• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Themes in your writing

TheLlama

Reality is a dream
Reaction score
How important are themes to your writing? Do you always try to include a running theme (be it social critique, dealing with certain emotions, some sort of generic philosophical musings, etc)? If so, what kind of themes are you most attracted to?

Generally, I do. In the novel I'm working on, the main theme is realism vs. idealism, but there's also quite a few others, like political corruption, class tension, and a few others.

Sometimes, though, I like to write something with no real theme, just as a fun sort of exercise. My current Dragon Ball fanfiction is an example of that.

mine usually contain either religious themes or themes that have to deal with a certain moral or life lesson.

I actually don't plan out any themes at all, I just write the stories of my characters, the themes sort of show up on their own. Some of the themes I've done:

-Hopelessness of death
-The pain hidden behind smiles
-Carrying on your family's dreams
-What it means to be 'complete'
-many more....

Oddly enough, I once wrote an always follow your dreams tale then later wrote a dreams are useless garbage story.....I don't even know how the themes make their way into my works.

I don't plan any themes to be in my writing, and usually just write a story with the sole intention of writing a story. It's only about halfway through the story that I see the theme my story had taken on, and I go with it. For example, in 'The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!', I just wanted to write a story about Maylene, and it's only while writing the past chapter that I discovered it was more about power, how everyone got it, and how it changed them.

I try to give each chapter I write a moral or lesson you can learn, basically like learning from different experiences. Sometimes they're my own personal experience or one I've heard about, or sometimes it's the character of the story driving the plot that runs into a unique experience, maybe even character relationships, but basically its like a wise man once said: "An idiot learns from their own mistakes, a wise man learns from others'."

Of course this doesn't mean that you're an idiot because you learned from your own mistake, it just means that if you had heard of someone's personal experience earlier, then fell into the same mistake that you aren't paying attention enough.

Whether I write about broader philosophical topics - Different Eyes' preoccupation is with transhumanism, for example - or about more contemporary political or social issues - many of my original works will focus greatly on the issue of prejudice in relation to gender, race, sexuality and religion - I usually endeavour to have some enduring theme in my writing.

Another favoured theme of mine is the old Romanticism Versus Rationalism debate that dominated Rennaissance literature. Essentially, is the heart or the mind more important? It's a more nuanced question than you may at first think, especially since so much media insists that you must follow your heart always and that to think otherwise is desperately cynical. I used to believe that emotion and feeling and the like were more valid than intellectual pursuits, but I've since changed my mind and believe that in all aspects of human experience, a balance of the two is required. (Worth its own thread, perhaps?)

I am a very philosophical person, there's hardly an aspect of life I haven't pondered about from a philosophical viewpoint (including among other things household appliances - no, I'm not shitting you). What I like to ponderabout the most, however, is questions relating to existence. Why are we here, and for what purpose? I have my own personal answers to all those questions (yes, I found an answer the the whole meaning of life deal), but in my stories I love reflecting on those questions. Why are we here? What is our purpose? Were we placed here with any intent? If I pose answers in my writing, it's often that we weren't "placed" here for any reason. We have no purpose. No one placed us here with any intent. Meaning doesn't exist except as an arbitrary concept to find solace and stability in our insignificant lives; it's a (justified) denial of reality's worst message of all: We're for all intents and purposes pointless, both as individuals and as a race.

Now, this isn't necessarily true; there's ways to twist this to a positive perspective (e.g. "big picture versus small picture"-reasoning), not all characters would land on these thoughts, but in general I like them like that. I like it to be something blunt like that. If anything, I'm fascinated by cosmicism, the returning theme of Lovecraft that we are insignificant and all the consequences of this; for example that if there were gods, they would not care about us.

Otherwise, I include themes such as what it means to be human; in pokemon I can do this through humans with magic, pokemorphing, and other such that cross the boundary between man and pokemon, while in non-pokemon I can simply have it be someone who is outside of society at large, I can have the age-old AI versus human moral conflict, and so on and so forth.

