dies during the mega evolution process.

Will o wisp is fire, not ghost, type and it was never signature.

It's a move that's associated with ghosts and spirits.

Ninetales isn't a ghost or spirit unlike every ghost type pokemon so far and learns mostly physic rather than ghost type moves.

And Pinsir learns more Fighting moves than Flying. Gyarados learns pretty much no Dark moves barring Bite.

All its dex entries have to do with magic, telepathy and intelligence, all psychic type traits.

All? No, just as many dex entries are about its ability to lay curses on people which isn't a Psychic trait.

The only way I can see Ninetales having a part ghost type Mega is if it dies during the mega evolution process.

Doesn't mean it can't unlock this power. Ninetales very clearly has some sort of link to the supernatural, it could become ethereal which doesn't mean it has to have died. There's more to ghosts and spirits than being dead and lots of Pokemon that are Ghost-type aren't dead.

We already have a Fire/Psychic fox, why would anyone want another one when we could get something unique.

Quote heap!

It's a move that's associated with ghosts and spirits.
I was merely correcting the inaccuracy. It knows a move that is associated with ghosts, but it was never signature. I'll also observe Delphox can learn it, amongst other psychics.

And Pinsir learns more Fighting moves than Flying. Gyarados learns pretty much no Dark moves barring Bite.
Fair point. I don't think Ampharos knows many dragon moves either.

All? No, just as many dex entries are about its ability to lay curses on people which isn't a Psychic trait.
I had a look at the dex entries. There are two different entries that reference a curse or vengeance (R/B/LG/Y, Stad). There are ten different entries that reference wizards, magic, supernatural, mystical power, intelligence or mind control. Sapphire has about four of them, thanks to the wonderfully detailed RSE entries. The magical and mystical aspect is played up a lot more than the curse aspect is what I'm saying. I think people tend to remember the latter because it was in the original dex entries.

Doesn't mean it can't unlock this power. Ninetales very clearly has some sort of link to the supernatural, it could become ethereal which doesn't mean it has to have died. There's more to ghosts and spirits than being dead and lots of Pokemon that are Ghost-type aren't dead.
Yeah, I just realised that Frillish and Jellicent are neither ghosts nor spirits. Can't believe I forgot that when Jellicent was the cornerstone of my White team. It's very possible for a fire/ghost Mega Ninetales to be a thing and certainly Pinsir had a much more significant design change.

We already have a Fire/Psychic fox, why would anyone want another one when we could get something unique.
Yeah, I agree on that. In terms of Ninetales' current design though, I think there's a much stronger connection to psychic themes than to ghost themes. If they want to continue along those lines, it should really be psychic to do justice to the concept. If GF play up the curse aspect or introduce some link to the spirit world, then a part Ghost Ninetales would make sense.

I was merely correcting the inaccuracy. It knows a move that is associated with ghosts, but it was never signature. I'll also observe Delphox can learn it, amongst other psychics.

Delphox learns it because it's a Fire-type, same as Ninetales tbh.

I had a look at the dex entries. There are two different entries that reference a curse or vengeance (R/B/LG/Y, Stad). There are ten different entries that reference wizards, magic, supernatural, mystical power, intelligence or mind control. Sapphire has about four of them, thanks to the wonderfully detailed RSE entries. The magical and mystical aspect is played up a lot more than the curse aspect is what I'm saying. I think people tend to remember the latter because it was in the original dex entries.

Well they aren't only indicative of Psychics. "Supernatural" isn't solely Psychic and could fit many types like Ghost, Dark, Dragon, Fairy depending on their origins (Zoroark for example). Neither is a "mystical power" because Fairies, Ghosts and other beings can all have mystical powers. And mind control can very easily be linked to possession which spirits and ghosts are often depicted as doing. Magic/magical can very easily fit Ghosts too, see: Mismagius.

I mean I can definitely see the Psychic links, I'm not denying them, but after we have Delphox they should make a Mega Ninetales something other than Fire/Psychic. Which given its themes, really only leave Fire/Ghost imo.

Yeah, I just realised that Frillish and Jellicent are neither ghosts nor spirits.

I think anything that fits their interpretation/definition of "spooky" can probably be a Ghost-type. Which is why we have jellyfish, reanimated golems, shadows, banshees/witches, possessed items (swords, dolls), a gremlin/goblin, a husk, yokai, etc.

Oh and we also need more Ghost Megas. Currently we only have three iirc (Gengar, Banette and Sableye). Whereas I think Psychic has the most Megas at like nine I think?

Last edited:
I for one believe that Vulpix and Ninetales shouldn't be Fire-types, at all. Having a flame inside their body isn't enough of a reason for them to be Fire-types, because it's an internal flame, externally they aren't fireish at all. And Ninetales were shown swimming in the anime.
They scream Fairy/Ghost to me... reasoning:

* They are based on mythical Kitsune, thus Fairy and also the magic theme of "merged wizards"
* Ghost because Ninetales's name and move "grudge" (which is ghost-type) and it can lay curses, reincarnation theme

Or perhaps Vulpix and Ninetales should be Fire/Fairy while Mega Ninetales being Fairy/Ghost.
But yeah, there are much stronger themes of Fairy and Ghost than Fire, so a pure Fire-type never made sense to me.

Edit:

For Trapinch, Vibrava and Flygon...

* I don't understand why neither of the 3 is part Bug-type
* I've always found the "reasoning" (if you can call it that) behind Vibrava and Flygon's part Dragon typing to be really stupid. "People confuse adult Antlions with Dragonflies, because they resemble each other and also Dragonflies are called "sand dragons" thus lets make them part Dragon... you get the joke, right?" Well, I don't Game Freak... resemblance of Antlions to Dragonflies (ugh) and a Dragonfly's nickname of "sand dragon" aren't good reasons at all. I can somehow swallow Kingdra, but not this

This is how I would correct it:
* Make Trapinch and Vibrava Bug/Ground types (keeping Vibrava's Levitate)
* Make Flygon Bug/Dragon and give it an ability which would allow it to have Ground-type STAB. I don't think Flygon needs Levitate anymore, since its wings have developed fully to fly
* Mega Flygon would be a pure Dragon-type, having fully transcended into a Dragon and lost its "bugness" (it would still keep its Ground STAB ability) ... why pure Dragon you might ask? Well, because a double weakness to Ice is not nice :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree with this.

And still waiting on my Bug/Fairy Mega Butterfree with the brand-new ability Insectilate.

I really hope it isn't called insectilate. Infestate, pestilate and entomate (from Greek entomos) all sound like or are based on actual words... Seriously, what does it even mean to 'insectilate' something?

Regarding comments about mega-Flygon, I support triple stab, but it should probably stay ground type. It's very much the running theme of its evolutionary line and I kind of think the ground theme is a bit stronger than the bug theme (yes, even though it's a bug). As someone above mentioned, bug/dragon would be perfect for Mega Yanmega, a mega I am fully in favour of, not least because of its name. :p

I think psychic would be much more appropriate for Mega Ninetales (the single biggest spelling trap in Pokemon). Reading over its dex entries, there's nothing about it being a ghost aside from the whole curse aspect, something the ghost type hardly has a monopoly on. However, every other entry talks about mystic or supernatural power (psychic), nine saints/wizards (magic is psychic in Pokemon), intelligence (psychic Pokemon often have high IQ) and Ruby talks about mind control.

I just randomly came up with a bug word. Not a big deal.

And while Flygon is an Antlion, it looks more like a Dragonfly, which its name even alludes to. Bug/Dragon would be fine.

And considering we already have a Fire/Psychic Fox in play who will most likely get its own Mega at some point, do we really need another?

I'm in full support of a Fire/Ghost Mega Ninetales. It only seems to make the most sense with all of its connections to curses and grudges and it's notably long lifespan. I get that it also has Psychic-like traits, but Ghost seems much more fitting for it.

As for Flygon being somehow part Bug or Bug/Dragon, I don't agree, personally. Ground is its main typing and the element Flygon is most associated with being known as "The Desert Spirit" and known for creating Sandstorms. If they really were going to make it Bug, Ground/Bug makes the most sense, but I'd prefer if it remained Ground/Dragon.

As for Flygon being somehow part Bug or Bug/Dragon, I don't agree, personally. Ground is its main typing and the element Flygon is most associated with being known as "The Desert Spirit" and known for creating Sandstorms. If they really were going to make it Bug, Ground/Bug makes the most sense, but I'd prefer if it remained Ground/Dragon.

Flygon's name could be derived as either "fly" and "dragon" (with it having Levitate as its ability and can learn Fly through TM), or "dragonfly" (its insect-like appearance).

Flygon could be any of those types, but Ground/Dragon seems to be the most likely since it already works.

I'm all on board for a Fire/Ghost Mega Ninetales. It's based on a kitsune, so it'd make sense for it to become ghost type. A kitsune is heavily linked to spirits, and there's no better type fitting that than Ghost. Fire/Psychic would be a good typing too, but that kind-of rains of Delphox's parade. Plus we only have two ghost mega evolutions so far, it'd be nice to see more.

Back
Top Bottom