• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Themed Teams #1

If we have Mamoswine, I think we can mostly agree that Hail is the best way to go in terms of viable partners. So Abomasnow?

What are people's thoughts on Gyarados vs Jellicent here?

I'm iffy about Abamasnow as Hail is probably the least optimal weather.

We don't have to go with it, but considering how much we have at our disposal that enjoy Hail, I think it'd be a good choice.

Abomasnow in itself is decent running a mixed set and Hail is good in that the opponent can't abuse their weather (Hail is the easiest to win the weather war with).

I would include Cryogonal as a "moustached" Pokemon. The only problem is Cryogonal is genderless. Same goes for Cobalion and possibly Terrakion. Unless the Pokemon are allowed to be genderless if no gender is given, it's probably prohibited.

Also, it does look like the team is shaping up to be a Hail team. A Rock resistance would be great, even though there aren't many. Here, we have Cobalion (if it's allowed), Probopass, Whiscash and Mienshao. I am OK with a wildcard, because it makes it easier to make the team. I could see this going the Rain route (Politoed the wildcard), thanks to the ability to use Raikou, Tornadus and Thundurus.

Thanks for reading.

Just for the sake of clarity, let's say that Genderless Pokémon are allowed. Also, the team may have one wildcard, because we have a fake moustache that one can use.

The wildcard should either be Heatran or a better spinner than Cryogonal.

I think jellicent would make a good spinner.
with recover and water spout he can be pretty powerful (hail damage may be a slight problem though).
Also, perfect accuracy blizzard can be very helpful to counter all those darn dragon-pseudo-legendaries.

Mamo's moveset:

stealth rock
earthquake
icicle crash
ice shard

Any objections suggestions/changes?

I like the idea of running a Hail team, although I have no experience with one so I don't know how you would build one. Perhaps Aboma, Meinshao, Mamoswine, and Probopass could work? Maybe you could throw in Raikou for added coverage, and then throw in a spin blocker like Jellicent if you plan on running rocks on Mamo or Probo, or run a spinner like Starmie (potential WC?) if you don't plan on using rocks.

EDIT: Also lol, Starmie with a fake mustache would just be cool xD

We need something that can take down Skarmory (Mamoswine, Jellicent, Gyarados and Mienshao cannot do this) which is why Heatran seems the best choice for the wildcard. The only problem with this is that a well played SkarmBliss core really hurts us.
@ShadowBlaziken; depending on what else we run Stealth Rocks may become Superpower to grant extra coverage if we do not need the rocks on him.

I just though, this Abomasnow set really hurts stall teams:

Abomasnow (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 212 Atk / 200 SAtk / 96 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Evs are there to outspeed 8 speed Heatran and also 1HKO Tyranitar. This set may mean that Heatran is not necessary.

@thepokemaster; Probopass is really not viable at all and Raikou is only really worth running if we need a desperate counter to Rain.

ScarfThundurus really could solve the Skarmory issue, but we would have to use a spinner as well. Forretress could set up hazards and Starmie could take advantage of Hail.

EDIT: Does Kingdra have a Moustache?

I'll nominate Specs Kingdra which has a lot of use in the current metagame and pairs well with Heatran and Abomasnow.

ChestoRest is great with DD and dual STAB. Another option if status proves troublesome or we need a status sponge or physical set-up sweeper.

Outrage/scarf kingdra is pretty awesome but I would suggest DD because of kings low-average physical attack. Even with Ev training haxorus is much better with outrage (but I doubt massive battleaxes count as a mustache.

if we're counting kingdra's... facial hair... as a really thick mustache then we couldn't give politoed the fake moustache (unless we give kingdra sniper).

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom