• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Themed Teams #1

Thundagere

Rocking the Lucario
Reaction score

Themed Teams #1
Competitive battling definitely goes through swings, as we all know. Usage of Pokémon goes up and down, and is almost never constant. Consequently, team building processes must also sway to reflect the constantly changing metagame.
But you know, sometimes we just want to go crazy and make a team just for the fun of it. That’s the purpose of this thread. The idea is simple—a theme will be given, and you have to decide on the Pokémon that fit the team and can be used. After this, members will discuss what Pokémon they want to use on the team, and decide on move sets. Finally, the team will be tested.
This thread serves as the place for any discussion concerning this. Feel free to go crazy, but stay within the theme!
The theme this time is
71535.png

I moustache you a question. Can you build the team?

Use Pokémon that have mustaches. These Pokémon must be male. Beyond that, is up to you.
Gyarados serves as one example.

At the end, a battle showcasing the team will be posted.
Rules:
Be civil.
Respect other people’s opinions. Just because you think that Scarfed Landorus is the perfect Pokémon for this team, doesn’t mean everyone else does.
After you've discussed for some time, I will post saying it's time to vote. Then, vote for which Pokémon you want. You may vote for up to three Pokémon. The final list will then be made, and we'll add movesets.
Good luck!

Alakazam for Sp.Atk

Metagross for Atk

dusclops @ evolite for defences

probopass for pure 'stache power

water absorb jellicent + surfing whiscash for fun

Walrein to keep our water type trend going

samurott for the same reason

Meinshao for fake outs

cricketune for the same reason as probopass

and the kami trio

although I can't fit all of these into one party They are all powerful (except cricketune) in their own ways.

Could we have a list of all Pokemon that fit the theme?

Here's a rough list of "moustached" Pokemon:

- Rattata and Raticate (whiskers)
- Nidoran Female (whiskers)
- Meowth and Persian (whiskers)
- Kadabra and Alakazam
- Magikarp and Gyarados (barbels)
- Magcargo (if that two sacs beside its nose counts)
- Raikou
- Entei
- Swalot
- Whiscash (barbels)
- Sealeo and Walrein
- Kricketune
- Glameow and Purugly (whiskers)
- Drapion
- Abomasnow
- Mamoswine
- Probopass
- Dewott and Samurott (whiskers in Dewott's case)
- Herdier and Stoutland
- Liepard (whiskers)
- Boldore and Gigalith (if the red crystals under their eyes count)
- Jellicent (male)
- Mienshao
- Cobalion
- Tornadus
- Thundurus
- Landorus

Thanks for reading.

I'm thinking that the optimal way to build this team would be to start off with an intimidate core consisting of Gyarados and Landorus-T because together they shut down a plethora of physically attacking threats as well as being reasonably effective in both Rain and Sandstorm. With no ability to run a weather of our own, hazard stacking is going to be pretty important.

If we're hazard stacking then we'd want a spinblocker. Conviniently we have the Ghost/Water Jellicent for that.

I'm thinking that the optimal way to build this team would be to start off with an intimidate core consisting of Gyarados and Landorus-T because together they shut down a plethora of physically attacking threats as well as being reasonably effective in both Rain and Sandstorm. With no ability to run a weather of our own, hazard stacking is going to be pretty important.

There's Abomasnow if you need weather. It would partner with Walrein for the moustached Ice-type pair. By the way, from the main post, I gather that the team doesn't need to have all Pokemon with the moustached theme. It's just that the focus of the team is that particular type.

Thanks for reading.

Pokemon that have mustaches (based on Winstein's list) that know Stealth Rock:
Marcargo
Mamoswine
Probopass
Gigalith
Terrakion
Cobalion
Landorus

So at least one of these pokemon has to be on the team if we want SR, Mamoswine looks optimal.

Hail Moustache would be pretty awesome indeed. Gyarados or Jellicent and Abomasnow have surprisingly good synergy together. Walrein and Mamoswine enjoy the Hail, and Alakazam/Mienshao work well in the hail too thanks to their abilities. Shame we don't get any Rapid Spinners as entry hazards destroy hail teams.

Does Cryogonal have a moustache or is that its mouth? Its immunity to Hail and access to RS is worth mentioning.

I doubt Cryptogonal falls into the tash category.

Mamoswine or Landorus Therian are great for rocks. Jellicent having access to Recover likely makes it a better choice for Hail (This is sad because Gyarados goes great with Mamoswine and Landorus-T as well as being a great Volcarona check, regardless of set). Both Mienshao and Alakazam have great merit (Though provide zero defensive support).

I really do not think it does because it has the Trident as like a mask on its face where a Moustache would be.

I'd go for mamoswine for stealth rocks along with Icicle crash, earthquake and ice shard, holding focus sash.

do we want singles or doubles?

Singles.

Can we all agree that we want Mamoswine on the team?

Definitely a yes for Mamo for me.

Also, we can figure out sets later when we have team sorted out, or at least mostly figured.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom