• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Worst Thing

Kyuuketsuki

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse
Reaction score
So basically, what do you thing the worst thing is? That if Gamefreak adds it to the games it would completely ruin the franchise.

I personally think that if they did a 4 Pokemon Evolutionary family (as in Charizard evolving to a fourth evolution) would destroy and ruin the franchise.

What do you think?

I don't think that anything can be ADDED that would ruin the franchise, because then there would still be the old stuff to work with. So no, Pokemon can only get better for me (nostalgia hasn't impacted me as much).

~ In before Light-type/Arceus parallel/etc.

I personally think that if they did a 4 Pokemon Evolutionary family (as in Charizard evolving to a fourth evolution) would destroy and ruin the franchise.
This, having repeated typings AGAIN (Masquerain & Butterfree, Walrein & Dewgong, etc.), giving pre-evolutions (what purpose do they serve anyway?), and having even MORE Pokemon that are useless (Huntail, Arbok, Stantler, etc.)

Dual type moves would be stupid.

Dual-type moves would just break my brain, not the game. I wouldn't be able to understand what's regular/super/resistant.

This, having repeated typings AGAIN (Masquerain & Butterfree, Walrein & Dewgong, etc.), giving pre-evolutions (what purpose do they serve anyway?), and having even MORE Pokemon that are useless (Huntail, Arbok, Stantler, etc.)

Those Pokemon aren't useless, they have the same typing, yeah, but they also have different stats/movepool/egg group/species name/etc. And I think that pre-evolutions have some moves that evolved can't learn, making use of the breeding mechanic. Also, for some Pokemon it doesn't seem 'natural' (nothing is realistic in the Pokemon world, I know) that they are born/hatched into that form; giant bird like Skarmory popping out of an egg (or something like that, can't think of one).

Hey! Arbok isn't useless! And types are gonna be repeated no matter what.
Anyway, adding a light type. if they did add it I wouldn't care but it would just bother the hell outta me.

Dual-type moves would just break my brain, not the game. I wouldn't be able to understand what's regular/super/resistant.

I think the math would be trouble for a lot of younger kids, the primary audience of the game. Not to mention it's broken in competitive play by allowing a ridiculous amount of type coverage.

It's funny that people who want dual types move act like people who don't want them are afraid of things getting harder when it only makes the easier.

I think the math would be trouble for a lot of younger kids, the primary audience of the game. Not to mention it's broken in competitive play by allowing a ridiculous amount of type coverage.

It's funny that people who want dual types move act like people who don't want them are afraid of things getting harder when it only makes the easier.

Well, I wouldn't have a problem with calculating it (don't know if that's what you mean..) but yeah, it would allow insane type coverage. Imagine a Fighting/Ground Move, two of the strongest types in the game, paired with a Fighting/Ground Pokemon. It'd become an automatic Uber because of STAB and all that.. other stuff.

I like huntail. And Arbok. Sure weezing and muk may be stronger but arbok looks so much cooler. Walrein and dewgong are both useful in different ways. Dewgong is more defensive and walrein is more offensive and has more hp.

Anyways, I can't think of anything that i would just really not like. Dual type moves would be annoying. Also the 4 stage thing would be dumb. I can't really think of anything else right off.

character customization.
clothes change, ok, but a complete would be a shit.
and more megazords, oops, ugly pokemons.

Pokémon is already RUINED FOREVER! This new generation is going to ruin my childhood! GEEWUN 4EVER!

Alright, now the obvious jokes are over with (although the last one may not be so obvious), let's get a little more serious. Nothing can ruin Pokémon. Let's face it, Gamefreak knows their market, they think things over before they act, they actually play the game to test it. No new game mechanics can break the game. Only new minigames or Pokémon can ruin the game if you don't like them. Both you don't have to play the new minigames or use the new Pokémon.

I think dual typed moves would work if they weren't dual typed when they hit the Pokemon.

What I mean is, and this has been an idea of mine (although not likely original) is that before the battle or maybe even during the battle you choose the type that hits the Pokemon or possibly have it be random.

Like let's take ice punch. it could be both a fighting and ice type. Choose which type you want to take advantage during a battle ice or fighting.

Now I can see how that might end up being tiring, so maybe just limit these type of moves to signature attacks or very rare moves. The moves that exist currently don't necessarily need be reprogrammed, so maybe only limit this to new moves as well.

If my father was a homeless person in a game. . .

Srsly I would not be pleased.

Limit Breaks, Real-time Battles, Summons, Angst, etc.

Last edited:
The problem with dual-type moves is this. Consider Moltres using a Fire/Flying move against Parasect. Fire beats bug: x2, fire beats grass: x2, flying beats bug: x2, flying beats grass: x2, Moltres gets STAB from Fire moves: x1.5, Moltres gets STAB from Flying moves: x1.5. Now let's put that together: 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 1.5 * 1.5 = 36.

Yes, that's x36 damage.

It would just be way too easy to get one-hit KOs all of the time.

Can someone give an example of a dual-type move? I still don't get the concept.

Can someone give an example of a dual-type move? I still don't get the concept.

Like someone else said, the elemental punches could be their present typing + Fighting; Ice Punch Ice/Fighting, Fire Punch Fire/Fighting, and Thunder Punch Electric/Fighting.

Some other examples I can think of:
Bullet Punch: Steel/Fighting
Brave Bird: Flying/Fighting
Muddy Water: Water/Ground
Steel Wing: Steel/Flying

And if they actually allowed Tri-typing (obviously not):
Tri Attack: Electric/Ice/Fire

Dual type moves would be like Heat Wave being Flying/Fire at the same time, with some really complicated calculations going into the deal.

The worst thing that could ever happen?

1) ALL old Pokemon being unobtainable, permanently (complete reboot).
2) Someone other than GF making the main series games (with things like XD not being counted as main series) - as in, GF never designs the monsters, moves, anything anymore.

... I think I need to go hide under the covers now...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom