• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

After playing B&W I decided to play platinum to transfer a Gible. While looking for one I ran in to a shiny blue Gligar, but no, of course not. It was a major discoloration, check them out:
Spr_4p_207_m.png
Platinum, and here is B&W:
Spr_5b_207_m.png

I was so mad!

@Silverwynde - You want OT on it right? Oh, and how do you have any room in your box?

Last edited:
@Silverwynde how many eggs are you at now?

Currently I'm at 2,515. I'm planning on doing a run of 35 tonight. Tomorrow, I'll try and hit anywhere from 15 to 50. It's. Driving. Me. CRAZY! I'm seeing eggs in my sleep! :dizzy:

Thank heavens I really like the little guy. I got so sick of Roselia when I did my hunt on Emerald. But in the end it was worth it.

Im still feeling lucky so I decided Im gonna try getting my shiny Eevee in LeafGreen. I did 115 SRs last night, and I dont want to stop till I get the Eevee. Im really obsessed with shiny Eevee and getting all the Eeveelutions shiny. Im really hoping its nature will be right for a Vaporeon or Jolteon, I dont want a Flareon as I already have Charmeleon for my fire type. At least this hunt will be faster because Eevee is stationary unlike Mesprit.

After playing B&W I decided to play platinum to transfer a Gible. While looking for one I ran in to a shiny blue Gligar, but no, of course not. It was a major discoloration, check them out:
Spr_4p_207_m.png
Spr_5b_207_m.png

I was so mad!

Oh my gosh, I completely agree! EVERY time I see that gligar in platinum, my heart starts up for a moment before I remind myself that they just colored it incorrectly. It's always so disappointing.

Currently I'm at 2,515. I'm planning on doing a run of 35 tonight. Tomorrow, I'll try and hit anywhere from 15 to 50. It's. Driving. Me. CRAZY! I'm seeing eggs in my sleep! :dizzy:

Thank heavens I really like the little guy. I got so sick of Roselia when I did my hunt on Emerald. But in the end it was worth it.

You aren't alone. I'm trying to hatch a shiny Feebas, and I'm about to hit my 3000th egg.

I'm starting to think the Masuda Method is garbage. :banghead:

Three Thousand eggs?! Hope it appears soon for you. :( I've almost hit 1,100 for my hunt, haven't done loads yet but hopefully mine will appear soon.

Three Thousand eggs?! Hope it appears soon for you. :( I've almost hit 1,100 for my hunt, haven't done loads yet but hopefully mine will appear soon.

Yeah, I hope so, too. I just want a shiny Milotic to use in B2/W2. :(

Wow, I can't believe I got frustrated under 150 eggs on the GPX site when I was hunting for a shiny Shinx (which I got yesterday at egg #145! :D). xP

But still, some members there go over a thousand eggs while hunting for a shiny as well, and shinies on this site are not nearly as rare as they are in the games!

Spr_4p_207_m.png
Spr_5b_207_m.png

I was so mad!

@Silverwynde - You want OT on it right? Oh, and how do you have any room in your box?
Man, that would slag me off big time. I might have to get a new DS after that stunt...but not before declaring war on Gligar.

Oh yeah, I want one of my own at level 1 so I can nickname it, train it, spoil it rotten, the works. I also hope to get a good Nature, but if I don't, no big. The little guy will be perfect in Attack anyway. (Papa Golurk is holding a Power Bracer. Mama Ditto has an Everstone.)

Honestly, I have three boxes left. The only thing I can do is shut off the power when I'm done hatching. I don't have to release anything and they get a second chance, if you will. I don't dare take anyone to the judge in Nimbasa, lest I get an "outstanding" one and feel the need to keep it...which I've done. At least four times. And I won't release the others, either. Because that's just mean. (Um, Game Freak? How 'bout releasing a Gen V Pokemon Ranch? I think it'd be a great idea...)

You aren't alone. I'm trying to hatch a shiny Feebas, and I'm about to hit my 3000th egg.

I'm starting to think the Masuda Method is garbage. :banghead:
Either that or it was invented just to give shiny hunters false hope. Though I shouldn't complain too much, as Roselia was around 8 months. >.<

Maybe it's because I'm trying to keep count: some of my previous hunts were over within a few days, sometimes within only a few hours. My Palkia sparkled after 35 resets--what the hey is taking Golett so long?! Of course, when I get the little guy, I'll be over the moon. :clenches fist: It will happen! If not today, then sometime in the future! Must. Not. Give. Up. Hope!