Other themes may strecth from political issues (I'm very active as a debater of politics, and even in a country with more than ten political parties of all thinkable and unthinkable ideologies, there's none which I fully agree with, and there wouldn't be that if there were a hundred of them - so there's plenty of issues for me to pick from and debate thematically, both from personal opinions and from other people's opinions that I meet during debates), to social issues, and whatever else you can think of. Can it be seriously reflected on, it can be a theme. But I mostly prefer the first ones; about existence, meaning and such. I draw from Lovecraftian cosmicism (which is slight ironic, as I have never actually read Lovecraft, a freind of mine simply pointed me to cosmicism when I was dicussing these themes with her)

An idiot learns from their own mistakes, a wise man learns from others'
I strongly disagree, actually. "A smart man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from others' mistakes" is a line I prefer over that. Learning from your own mistakes is a sign of someone who is smart - the reasons for making your mistakes are irrelevant, and yo uhave obviously never heard of every possible mistake before, so making a mistake does not make you stupid or silly or signifies that you don't pay attention, it only means you're human. And learning from those mistakes means you're smart enough to acknowledge this and take what knowledge you can from it; mistakes and failure are the ultimate teachers. Those who ae capable of seeing others' mistakes and learning from that to avoid making their own mistakes, are wise men indeed - but they would not be wise nor smart of they did not learn from their own mistakes, or if they never made mistakes themselves (because thinking you never make mistakes and never will is a denial of reality). One who learns from both their own and others' mistakes is wise and smart; he acknowledges that he is human enough to make mistakes and knows how to learn from them, but he also recognizes that everyone else around him are human as well, and that their mistakes are mistakes he himself can make. Thus he learns from them.

Themes are very important in writing. Almost always there needs to be some sort of conflict, and conflict almost always takes on a certain theme (man vs. man, man vs. nature, man vs. machine, man vs. his emotions, etc.)
The only time that you could get away with no theme would be in a few very specific works, like if you're writing as if it's a diary entry or a news article with no overall story to get across and just want to describe things.

If I pose answers in my writing, it's often that we weren't "placed" here for any reason. We have no purpose. No one placed us here with any intent. Meaning doesn't exist except as an arbitrary concept to find solace and stability in our insignificant lives; it's a (justified) denial of reality's worst message of all: We're for all intents and purposes pointless, both as individuals and as a race.

Your views are appreciably similar to mine, which I find interesting. I've not met many other existentialists who aren't also extraordinarily morbid, depressed or sociopathic. Those who believe in a morally blank universe often end up being an Agent Smith or a Rorschach. I'd like to discuss this kind of thing in more detail with you at some point, I think, if you'd care to.

I'm fascinated by cosmicism, the returning theme of Lovecraft that we are insignificant and all the consequences of this; for example that if there were gods, they would not care about us.

Another interesting idea, and one I like. However, I'm sure that even if deity-like beings did not care to influence humanity in any particular direction, sentient life, or any biology, is one of the more fascinating aspects of the entire universe, given the predictable lack of subtlety with which physics conducts itself. Have you ever come across the speech by Doctor Manhattan of Watchmen fame about the thermodynamic miracle in comparison to human psychology?

Otherwise, I include themes such as what it means to be human; in pokemon I can do this through humans with magic, pokemorphing, and other such that cross the boundary between man and pokemon, while in non-pokemon I can simply have it be someone who is outside of society at large, I can have the age-old AI versus human moral conflict, and so on and so forth. Other themes may strecth from political issues, to social issues, and whatever else you can think of.

Obviously I must peruse your fanfiction at the earliest convenient opportunity. This is exactly the sort of thing I love to read, write and discuss.

Themes are very important in writing. Almost always there needs to be some sort of conflict, and conflict almost always takes on a certain theme (man vs. man, man vs. nature, man vs. machine, man vs. his emotions, etc.)

Now, I'm not so sure that "protagonist versus X" actually qualifies as a theme. I'd argue that if you have two protagonists in two stories, one fighting a fatal illness and the other fighting racial discrimination, the themes in question are death and prejudice, not "man vs circumstance". Sound reasoning?

I particularly like entertaining the idea of moral ambiguity and the idea that there really is no "only good" or "only bad" person in the world. I like to show that characters can go in either direction, but are never part either extreme.

I also like exploring mental/physical illnesses (especially mental) and critiquing social norms that are constantly expected of people today.

Well, themes in my writing? Hmm...

Well, for my fic, at least, there are themes that are sort of meta, like whether or not the protagonist or antagonist can be believed on certain, or any, pieces of information they present to the reader. Some others would be the creation of false constructs in our minds to keep us functioning, or able to deal with reality, the difficulties in changing ourselves into something we deplore in order to accomplish our goals, whether or not it's okay to force the masses into one belief to create peace.

I particularly like entertaining the idea of moral ambiguity and the idea that there really is no "only good" or "only bad" person in the world. I like to show that characters can go in either direction, but are never part either extreme.

I also like exploring mental/physical illnesses (especially mental) and critiquing social norms that are constantly expected of people today.

One has to love 'grey and gray morality' stories. Sophisticated moral ambiguity is infinitely more fascinating - and realistic! - than moral binaries.

Mental illness and social norms I appreciate not just for being interesting, but because their exploration and study helps better the world. It is morally good for authors to discuss such themes, I think.

Well, themes in my writing? Hmm...

Well, for my fic, at least, there are themes that are sort of meta, like whether or not the protagonist or antagonist can be believed on certain, or any, pieces of information they present to the reader.

The trope you're looking for is 'unreliable narrator', and it is a very good one when handled well.

I generally have a theme regarding the importance of community and friends. Occasionally, I'll also write about the importance of autonomy and independent thought.

unrepetantAuthor said:
Your views are appreciably similar to mine, which I find interesting. I've not met many other existentialists who aren't also extraordinarily morbid, depressed or sociopathic. Those who believe in a morally blank universe often end up being an Agent Smith or a Rorschach. I'd like to discuss this kind of thing in more detail with you at some point, I think, if you'd care to.
Yeah, I feel that same way. And most people who I talk about this with automatically think I am very morbid, depressed and, occasionally, suicidal. But no - I think that the lack of meaning is a freeing concept. It lets me live life without expectations or unnecessary ties, because they're mostly pointless anyway. What matters to me as a human beings are what I feel and sense. I enjoy positive thoughts and experiences, so I constantly seek them in lack of any actual purpose. I feel much happier now than i did seeking for a purpose, or thinking I actually had one.

In my writing though, my characters often end up morbid because of this. They don't always attain this revelation of meaninglessness as something that's freeing, they are crushed under the weight of such a realization. This usually ties in with a psychological theory which I'm extremely fascinated by. I can't for the love of me remember what it's called (already spent an hour replaying my life. I have it in the back of my head now, but nothing more), but generally, it states that most people live life without really thinking about or considering their own existence or their implications at a deeper level; they go with the flow (grow up, study, get a job, settle down, get a wife and kids, retire). Some people however realize that this is not enough; that they need a more aware sense of living. To attain this is described as a five-staged process which includes the deconstruction of one's person, then a reconstruction as a more aware human being. Many fail, though, crushed under the difficulty and weight of actually accomplishing this (as living consciously is actually really hard; I myself constantly feel the temptation of just living life without thinking, it's so easy and doesn't require mental energy - but it's insufficient for me), and only a few attain the last, ultimate stage, in which everything in one's life is a directed, conscious act, in which there is flow and/or purpose. The relevance to the themes I mentioned is of course the implications of the fact that existence is pointless; the fact that a realization of this grade needs a restructuring of one's outlook on life, one's very own person - the deconstruction phase. However, actually attaining a final stage in which you can use this new outlook on life to lead a structured, balanced and conscious life like never before, is very hard, like described. Many cannot see a way to attain it, even less muster the energy to attain it if they knew it. This is where my characters often are - though a few of them tend to go through the final stage and attain this higher level of consciousness.

This entire struggle with living consciously is, I guess, the real running theme behind all this. Overcoming the ennui of realization and consciousness, and directing this into a state of mental flow.

And I would to even further elaborate, feel free to PM me a response if you wish ;)

unrepetantAuthor said:
Another interesting idea, and one I like. However, I'm sure that even if deity-like beings did not care to influence humanity in any particular direction, sentient life, or any biology, is one of the more fascinating aspects of the entire universe, given the predictable lack of subtlety with which physics conducts itself. Have you ever come across the speech by Doctor Manhattan of Watchmen fame about the thermodynamic miracle in comparison to human psychology?
Yes, it is really fascinating. And that's ironic; I find the marvelous thing about the laws physics being how they seem to, in fact, not be predictable (at a quantum level anyway). While classic physics work very well and are extremely orderly, relativity and especially quantum physics offer so many absurd marvels, so many things that seem unexplicably strange. The uncertainty principle of quantum physics, and the wave/particle behaviour of light and energy are such examples. Feynman says it very well:
"Electrons act like waves... no they don't exactly!
They act like particles... no they don't exactly!"
But I see what you are implying though - and I saw that speech just now; Googled it. It's so very true. Through evolution one can also make his same argument for the human race as a whole - it's a miracle what we can do, how we are, and the odds of us ending up here. For that sake, one can look at the laws of physics and conclude that a universe capable of sustaining life is a bloody miracle. There's a thousand miracles in this universe - but none of them are supernatural. Isn't that just... so fantastic? *giggles*
By the way, for a tribute to these miracles, check out a video series called the Symphony of Science; it's a musical tribute to science and the wonders of our existence (with songs such as Ode to the Brain, Evolution - The Greatest Show on Earth, and Science - The Poetry of Reality). It's basically extracts from a lot of prominent physicists, biologists, science communicatiors and whatnot, auto-tuned and made into music. I can't NOT watch it at least once a day x) I recommend you start with the ones mentioned above, as well as The Quantum World and Onward to the Edge.
unrepetantAuthor said:
Obviously I must peruse your fanfiction at the earliest convenient opportunity. This is exactly the sort of thing I love to read, write and discuss.
Heh, you'll have something to look forward to - whenever I get around to posting it that is.

When I'm working on a series project, I tend to have themes, or characters who have thematic journeys. I think it makes the writing more interesting, when you have a deep, underlying theme to connect your work with. A lot of times, I pick personal themes such as antipathy vs empathy, Idealism vs realism, the meaning of honor, truth. I also love exploring stories with a gray vs. gray morality. I hate the idea of a black and white society - life is full of choices, and few things are as simple as good or evil.

Another thing I love to explore is gender and sexuality - I believe both are fluid, and I try and explore this in my writings. In my two current works, one a Nuzlocke story and one a fake!Nuzlocke, I explore a lot of themes. The Nuzlocke has (and will have) a lot of social and political commentary, as well as focusing on death and moving on when you lose the people you love(especially when it's your fault). It's a story that has a lot to do with realizing the world isn't as black and white as you think, and that you shouldn't just hope blindly or lose all hope. It also explores destiny - whether there is such a thing, whether you have to follow through with your destiny, whether free will matters at all. There is racial commentary, discussion and realization of privilege, and learning to be who you are and not who others want you to be.

The second is Lighter and Softer in comparison, but it tackles the ideas of Divine Rights vs. Free Will, whether having power gives you the right to do anything you want, and the privilege of being on top, as well (some) race commentary.

While I have yet to write any fanfiction on the subject, I do tend to incorporate some running themes when I create characters for RPs. The importance of friendship is a particular theme I like to explore. Another would be coping with self-loathing. Still another is the repercussions of impulsiveness. And finally, cliché or not, my personal favorite would be "love conquers all".

Unless it's one of those stories where there's a bad guy who actually wins, in which case, love makes you try your best before you die. Or else the bad guy's love conquers the heroes. Gee, wouldn't that be a twist?

Ugh...trying to build a story around a theme, to me, is like trying to build a house out of fog. "Themes" are just too broad and vague to do anything coherent with, and eventually, your story will break down because the theme can't hold up anymore.

That being said, I believe that every writer has certain tendencies towards themes, consciously or not, in their works. We all write for a reason, though we may not know what it is or even be aware that we have a reason. There is one fundamental question that we all try to answer through writing, and it shows and comes out in every single piece of writing we do. It's always the same question, too. The difference is that this is unconscious, not forced, and something I think that should never be forced. If you've managed to figure out your question, it's a good thing to keep in mind, but it will never be necessary to force the topic, because your own individual style will bring it about in ways you could never do if you were thinking about it.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom