• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Just training up some low-level mon in Granite cave, and out pops a Zubat darker than its bretheren. It's green. It sparkles. My gut clenched with fear and anticipation. I threw a nest ball and caught it without weakening it. It took about 10 minutes to breathe normally again.

Oh, yeah, did i mention, this is Ruby. Not Omega Ruby, Original Ruby. My second shiny encounter from this game (but not this save file - i transferred my green Oddish months ago where it's now living in Unova as a Vileplume). I already have had a shiny Zubat (which is now a Crobat also living in Unova) but one more won't hurt.

Horde encounter a shiny koffing then about an hour later a shiny shroomish. Caught both. Yay me

I just ran into a shiny Boldore in my White Nuzlocke. Too bad I already had a Pokemon in this area. I caught it anyway.

I've never encountered a shiny pokemon in the wild, even when I try to find them using the pokeradar or matsuda breeding. Makes me sad :( :(

Shiny wurmple in platinum, found one random encounter after ragequitting an attempt to chain a shiny budew in front of a crowd spectators. Much Lolz wuz had.
Shiny geodude (#goldenball!), also in platinum, because everyone seems to have one of these, thanks RNG.

In the space of an hour, I ran into a magnemite, two bellsprout and a scorupi in hordes. Caught all four. Can sometimes go days without finding a shiny horde. Took 3 days of looking for that magnemite

My collection's got over a hundred Shinies, but some really stand out to me more than others. Like the Shiny Lapras I SR'd in HeartGold- I had been at it for three days, it was the very first Shiny I had SR'd for successfully, and to top it all off, I got it on my 20th birthday. 10 years, to the date, since I had first started playing Pokémon. And my Shiny Furfrou- first off, I love how Shiny Furfrou looks, OK? The color scheme works for it so well. Second, the circumstances- I was in X, I was searching Route 5 for a Pancham for my team (I was going for a mono-Dark team). I run into something, I see the Furfrou silhouette, I think "not Pancham" and look away from the screen. And then I hear the sparkles. Oh, I freaked. Wanted to catch it in a Luxury Ball, which I did have, but this didn't occur to me until I had thrown a different kind of ball (I think a regular Poké Ball, I gotta check and see). Latest one I got is an Altaria I got in a Swablu horde. Took a while to catch, though- they all knew Sing, and they were not shy about using it! There's also the two Geodude and one Graveler, all Shiny, all from hordes. In each case, I had my Beheeyem Skill Swap Telepathy onto the Shiny so its allies' Magnitudes didn't kill it. In fact, I recommend such a Beheeyem to anyone going for a Shiny that could potentially be KO'd by its allies, be it Geodude, or Graveler, or Seviper/Zangoose, or even Heatmor.

My collection's got over a hundred Shinies, but some really stand out to me more than others. Like the Shiny Lapras I SR'd in HeartGold- I had been at it for three days, it was the very first Shiny I had SR'd for successfully, and to top it all off, I got it on my 20th birthday. 10 years, to the date, since I had first started playing Pokémon. And my Shiny Furfrou- first off, I love how Shiny Furfrou looks, OK? The color scheme works for it so well. Second, the circumstances- I was in X, I was searching Route 5 for a Pancham for my team (I was going for a mono-Dark team). I run into something, I see the Furfrou silhouette, I think "not Pancham" and look away from the screen. And then I hear the sparkles. Oh, I freaked. Wanted to catch it in a Luxury Ball, which I did have, but this didn't occur to me until I had thrown a different kind of ball (I think a regular Poké Ball, I gotta check and see). Latest one I got is an Altaria I got in a Swablu horde. Took a while to catch, though- they all knew Sing, and they were not shy about using it! There's also the two Geodude and one Graveler, all Shiny, all from hordes. In each case, I had my Beheeyem Skill Swap Telepathy onto the Shiny so its allies' Magnitudes didn't kill it. In fact, I recommend such a Beheeyem to anyone going for a Shiny that could potentially be KO'd by its allies, be it Geodude, or Graveler, or Seviper/Zangoose, or even Heatmor.

Wow, over a hundred! I haven't even got one yet, although I'm trying to catch or hatch a shiny Ponyta.

Wow, over a hundred! I haven't even got one yet, although I'm trying to catch or hatch a shiny Ponyta.

Good luck! :) I've tried for a Shiny Ponyta several times in the past, whether it was trying to hatch one or get one via Poké Radar in Generation IV, never with any success. Looks cool with those blue flames. But I can't complain- I got a lot of awesome-looking Shinies myself. Besides the aforementioned Furfrou and Lapras, there's also my Shiny Heatmor. Best. Color scheme. Ever. And then my Shiny Chesnaught, and my Shiny Manectric- I actually have two of those, both of which I got while trying for a Shiny Helioptile in a Friend Safari in Y. Just awesome to look at, especially when they Mega Evolve. My Shiny Greninja, that's awesome, and my Shiny Luxray, and my Shiny Arbok, and my Shiny Zoroark... I love them all, honestly.

My first shiny was a Murkrow in crystal. In the same game I encounter 8 different shinys. The only one I've seen in the wild since was an other Murkrow.

Shiny ralts, on like 15th encounter in AS. And really happy with that, cause my save file had gotten corrupted, forcing me to reset and causing me to lose everything (including a shiny gardevoir) Male ralts though this time so not sure what evoltuion path i'll let him take yet

Does anyone feel that getting a shiny is now too easy? Before, you'd be lucky to find one a year. Now, it's one a day. Are shiny pokemon losing their special?

I was trying to get my Flaaffy to evolve on route 117, and I ran into a shiny Zigzagoon! That's shiny number 4 in the wild.

EDIT: And today I just ran into a shiny Cascoon! 2 random shinies in 3 days?! This is awesome!

Last edited:
If we find another shiny nosepass, I swear I will murder it. On that note, would anyone like one? Caught my fourth one today

I don't think Shiny Pokemon are common or getting too easy to get. I went YEARS without finding one. The last ones I found were a couple of shiny Gastlys in Pearl, that's like 10 years back.
so after like a decade, yesterday I found a shiny Vanillite in a horde.
It's about luck I think.

Back
Top Bottom