@Silverwynde - I have about 2 left, my dex is about 300ish. I'm planning on catching 'em all so extra space at all is valuble, I only have one box marked breeding (Which is mostly full of my Luxray x Buneary breedings, not to mention starters and my Jolly Haxorus hunt.) I'm thinking of getting the other version, White, just for more boxes, a Zekrom, bordom/nothing else to spend my money on... I can't believe you have 76 Shinies! I don't have one! In fact, I've never seen one and I've been playing since Diamond. Not that long, but pretty long considering every game since and no shiny.

Either that or it was invented just to give shiny hunters false hope. Though I shouldn't complain too much, as Roselia was around 8 months. >.<

Maybe it's because I'm trying to keep count: some of my previous hunts were over within a few days, sometimes within only a few hours. My Palkia sparkled after 35 resets--what the hey is taking Golett so long?! Of course, when I get the little guy, I'll be over the moon. :clenches fist: It will happen! If not today, then sometime in the future! Must. Not. Give. Up. Hope!

The only time I've hatched a shiny was when I was just breeding an extra Petilil. Well, that Petilil, which is now a lv. 100 Lilligant, turned out to be shiny. I've never been so gobsmacked in my entire life.

I wonder if that's the only shiny I'm allowed to hatch. u_u

The only shiny I have ever encountered was a completely random Caterpie that I caught in my Crystal version. I didn't even know what a shiny was at that age, so I used the cloning glitch and evolved the clone into an adorably pink Butterfree. It was years later that I realized what was going on and got to upload the game and gawk and stare. Thing STILL didn't win me that Bug-Catching Contest, which was the whole reason I even caught it!

I tried the Soft Reset method for a shiny Cobalion - more because I wanted a whole shiny Musketeer pack with Virizion's beautiful shiny coat - and stopped to prevent insanity. Granted, I only played at night for around two to three hours, but I did nothing but reset for that darn thing for a month. One. Month. Nothing. I give you all major props for sticking with it, especially with the Masuda Method. I RageQuit so easily with games and am quite surprised that I held out for as long as I did. I'm considering doing a soft reset again for the long haul if B2/W2 provide any good places for it. I hate to not finish things and would love to see a shiny and actually know what it is. God bless all of you who are carrying forward...breeding or reseting or otherwise...into that shiny yonder.

What's the point of a "soft" reset instead of just turning the game off and back on? Does it increase the chances of getting a Shiny or something? Also, I'd never do it, lol. You could reset the game 10,000 times and still never get a Shiny (unless the chances of getting one do increase each time it's done).

It dosent increase the chances. The odds are always the same as a random encounter: 1/8192 each reset. The point is it gives you another chance to encounter it, so therefore gives it that chance to be shiny each time you reset. If you didnt you'd have to be very lucky to get a shiny of that Pokemon you reset for. Very few people just encounter that Pokemon shiny the first time.

I tried soft-resetting for a shiny Virizion a while back. I quickly got tired of it though. I haven't caught it yet, so maybe I'll try it again some time.

Why exactly is "soft resetting" with that button combination better than just powering off / on the system? Is it just faster that way, or is there any reason it's preferable (does powering off / on the system damage it if done too much or something)?

Why exactly is "soft resetting" with that button combination better than just powering off / on the system? Is it just faster that way, or is there any reason it's preferable (does powering off / on the system damage it if done too much or something)?

Yes, it's just faster.

The only thing I've ever soft-reset for was a starter on HeartGold. I decided I would take whichever one shone first, and it turned out to be Chikorita. I was a bit upset about it, since it's my least favorite of them, but I do like its shiny sprite!

I'm walking around the dragon tower Ev training a victini and suddenly BLAM!W
SHINY GOLETT WITH NATURE I WANT!

I am now EV training it

That tears it. The little so-and-so is avoiding me for some odd reason. It seems he's either teasing me or he hates me. :bawl:

But enough of my whining, what Nature did you get? What's the little cutie's Ability? Has he evolved yet? Inquiring minds and all that. And you are soooooo lucky; I am dying of jealousy over here!

Still no luck on my hunt, but I'll redouble the efforts tonight. Wish me luck. (I don't care what it takes--I WILL have a shiny Golett of my very own!)

It has a jolly nature

I havnt been playing much so no-no evolution yet.

It has iron fist ability

I also nicknamed it Nega-Golem because it's a negative golem!!!

My personal quest is a blue shuckle, or at least one with a Brave nature and Sturdy ability.

Shuckle Y U NO SHINY

Back
Top Bottom