• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
^ It's already been confirmed via Serebii that Mega Rayquaza, Primal Kyogre & Primal Groudon are all featuring somehow in the upcoming special.

I think with Beedrill & Pidgeot that makes, what...18 OR/AS mega evolutions now? There were 28 in X/Y. If they're repeating the amount, then we have 10 left.

IIRC they revealed 13 out of 28 XY Mega's pre-release. 13 divided by 28 equals 46.42%, or less than half of the created Mega's at that time. With ORAS having revealed 18 so far... This seems to imply that ORAS might have around 40 if they follow the exact same pattern from XY, which I highly doubt. Either way, there's still many Mega's unrevealed.

omgggg might mega beedrill also mean mega butterfree?!?
*panting*

RIGHT?

*hyperventilates and collapses*

Gurl, I am feeling the same type of way. I'm dying for Megafree to be revealed! :D :D :D

Definitely feel the mega fatigue. My list would be pretty much identical to yours. That mega scoop felt like a very empty issue in retrospect--just filler since they don't have much new material.

They don't really need much new material. Even if ORAS didn't have any new Megas they'd still have twice as much shit as XY.

Yeah I know, I don't have a problem with the lack of new material, although a post-game area like in Sinnoh or Unova would have been nice. The perfect game for me would have been Emerald with XY's extra gameplay. That's not new content though, so they are overrelying on megas and repainting old content for the magazines.

Keep in mind that XY debuted new Pokemon on top of the Mega Evolutions, and ORAS actually debuted Megas for nearly every CoroCoro issue since they were announced (as opposed to XY, when they were revealed for just 3 CoroCoro issues before release).

Of course there would be more pre-release Megas this time.

The Mega Lati twins notwithstanding, we should have around 35-40 Megas this time around.

IIRC they revealed 13 out of 28 XY Mega's pre-release. 13 divided by 28 equals 46.42%, or less than half of the created Mega's at that time. With ORAS having revealed 18 so far... This seems to imply that ORAS might have around 40 if they follow the exact same pattern from XY, which I highly doubt. Either way, there's still many Mega's unrevealed.

Gurl, I am feeling the same type of way. I'm dying for Megafree to be revealed! :D :D :D

i really hope there are twice as many megas as revealed for ORAS. and im sure everyone has a couple on their wish list but flygon, milotic, and butterfree are the three i pray get megas this go around because of reasons.

and yanmega. :p

note to black butterfree: you called me gurl. gurl you and i are probably like the same person.

i really hope there are twice as many megas as revealed for ORAS. and im sure everyone has a couple on their wish list but flygon, milotic, and butterfree are the three i pray get megas this go around because of reasons.

and yanmega. :p

note to black butterfree: you called me gurl. gurl you and i are probably like the same person.

LOL Probably! I am ready for that Bug/Psychic Butterfree, Water/Fairy Milotic and that Dragon/Bug Flygon! Can you Dragonfly? :D

If Mega Flygon does happen, it should remain Ground/Dragon imo. It's based off a bug, sure, but every one of its Pokedex entries mentions sand(storms) and/or its title "the Desert Spirit." Plus, Ground is its primary type. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure how I feel about Mega Pidgeot. Mega Beedrill is cool, and I'm glad that Mega Lati@s are, in fact, appearing in ORAS.
The shape of the eyes look a lot like the eyes on Bumblebee's new battle mask in Age of Extinction. I do not kid; his new mask is more insect-like and intimidating, much like Mega Beedrill's face. So it looks like I'm back to naming my Beedrill Bumblebee. Not that I'm complaining about that, mind you.

The Shiny had better be red with green eyes. XD
I approve of that. Heartily. Make it happen, GF! :) (But then I'll have to name the shiny Sting...)

And I would love to see a Mega Flygon. I've loved the design and would love to see it get upgraded, as it's one of the few Dragons I actually like.

Ground/Dragon > Ground/Bug >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bug/Dragon.

I really hope they don't make Flygon Bug/Dragon.

I personally love Mega Beedrill and Mega Pidgeot. I really can't wait to see Mega Butterfree.

I really hope Flygon and Swellow gets a Mega Evolution. If Pidgeot can get one, there's no reason why Swellow can't.

Dragon/Bug would certainly be a refreshing type combination and take Flygon out of Garchomp's shadow.

Bug/Psychic for Mega Butterfree would be cool, and finally let it get STAB the Psychic attacks it can learn.

I don't think Butterfree has enough "psychic" theme going for it to get that typing.

Dragon/Bug would certainly be a refreshing type combination and take Flygon out of Garchomp's shadow.

I wish people would stop hyping Bug/Dragon, the typing does absolutely nothing for Flygon but make it worse. Where Megas are concerned, they should really focus on making the Pokemon better in battle as Mega's entire concept and use is for battling, not making it "special and wow unique type combo" at the cost of usuability.

Leave Bug/Dragon for a new line in a new generation.

I refuse to believe Mega Audino is the only Gen V Pokémon getting a Mega so far.

Same. I'm fairly certain there will be more in ORAS, it's just odd we've had two months since Mega Audino and we haven't seen another. I wouldn't mind Druddigon, but another Dragon Mega at this point sounds boring. Fire/Steel Mega Heatmor is one I'm dying to happen (potentially with Bulletproof or Sheer Force). Galvantula, Whimsicott and Cinccino are a few others I'd like to see too, not entirely sure where I'd like to see them go though. Also Liepard, since early-game mons now seem to be fair-game thanks to Pidgeot and Beedrill.

