• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Rocket trio's lack of screentime in Sun & Moon is honestly kind of appalling

I am also hating this drought and I really feel this a very bad move by the writers. We're still at an early point of SM so instead of trying to grab people are they trying to get people away from this series? I can only speak for myself, obviously, but I can honestly say that I haven't seen any of the episodes that have been airing because if TR are absent I don't really have a reason to watch them. This is just me, but I suppose there are other people that do the same?

I have to ask, how if the Meowth Balloon thing going in Japan? Because normally when Team Rocket are absent from the anime, they try to make up for it in other ways (such as them narrating the next episode preview everytime they miss an episode and appear in the following one; and that Radio Show during Unova). Is that balloon thing making Japanese people less Rocket thirsty?

In a (kind of) unrelated note, this week's Dragon Ball Super episode helped me with this Team Rocket drought. The episode was written by our Tomioka and it had a parody/homage to those Magical Girls animes, and while there were actually zero references to Team Rocket, their transformation had some similarities to the Team Rocket's motto (and there was also a line very similar to our "Ai to shinjitu no aku o tsuranuku! "), and the humour around it was very similar to what we have with Team Rocket (it was interrupted, everyone complains about how everything means something and needs to be done, and as they were interrupted they had to do start everything again from the beginning, with complaints by some characters). Please watch it and tell me if I am the only one getting some TR vibes from this, even if not intentional.

I'm way behind on SM episodes and TR's absence is the biggest reason. They're easily the most appealing part of the show for me.

I get TR vibes from that clip too.

To be fair, ratings rarely makes sense. The League episodes gets ratings similar or even lower than filler episodes.

I've never paid much attention to ratings. Do they ever correlate with particular types of episodes?

Maybe Trio's not appearing as often due to the larger cast? When there were 3\4 main characters + them the writers could include them easier than now? For me I usually don't mind not seeing the Rockets in plot-driven or gym battle episodes, but most fillers not including them are usually heck tedious.

Idk, on the first 15 epis. most of the new characters weren't as charismatic as Rocket-dan. Mamane's nowhere near as fun per instance in my opinion.
Course the writing don't help it either.

From what I've seen, Team Rocket's appearance doesn't have any significant impact in the ratings or overall interest in the series. For example, the higher-ups told Masafumi Mima they would consider using the Roketto-Dan Danka as a permanent ending if that Rocket-focused episode in XY&Z had enough ratings. The episode didn't make it to the top 10 list that evening, unlike most of the other episodes at the time.

I honestly believe there's really, really few people who don't watch if the Rockets aren't in there, even less among their actual target audience in Japan.
Sadly, I'm afraid it's true, there's few people like that, especially in recent years. I felt that in the old days, the fandom was kinda divided into general Pokemon fandom and Team Rocket fandom. I mean, it's not like all TR fans were only interested in TR, but we were this huge subgroup pretty much living our own life.

Btw, as for the baloon event that I went to last week... My friend and I lined up at 5am and we were the first ones but people started coming soon after us, so we were happy we arrived so quickly xD There were all sorts of people, mainly young females though. Not as many teens as I expected, mostly people in their 20-30s. Some families with kids. And even some seniors dressed in Team Rocket T-shirts (that was really cool and unexpected to see)! :D Most people weren't in TR tees though, their attire was Pikachu/Pokemon themed, oh well. Sadly enough, the event got cancelled due to strong winds. We were only allowed to take pictures in the basket on the ground. But guess what. Before we lined up for photos in the basket, Nyasu mascot came out to greet us and hi-five us and I thought we could take photos with it, but then... he walked away back to the tent where the changing room was. And... Pikachu mascot came out. And yes, it posed for pictures with us. I didn't ask for that, but yeah I didn't want to make a fuss :/ Now I wish I did. The organizers also gave us paper Pikachu hats :p

I guess that a TR event for TR members doesn't really mean what I think it should mean. It's still a shameless Pikachu/Satoshi promotion.

It's like they don't respect Team Rocket fans at all sometimes :/ Well, only a few people from the staff actually cares. Definitely not the higher ups though.

Blessings to the Rocket voice actors, Masafumi Mima and whoever still cares <3

I hope Rockets will appear in the anime much more often now after this dry summer.

But guess what. Before we lined up for photos in the basket, Nyasu mascot came out to greet us and hi-five us and I thought we could take photos with it, but then... he walked away back to the tent where the changing room was. And... Pikachu mascot came out. And yes, it posed for pictures with us. I didn't ask for that, but yeah I didn't want to make a fuss :/ Now I wish I did. The organizers also gave us paper Pikachu hats :p

I guess that a TR event for TR members doesn't really mean what I think it should mean. It's still a shameless Pikachu/Satoshi promotion.

It's like they don't respect Team Rocket fans at all sometimes :/ Well, only a few people from the staff actually cares. Definitely not the higher ups though.

Ugh, so typical.

Since the showrunners are acknowledging that characters other than Ash and Pikachu are in fact important can we have more Rocket screentime now?

Is it too early to say that we're getting a decent stretch at the moment? 4 in a row is the longest stretch since Feb...

(I've been fooled into positivity so many times but I just can't help myself!)

Five including SM042!

I feel like their absence over the summer was because Akala Island was treated like a summer arc, which worries me less about the Rocket trio's role in this series and more about how the overall story is going to be structured.

I started late withe the anime this season, but I have no problem with the amount of screentime they get, but Bewear is another story. I hate it, I miss them blasting off.

Fine with me tbh. The less the better. They got stale in DP, changed for the better in BW, then got stale again due to the change back.

Today's shocking controversy (a member of the TRio appears ALONE for the first time in the history of the anime) has gotten me thinking.

On one hand I was feeling cheated that instead of getting my 3 fave characters I got only one, but on reflection the whole scenario is weirdly exhilarating. For starters, I was initially expecting them not to be in this episode at all, so one-man Rocket scene may have meant we got this instead of nothing.

I reckon most of the audience, myself included, have never really thought of Musashi, Kojirou and Nyasu as individual characters because: how often do we get a scene where they don't appear as a unit? I feel like having just one of them appear suddenly opens up this vista of possibilities of what you could do with their characters, particularly Kojirou who has not the privilege of being the "talking Pokemon mascot" or "brash Contest rival" for solo ventures. Like today we saw him just chilling and then handling Satoshi & Kaki on his own, in his own sweet way. It's not much but it does give you a little window into what sort of person he is when he isn't with the two people we always see him interacting with.

Why did they do this? Was it intentional? What does this mean for the future? (Certainly, we can no longer take presence on the cast list as a guarantee for a character to appear in the episode!) I actually wouldn't mind getting to see each of them have bit parts alone in future episodes, where we get to see them interact with other members of the cast.

I'll be honest - first episode I've watched live in MONTHS where Rockets were due to appear and it was extremely painful waiting for my Best Girl to appear only for her... not to.

("I guess they're in the Poke Problem solution!" LOL no :cry: At least they had a really good preview narration...)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom