• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The "Which Game in the Series Should I Start With?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairy Ice Ricky

Move along, move along
Reaction score
('Cause there are so many series I wanna get into but I don't know where to start... !)

This thread is for people who want to try out a game in a series they've never played before, but may feel too overwhelmed with the possible choices to know where to begin. This thread is also for people want to help these poor lost souls find their place in these new worlds. :p Let's help people get into brand new game series!

I'll start with an example suggestion and a question:

For someone just starting out with the main Pokémon series I would recommend starting with Pokémon X & Y. I think the general mechanics/rules of Pokémon are explained fairly well in these games, and this pair is the most accessible in the series for newcomers in my opinion, especially with the relatively easy level curve and updated Exp. Share. The massive regional 'dex can be overwhelming, but it also means newcomers are just that more likely to create a team that really suits them the best. (For those who want a smaller regional 'dex, HeartGold & SoulSilver are probably better choices.)

--

Right now I'm looking into the Kingdom Hearts games, and well, I just don't know which one I should begin with! XD Because of my limited resources I can only try out the DS or 3DS releases right now (Re:coded, 358/2 Days, and Dream Drop Distance)--I do plan on getting a PS3 soon, but I'm not exactly sure how soon. Do you think any of the 3/DS games would be a nice place to start in the series (taking game play mechanices and the timeline into consideration). If so which one should I get, and if not which game do you think is better to start with?

Oga boga thread revivea.

Well, I'm afraid I can't help you there, as the only KH game I played was the first, and I baraly got anywhere at all. As for why I'm posting here, I was thinking of getting into the Tales series after hearing numerous praises for them, but I don't know where to begin (though I do have my eyes on Symphonia). As for my console limitations, I have the Playstations One and Two, and after that all I've got is the Nintendo consoles - the Wii and Wii U. So, if anyone could recomend a game from that series that runs on those consoles, it'd be much appreciated.

Right now I'm looking into the Kingdom Hearts games, and well, I just don't know which one I should begin with! XD Because of my limited resources I can only try out the DS or 3DS releases right now (Re:coded, 358/2 Days, and Dream Drop Distance)--I do plan on getting a PS3 soon, but I'm not exactly sure how soon. Do you think any of the 3/DS games would be a nice place to start in the series (taking game play mechanices and the timeline into consideration). If so which one should I get, and if not which game do you think is better to start with?

I would recommend starting with wither Birth by Sleep or getting 1.5 (Which has I and Chain of Memories playable and cut-scenes of Days) if you have a PS3 by now if you can wait there's also 2.5 that will have Birth by Sleep and II playable with cut-scenes version of recoded. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

As for why I'm posting here, I was thinking of getting into the Tales series after hearing numerous praises for them, but I don't know where to begin (though I do have my eyes on Symphonia). As for my console limitations, I have the Playstations One and Two, and after that all I've got is the Nintendo consoles - the Wii and Wii U. So, if anyone could recomend a game from that series that runs on those consoles, it'd be much appreciated.

I'm not sure if there are any Tales of games that run on those systems that's not a sequel. If you want you could Try Dawn of The New World(Symphonia's sequel) But it would be confusing to play without playing Symphonia first and would spoiler some stuff for Symphonia so I can't really recommend it as a starting point.

Oga boga thread revivea.

Well, I'm afraid I can't help you there, as the only KH game I played was the first, and I baraly got anywhere at all. As for why I'm posting here, I was thinking of getting into the Tales series after hearing numerous praises for them, but I don't know where to begin (though I do have my eyes on Symphonia). As for my console limitations, I have the Playstations One and Two, and after that all I've got is the Nintendo consoles - the Wii and Wii U. So, if anyone could recomend a game from that series that runs on those consoles, it'd be much appreciated.

Well on the ps2 the was Abyss and Legendia. Tales of the Abyss is the more popular of the 2. I personally liked Legendia better.

I'd recommend you start with Dream Drop Distance. If you start with Re:Coded or 358/2 Days, it'll be like taking a great book that you've never read, opening it to somewhere in the middle of the story, and start reading from there. In other words: the story's good, the game's fun, but the story will leave you thunderflipped and confused. (I know... I started with Days and Re:Coded myself.) DDD at least gives you summaries of all the other games' stories. I'd really recommend getting the PS3, buy 1.5, and play the very first one, though. Re:Coded and Days have storylines that are both very dependent on the first game and Chain of Memories, keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom