• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

So far I've only ever encountered two natural shinies -- and for some strange reason, both in HeartGold.

First, I was Headbutting trees near Viridian when a shiny Wurmple fell out.

Then, I was smashing rocks down near Fuschia when I found a shiny Krabby.

Shiny Krabby was awesome. Too bad his shiny color changes from gold-yellow to sea-green when he evolves.

I am currently hunting for a shiny Eevee using the Masuda Method. I'm using two Jolteon, both with the hidden ability, one from my game and the foreign one from the GTS. Now after hatching 500 eggs without any luck I took the Jolteon out of the daycare to check if one was accidentally holding an Everstone and I realized that the japanese Jolteon from the GTS has the ID number 00000. Does that mean it is hacked? And if yes, does the MM work then? thanks for your answers...

Edit: ummm... I think I just answered my own question. Because LOOK! OH WOW!
Shiny Eevee.jpg
I just posted this and thought... "Oh well, let's just hatch the last 5 eggs (501-505) and the 501 was shiny! I'm so happy right now!!!!

Last edited:
When training with my Lilligant and my Eevee (who I am hoping to evolve into an Espeon) at Route 14, I encountered a Shiny Mienfoo. Named her Zoe after catching her.

I just encountered a shiny Pelliper while trying to find a Solrock for the Pokedex! Seriously still in shock! This is the first shiny I've ever randomly encountered (I once Poke Radared a Starly).

Named him Orlean~

First shiny I ever encountered was a shiny Geodude in Sapphire(North of Mauville), but sadly I didn't have any balls :(.
Some years later, I was playing Diamond and I found the first Meditite in the game and at first I thought they had changed the color of the sprite.
Then I was playing Pearl then I found a Shiny Beneary in Eterna Forest.
I was hunting for Shiny Rayquaza in HeartGold then someone suggested that I train a Parasect to level 100 and use spore and false swipe on him. As I was training the Parasect in Mt. Silver, A Shiny Graveller appeared.
I was Hatching Eevees via Masuda Method then it finally hatched.
A week later My Shiny Vulpix hatched(Also by Masuda Method).
Haven't found any shinies since then.

I blundered into the Dreamyard and triggered the Latios event, so I decided that I'd try and reset for a shiny. So far, I've only reset 15 times and haven't gotten anything. But I'll keep trying.

I don't intend to camp out there; I've done that sort of thing before and it will drive you absolutely crazy. But I will drop in every day and reset at least five or ten times. In either case, I'm gonna get me a Latios that sparkles, dang it!

My first shiny is a SHINY Roselia in pokemon Diamond. Back then I did not know the rareness of shiny pokemons, so I just ignore it and lent my Game Card to a friend. He started a new game and effectively erased my old game.
*Up until now I still cried out for that Roselia*

After that I encountered a Shiny Horsea at Whirlpool Island in Pokemon Soul Silver. This time, I kept it and raised it to a powerful Kingdra - love the purple color. :D

Then, in pokemon Black 2 now, I practiced Masuda breeding. And after 700+ eggs, I finally get a SHINY - a GORGEOUS SHINY Charmander. I almost cried my eyes out.
After that, I tried to get a shiny EEVEE and 7 eggs after that, here he is. Now he is my TANK BLUE-RING Umbreon! :((((

Guess my lucky number is 7!

So, I finally got around soft-resetting for the first time. I got the shiny charm on white 2 a while back but hadn't played it since. I quickly learned that it's pretty sweet considering that 6 resets was all it took for a brand new shiny Latias.

I've been trying for a shiny Ponyta with Masuda Method+Shiny Charm combo in W2.

No luck yet...

In all my years playing, spanning every generation I've never naturally encountered a shiny in the wild. :(

My first non-Gyrados shiny was a Japanese Unown I got on the GTS in Platinum. I was hunting for foreign pokemon at the time and it popped up. It was followed by a few other foreign shiny pokes, including Shinx, Charmander, Starly, Cranidos, Magikarp, and Feebas. Maybe one or two others.

I later learned how to RNG for shiny eggs in Gen IV, so I bred a bunch a starters. Gen V came out and I switched my attentions to that and never went back.

I was transferring Pokémon from Diamond to White 2 so I could get the Shiny Charm. The last Pokémon I needed was Gallade. But the Gallade on Diamond was a non-legit Shiny that my friend put on there. I didn't want a non-legit Shiny on White 2, so I went to the GTS to find a male Ralts (there were no Gallade or male Kirlia I could trade for) and amazingly, I found a Shiny one! All they were asking for was a Palkia, which I happily handed over. I don't know if it's legit, but it's still pretty cool. I needed a normal Gallade because I didn't want the non-legit Shiny one, and I ended up getting a potentially legit one anyway.

My first ever Shiny was in Pokemon Pearl. I was using Action Replay frequently, so when I saw a random Blue Medicham in Victory Road, My 10 year old mind thought I had broken the game. I named it "Blue", and it's now forever in My Pokemon Ranch, because I had restarted my Pearl version without withdrawing the pokemon from it.

My second shiny was in Pokemon HeartGold. I was going to Pewter City through Viridian Forest when I encountered a Shiny HootHoot. I, to this day, have no idea where it is LOL.

My third shiny is my Shiny Dragonite, Which I had bred using the Masuda Method. It had both the correct Nature and the correct Ability, so I got reaaaally lucky. I named it "Barney" because... well... it fit.

What shiny Pokémon did you encounter in X & Y?

I've encountered a fair amount of shinies over the years that I've been playing Pokémon games, so I've listed them below, accompanied by way too large pieces of text. Enjoy!(?)

Sapphire
My first ever shiny was a purple Wurmple. I'd never heard about shiny pokémon back then (roughly ten years ago), so I thought something was wrong with the game. My collectors instinct told me that I should catch it anyway, and so I did. I showed it to somebody who then told me about shinies and their rarity. This caused me to be even prouder of my Wurmple.

Diamond
It would be years before I caught my second shiny: a Shellos (West Sea). A few months after that, I met a shiny Wooper in the safari zone, which, sadly, ran away after just one turn.

SoulSilver
Shiny Gyarados, but that isn't really rare. Belongs in this list though.

Y
This generation I've been doing really well in the shiny department. Without chain breeding, -fishing or shiny hunting, I've caught 4 shinies already :D

-Electrike
-Wartortle
-Spoink
-Nidorino

That was my history with shinies. I'm glad to have been able to show them off.

Last edited:
First time I played Sapphire, I caught a Shiny Poochyena, Too bad I wasted the Master Ball and had to restart.

My history with shiny Pokemon is rather short, sadly '^^

Pokemon SoulSilver
Well, obviously I got the shiny Gyarados. I'm sure everyone who's played the game has. And around 2 weeks ago, I restarted the game, and got a female shiny Chikorita after 452 soft resets. It's my favorite Johto starter, and it's one of the few starters I prefer to have as a female.

Pokemon Black 2
Pokemon Black 2 was were I got my first ever shiny Pokemon (not including Gyarados). It was sometime in September. I was breeding for a shiny Misdreavus for my team (not evolving it 'til I get it on X) and one hatched after only 61 eggs, with a timid nature and perfect IVs in Attack and Sp.Atk. Right now I'm aiming to hatch a shiny Feebas, and I'm 250+ eggs in.

Pokemon X
On my first day with the game (October 13th, had to wait an extra day to pick up my copy) I found a shiny Furfrou while level grinding just after getting a Squirtle from Sycamore. I caught it after my second Great Ball, without attacking it.
Then, the next day, I was on route 15/16 (don't remember which), and I was going to do one more battle before finishing for the night. I encountered a hoarde of Murkrow, and one of them was shiny. I managed to catch it with a Timer Ball.

I found 2 shinies last night, it was a very lucky night for me.

I got a shiny Wartortle in the Friend Safari. I was really looking for Frogadier but I caught the Wartortle anyhow. The second shiny encounter happened when I was taking a break from hunting and just catching Scatterbugs for trading and a shiny Fletchling appeared. I was pretty surprised, but it's just awesome how my shiny luck is finally turning around after going through X without a single shiny.

Since starting my Kalos journey in October I have found two shinies to add to my success stories in previous generations. The first was a completely random Durant in Terminus Cave, while the other was a Magikarp that appeared on a chain of 21 encounters while experimenting with Chain/Consecutive Fishing for the very first time. Durant is untrained at this moment in time, but Magikarp has evolved into a generic gorgeous Red Gyarados and is currently undergoing EV Training. I love both of them and hopefully my luck continues!

I was playing White 2 at around 2 in the morning and I fond a shiny Male Combee. Caught, and I saved and shut it off for the night (morning?) When I woke up, I started to play a little bit more before Church and I found another shiny Male Combee. Darnit, 2 males. :(

Back
Top Bottom