I wish people would stop hyping Bug/Dragon, the typing does absolutely nothing for Flygon but make it worse. Where Megas are concerned, they should really focus on making the Pokemon better in battle as Mega's entire concept and use is for battling, not making it "special and wow unique type combo" at the cost of usuability.

Leave Bug/Dragon for a new line in a new generation.

I refuse to believe Mega Audino is the only Gen V Pokémon getting a Mega so far.

Same. I'm fairly certain there will be more in ORAS, it's just odd we've had two months since Mega Audino and we haven't seen another. I wouldn't mind Druddigon, but another Dragon Mega at this point sounds boring. Fire/Steel Mega Heatmor is one I'm dying to happen (potentially with Bulletproof or Sheer Force). Galvantula, Whimsicott and Cinccino are a few others I'd like to see too, not entirely sure where I'd like to see them go though. Also Liepard, since early-game mons now seem to be fair-game thanks to Pidgeot and Beedrill.

This so much. Both parts.

Bug/Dragon would suck. Turning a SR resist into a weakness, gaining a weakness to Flying when MPinsir, Talonflame, and soon MSalamence are on the loose, and losing the Dragon/Ground STAB combo would be horrendous.

Galvantula is one I want to see also, as if it were good enough Sticky Web teams could finally be OU viable (see RU where Kricketune Web teams are ridiculously good). I also personally want to see Bisharp, as she's my signature Pokémon and one of my favorites.

I really can't wait to see Mega Butterfree.

You and me both, dear. You and me both.

Bug/Psychic for Mega Butterfree would be cool, and finally let it get STAB the Psychic attacks it can learn.

YES! :D This so much!

I don't think Butterfree has enough "psychic" theme going for it to get that typing.

Butterfree is a butterfly. The ancient Greek word for butterfly is "psyche", which also happens to be ancient Greek for soul and the root of both psychology and psychic. Throughout all six generations, it learns the following Psychic-type moves:

Confusion, Psybeam, Psychic, Rest, Dream Eater (Currently)

Teleport, Psywave (Gen. 1)

Skill Swap (Gen. 3)

And these tend to be its strongest attacks, tied with Bug type moves. Psychic is the most probable second typing.

...I'm not really 'hyping' it as such, just stating that would be different for it. Flygon's one of my favourites from Gen III, and it saddens me that Garchomp is always favoured over it. A new typing/ability would help distance Flygon from Garchomp and give it its own niche. I'm just hoping that Mega Flygon can do this, new typing or not.

Though coming from a design point of view, I agree with what Charles Dunois said. Flygon has some bug traits, but it's really focused on sandstorms and being noted as a desert spirit - Ground is a far more fitting typing.

Anyway...as for Gen V Megas, Lilligant & Bisharp would be nice. Obviously I (really) want Gen V starters, but chances are they're not going to be happening here.

Last edited:
Flygon isn't even that bad. Immunity to ground hazards, and resistance to rocks makes it a great defogger. Base 100 speed and U-Turn makes it a viable scout. I'd really like him to get a mega, because even just a little boost to speed and attack would make it so much better. He also has a much cooler design then Garchomp imo.

...I'm not really 'hyping' it as such, just stating that would be different for it. Flygon's one of my favourites from Gen III, and it saddens me that Garchomp is always favoured over it. A new typing/ability would help distance Flygon from Garchomp and give it its own niche. I'm just hoping that Mega Flygon can do this, new typing or not.

Ground/Dragon with boosts to Atk, Sp.Atk and Speed would be enough to make Mega Flygon usable over Garchomp. Flygon has a pretty fantastic movepool. Just listing some of the most notable moves it gets over Garchomp: Roost, U-turn, Defog, Superpower, Tailwind. Which are all pretty big moves.

It could play like a Ground/Dragon Crobat/Noivern, or even Mega Manectric-esque with the potential to be either physical or special. This is without even touching on its ability, which they could keep as Levitate, however they could give it something like Arena Trap as a callback to Trapinch, others like Sand Rush, Tinted Lens etc could even happen. There's lots of things that could make Flygon stand out -- just giving it +30 Speed and some decent boosts to Atk and Sp.Atk would be enough to make it very different. Garchomp is decently fast, but to be really fast it needs a Choice Scarf, which then requires locking into one move every time you come in.

Just to lay it out:

Ground/Dragon
Arena Trap / Levitate / whatever else
80 HP / 130 Atk (+30) / 80 Def / 120 Sp.Atk (+40) / 80 Sp.Def / 130 Speed (+30)
Movepool: Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Outrage, Earth Power, Dragon Tail, Stone Edge, U-turn, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Roost, Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Rock Slide, Superpower, Crunch, Giga Drain, Heat Wave, Iron Tail, Dragon Pulse, Tailwind.

Obviously some of those are more niche (or work better in doubles) but there's certainly enough there with those stats + moves + potential ability to differentiate it from Garchomp.

I mean, look at Talonflame + Moltres + Ho-oh + Charizard? All different. Same as Rotom-Wash and Lanturn. Scizor + Escavalier + Durant + Forretress + Genesect. Again, combinations of stats, abilities and movepool all make them really different. It would be no different here.

Honestly Bug/Dragon would be bad.

Back
Top Bottom