• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Right to Bear Arms

Do you agree with people being allowed the Right to Bear Arms?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which addresses my later point on gun laws. A criminal is just as likely to break into a home and steal a gun as they are to break into a gun store and steal those. This will include guns sold/rented for game hunting. If the guns are illegal, the criminals are simply going to get them elsewhere. Gun laws only affect law-abiding citizens.

Gun laws only affect law-abiding citizens.

That is not entirely true. A more strict law that affect purchasing guns will cut down crime rates. Sometimes, law-abiding people become criminals by say, shooting someone in a rage, a thing they can't if guns are prohibited/strictly controlled.

Well, I read the post, but my argument still stands. But can you deny that some criminals actually buy their guns legally, before they commit the crime? Gun-related crime is destined to happen more often if more people have access to guns, criminals or not.

And to answer your statement in the post above, where? Black markets? The government should try more to crack down on these trades. Banning/strictly controlling (I certainly hope for a ban soon) guns will almost surely reduce gun-related crimes. Many school-shootings happen because of easy access to guns, and thus a ban could prevent some of these tragedies.

Which addresses my later point on gun laws. A criminal is just as likely to break into a home and steal a gun as they are to break into a gun store and steal those. This will include guns sold/rented for game hunting. If the guns are illegal, the criminals are simply going to get them elsewhere. Gun laws only affect law-abiding citizens.

Don't see how that addresses your point about the laws... We've done a good job limiting people's access in the past, so who's to say that wouldn't change? And, of course criminals would still be able to get them. Nothing stops them NOW from getting high-end explosives. Should we make THOSE legal so I can put up a mine field in my yard?

I ask you then, to run the numbers and look at the percentages.

Why not just throw us the numbers and say "aha, I'm right"? Source, of course.

And what use does a normal person have in buying a AK-47 (though it's not fully automatic, and not in every state)? Why would any sane person buy an assault weapon? For fun? There's absolutely no need to sell these weapons.

Find me the numbers then. But I've heard that USA does have the most guns per people.

But a criminal breaking into a house and stealing a gun might not be anywhere near or know of any gun stores, so if everyone was aloowed guns, criminals would have more poopurtinities to find one somewhere even if there is no gun store anywhere nearby.

And if guns were made illegal, it would be harder to find a gun, even if they can find guns other ways, there would be less oppourtinities to get one right? If people are allowed guns in their house, at least the criminals would have ideas on where the guns might be, but having guns not allowed in houses and making them illegal, would the criminal know where to obtain a gun half the time? A lot less so. Not every criminal who wants a gun is going to have a supplier on speed dial or know of a gun shipment or similar ya know.

I don't really have anything to prove. I've been in situations where if I didn't have a gun, I'd have been screwed. Each of these situations involved self defense and defense of property. That's why I'm asking you to run the statistics, because personal experience has taught me that I'm safer if I can defend myself.

I don't really have anything to prove. I've been in situations where if I didn't have a gun, I'd have been screwed. Each of these situations involved self defense and defense of property. That's why I'm asking you to run the statistics, because personal experience has taught me that I'm safer if I can defend myself.

I agree with this. Although I've never been in a situation where I've needed a gun, I feel much safer knowing that we have a pistol in my father's nightstand drawer and another in the basement and that I know how to use them.

if I could have it my way every gun would be gone and we'd revert back to the age of swords and stuff :smokin:
but no I think we should be able to have weapons, as long as you're responsible with them, first offense with a weapon should mean instant removal of all your weapons and right to own them.
but either way people who are allowed to have guns, and are licensed to carry them, still can't
the police will get you on "instigating a panic" ;D

if I could have it my way every gun would be gone and we'd revert back to the age of swords and stuff :smokin:
but no I think we should be able to have weapons, as long as you're responsible with them, first offense with a weapon should mean instant removal of all your weapons and right to own them.
but either way people who are allowed to have guns, and are licensed to carry them, still can't
the police will get you on "instigating a panic" ;D

unless you have a lisence to carry a concealed weapon... which is a pain in the ass to get I believe.

