• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Living Dex. Who's dreaming of it?

Absolutely not. I could see something like having a living Pokédex for Pokémon of a specific type (like Myles II suggested). But yeah no a living Shiny Pokédex seems way out of the realm of possibility for me, this coming from someone currently working towards a regular living Pokédex. One living Pokédex idea I have thought about though is a living Japanese Pokédex. I think it would be cool to have one of each Pokémon from a Japanese game.

I would definitely like to have one, but no. I don't have the patience to find that many shinies.

I would definitely like to have one, but no. I don't have the patience to find that many shinies.
Who the hell has the patience for that??
I think many do! The joy of finally getting that one you're after makes you keep coming back.

How are you accounting for the ones that can't be caught in your game?

e.g. say you're playing OR and want a Lotad - you'll have no option but to trade or import from a previous gen, therefore you won't be the OT (for that game, at least).
Then there's the whole factor of impossible to catch- pokemon. It's not like any game has a wild Mew or Arceus just laying about, is it?

Frankly, without cheating/hacking, it's impossible. I take my shinies wherever i can find them, but i don't obsess about getting them all. They're more special that way, i think.

I never have and I never will. Wanting to catch every mon is tough enough, but when you factor in the chance of actually GETTING a shiny... yes, I know, Shiny Charm. But what if someone attempted this in Gen. II-V? It'd probably take over a year.
*Over one hundred years. I've been playing pokemon for... i can't count how long and i've only ever actually caught 2 shinies, the rest were traded or in game events like the Gible from Benga in B2
If you want a shiny Lotad in OR then trade one from another game and breed for the shiny? I'm not so concerned about finding them all within one game though. If you catch one in HG then it's still yours even though you might have a different username and whatnot.

Imagine starting from scratch, with the Bulbasaur-line. It would mean that you'll have to have three shiny Bulbasaurs just to have the first three Pokemon from your shiny living dex. Its a wild fantasy, too difficult to complete with only one OT.

That would be cool to own a complete shiny dex. It is impossible however due to several shiny locks and new generations being made.
Surely new generations being made only makes it easier?
As far as I can count it's possible to legitimately catch or hatch 707 of 719 pkmn shiny as of now. I know that's not all but my point was getting those that exist, eg. you're able to catch them.

Well, I'm trying. With shinies easier to find now, it's just a matter of time.. a lot of time.. I probably won't be able to finish it for a couple years, but now that I've completed the game that's my main goal, and I'm currently soft resetting for a shiny Ho-oh in OR and Mewtwo in HG.
That Mewtwo in HG is incredible when you get it. Do you keep some kind of count of encounters? I didn't but I think it took me 3000 encounters.

Dunno if I'd ever want to work toward a complete shiny living Dex, but I tried getting all the obtainable shiny Gen VI Pokemon. I have 50/66 at the moment, but I haven't worked on it in over a year. The only ones I'm missing are Froakie, Fletchinder, Scatterbug, Spewpa, Litleo, Flabebe, Aromatisse, Binacle, Barbaracle, Skrelp (no idea how I'm missing this one), Heloptile, Tyrunt, Amaura, Aurorus, Carbink, and Goomy. I caught most of them in the Friend Safari, but I also used the Masuda Method for a good number of them. I have the Shiny Charm.

I have no idea how many shiny Pokemon I've caught in all, especially because I've traded away all my duplicates. Certainly well over a hundred.

I'm currently soft resetting for a shiny Latias with the Shiny Charm. I've never really tried soft resetting, at least not for long. I've never encountered a shiny Legendary Pokemon... after watching my sister run into a shiny Terrakion first try without the Shiny Charm, I've been determined to catch one.
That is a very cool idea tho, also to break it down and not have it be such a daunting task. Maybe I should just focus on Kanto or whatever, cus at the moment I'm just looking wherever pretty much.

I just finished a normal Living Dex (without Mythical Pokémon, I do not have the patience for that), and I have absolutely no plans for doing a shiny Living Dex. Hell, it doesn't even sound possible due to shiny locks.
It's actually very few that are locked in all generations. Pretty much just the event ones and the Kalos legends.

A Shiny Living Dex? No, A living Dex is far too ambitious already! However, a Living Shiny Bug Dex would be cool, or maybe Water.

I might be doing a shiny Living Starter Dex, if I have the patience.
I was just about to say this! That would be an awesome collection!

Granted I was on sick leave for two months with basically not much to do than be in bed and get better, and without that I would have never collected what I have, because yeah, life gets in the way absolutely.

Well, I'm trying. With shinies easier to find now, it's just a matter of time.. a lot of time.. I probably won't be able to finish it for a couple years, but now that I've completed the game that's my main goal, and I'm currently soft resetting for a shiny Ho-oh in OR and Mewtwo in HG.
That Mewtwo in HG is incredible when you get it. Do you keep some kind of count of encounters? I didn't but I think it took me 3000 encounters.

Nope, I'm not counting. I started doing it then it got boring, lol. But I'm pretty sure I've tried more than 3000 times.

On the bright side, finally got my shiny Ho-oh! It's sassy, though.

I've accumulated many shinies via hacking (go ahead, throw tomatoes at me) and only a small handful of ones naturally. With my AR I can make any Pokemon shiny...Except Kalos Pokemon. Don't got an AR for that. D: So, if we're including hacking into this then it's definitely possible. But without hacking? I'd die of boredom before I got an inch close. DX And besides, I only collect the shinies I find cool or ones I've encountered naturally. Have no desire to keep 700+ shinies, 95% of them in which I don't like. o3o. It might be a cool experiment if you've got lots of time on your hand and extreme amounts of patience, but me? Nah, no thanks. It's hard doing a living dex as it is, let alone do a shiny one. (Not to mention the breeding and hunting in X/Y would kill me. Already killing me enough with just one Pumpkaboo. D: )

Ah man, all I can do is dream. With the rate shinies appear, the shiny locks, the possibility of shinies running off/self destructing, I'd say it's intimidatingly impossible. Some changes to how often shinies show up will have to change, shiny locks will have to be unlocked, and events will have to distribute them to make it possible legally. It's a nice thing to dream about, but it's not possible unless you hack.

I have this task since BW and I am currently at 166 species. I've got almost all the fishable ones as whole shiny families. The only one missing from this bunch is a shiny Dragonair. I have one Dratini and I could evolve it but it doesn't change the fact that one family member is missing. I now am hunting for Zorua in AS.

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Getting a regular living dex took me a year, no way am I doing a legit shiny living dex! Getting a shiny Vespiquen would be a nightmare.

Well I started my shiny living dex Journey 3 years ago, I am working towards it but i am being realistic & i know i wont get all the mythicals. But Dynamax Adventures, Massive mass outbreaks & Scarlet & violet have made shiny hunting alot more mainstream. I have around 450 outt 1023 so far. Its been 3 years but its more of a long term goal just for my own sake.

I am only trying to do this in GO because the shiny rates are much better and it is not affected by Dexit so eventually the actual # for total completion on same account will be bigger than any game so far.

It is HARD. As in, almost impossible. I am still missing a handful all the way back in Gen 1.

Never cared about shiny hunting tbh, however, I truly admire the dedication that some of you have! ^^

That's going to be a hard pass from me. Completing the National Pokedex, which I've done in two games, was tedious enough. I actually dread finding a shiny, because then I feel like I can't just knock it out, I have to keep it--and because I play so many older games, that means I have to go through the nightmare of moving it several generations to Pokemon Home. And I forget how to do it every time! The confusion of the transfers from Gens IV, V, and VI lead to me screwing up every time.

For that reason, I kind of hate shinies. They look cool, though, and as @VaatiRulesets said, I'm impressed by people's determination and perseverance!

A shiny living dex with all members having the owners OT sounds like several pitches of improbable. It's certainly not a task I'd want to do, but for anyone who has it's probably quite the accomplishment.

(I might consider doing "first 150" if we ever get Masters to HOME transfers. That would be quite the head start, since the Shiny rate in that game is much higher. Then I could get a copy of Let's Go and mop up the rest.)

So, do people try to catch every single species, or is it better to only capture base stages and evolve them as necessary? Or do people breed for most of their Shinies?

Last edited:
In my 10+ years of playing the franchise, I haven't even bothered to finish a single Pokedex let alone national dex. Trying a shiny living dex would be way out of my zone. Mad respect to those who attempt and/or achieve it though

Back
Top Bottom