Guns?No.Guns in defence?Well I think if people try to take the life of another human being,and lose their life in process,then it is kinda their fault,for if they had done nothing at all,they would still have their life.I can not realy blame people who would take the life of a human being when that human had chosen to take the the path where they would kill for profit or fun.

Political power grows from the barrel of a gun. And it would seem to some that personal safety does too. I can't seem to think of many people that actually needs guns to get out of dangerous situations. And I don't have any numbers, so I can't run any statistics but if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that more guns = more gun-related violence, and USA have a lot of gun related crimes (or so it would seem, according to your own words, where you have to defend yourself with a gun multiple times). You can run the numbers then, or are you afraid of how they'll turn out. Have you ever used the gun too? In that case, have you ever considered the consequences?

My final argument is the most obvious. Guns kill and hurt people. The idea that every man have the right to a gun, is insane. There's no need, that's why we have police. And is there no other way you can defend yourself without a gun? And defending your property with a gun, what's more important, a mans life or his property?

Sonic Speed said:
I agree with this. Although I've never been in a situation where I've needed a gun, I feel much safer knowing that we have a pistol in my father's nightstand drawer and another in the basement and that I know how to use them.

Actually, it would just frighten me to know that there were two guns in my house.

Actually, it would just frighten me to know that there were two guns in my house.

I guess it would depend on your family situation etc. Our guns are locked, and there's no small children to mess with them (I'm 18 almost 19, and I'm the youngest in our family). Plus, both me and my older sister (as well as my mom) are well versed in gun safety.

It would be horrible to have a gun in my house.But since i am in the UK I can't.My question to myself is:if I lived in the US,Would I have a gun?I still can't decide.
EDIT:I think maybe i would have a powerful trank dart gun

I guess it would depend on your family situation etc. Our guns are locked, and there's no small children to mess with them (I'm 18 almost 19, and I'm the youngest in our family). Plus, both me and my older sister (as well as my mom) are well versed in gun safety.

Well, age does play a part yes. I'm seventeen, and I know what I'm not supposed to do with a gun. But I still would have scared me.

But then again, I live in a country with not exactly a sky-high crime-rate, and in one of the "sleepiest" towns too. Our town is only known for being one of the towns with most drug-addicts and small fires. And dealers walking around down-town with dogs at 2 AM. Usually a lot of quarrel in the weekends (my dad's a doctor, so he sees a lot of those at Mondays), and thankfully I can't remember the last time someone was shot here.

And what use does a normal person have in buying a AK-47 (though it's not fully automatic, and not in every state)? Why would any sane person buy an assault weapon? For fun? There's absolutely no need to sell these weapons.
the short answer is that yes, assault weapons are very fun to shoot. particularly the AK-47. the other well known assault rifle, the M16, is also available to civilians, but it too is not automatic. however, it is very popular for target/sport shooters (reliable, extremely accurate, lightweight). more-so than the AK because that thing is pretty inaccurate compared to the M16.

theres also the classic M1 Garand which is extremely valuable and popular with collectors.

unless you have a lisence to carry a concealed weapon... which is a pain in the ass to get I believe.
depending on the state, its not too hard. if you have your life in order, you can get one in only a couple days.

My final argument is the most obvious. Guns kill and hurt people. The idea that every man have the right to a gun, is insane. There's no need, that's why we have police. And is there no other way you can defend yourself without a gun? And defending your property with a gun, what's more important, a mans life or his property?

I'll explain the situation that I've been in. I live on the fringe of the town, in an area with a lot of livestock. I myself kept a horse and a goat as pets. Back in February, a pack of stray dogs came through and started killing livestock and pets. Animal Control gave us permission to shoot these dogs should they threaten our property. They came in the middle of the night and killed our goat. They were shot, killed, and taken care of. These dogs pack together every spring, and present a danger to livestock owners out here.

In addition, coyotes wander in the wilderness nearby. Coyotes are usually cowardly animals, but they have been known to drag off small animals (Like goats or sheep) if the rabbits aren't heavy.

Without a gun, two things might happen. You might frighten off the wild animal only to have it return later, or you lose a limb, even if you're using a BB gun or airsoft gun. I'd much rather take care of the problem more permanently, without running the risk of getting mauled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom