• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Did that cost 400 pokemon? A movement of 0.5 seconds on a Machoke costed 400 pokemon? If they want to animate pokemon properly they can cut 800 pokemon and I would be ok (unless the remaining are all gen 1) but that's not animating pokemon. That's what they did till gen 4, barely change the aprite animation to look different from a game to another. We are in 2019, Pokemon is in 3d and you cannot add a 0.5 seconds movement to a pokemon and pretend now that pokemon is properly animated.
Really depends on how many pokemon actually got unique animations, and even then I think got changes when the use certain moves, and they have done this before. I.E. look at Mega Swampert. It has a unique animation when it uses Earthquake. And Scorbunny has it's own animation when using Flame Charge.

Is it that hard for them to do a patch?

New games are far more profitable. They're probably allergic to the idea of free patches.

Plenty of titles got free patches. Mario O got some, Splatoon 2 got a ton, Smash gets it and Kirby gets it and Mario Tennis got it and I'm sure I could dig up other examples if I wanted to.

Plenty of titles got free patches. Mario O got some, Splatoon 2 got a ton, Smash gets it and Kirby gets it and Mario Tennis got it and I'm sure I could dig up other examples if I wanted to.
Yes, but this is Game Freak we're talking about. The developer who would rather release paired third versions over releasing a patch or DLC.

Expect Pokemon SharpSword and ShinyShield at some point where they'll include like...200 more Pokemon.

Really depends on how many pokemon actually got unique animations, and even then I think got changes when the use certain moves, and they have done this before. I.E. look at Mega Swampert. It has a unique animation when it uses Earthquake. And Scorbunny has it's own animation when using Flame Charge.
You are telling me that to give some pokemon (not even all of them) one more animation they cut off half of the pokedex? Then why didn't we get just 50 pokemon in x and y? They had to create 700 3d models + all the pokemon animations back then...Now they had the models and they had the animations, so what exactly changed that made it so difficult to create, I don't know, let's say 100 new animations?

Is it that hard for them to do a patch?
for SwSh? probably not challenging. but the reality of the situation is that they're simply ripping off the bandaid now rather than later (ie., cutting pokemon before it's too overwhelming).
Expect Pokemon SharpSword and ShinyShield at some point where they'll include like...200 more Pokemon.
i wouldn't expect it tbh. between the PR for USUM and their more recent statements, it sounds like they'd rather just do a main series game and a remake every so often rather than crank them out like they have. GF is probably moving towards a more "GaaS" model.

He already stated he'll talk about Home at a later date. Guess people missed that due to blind rage.
What do you want people to say about it, exactly? People can't respond to comments that Masuda hasn't made yet. People are responding to the statements that he just made, which don't mention Home at all.

I recently found the screencap about Lillie, and they did say that it was done for every character, so we at least have an answer on that one.
imgur said:
"Literally every single area in the game has a file containing the models used in that area...."
Okay, that corroborates my idea of it being a toolchain problem. In fact, it's starting to sound EXACTLY like example #3 I gave earlier.
So for Warzone 2100 back in the PS1 days, every time you started a level it loaded that level's main script, which among other things specified a list of resource files (known as "WRF"s) to load; in turn, each WRF contained a list of which assets to actually load (3D models, texture files, audio, etc.). However, due to the simple nature of the game's package compiler, any asset listed in multiple WRFs would get compiled into the package multiple times. This was simultaneously invisible when looking at pre-compiled files and folders, and immediately apparent when reverse-engineering/datamining the compiled package.

I don't really see why "not noticed" would be the same as "not a problem"? Just because something's not noticed at first doesn't mean it's not something that could be fixed. And realizing that they're referring to multiple models is as simple as just looking at what assets they're referring to.
Only if they are reviewing the assets as they appear in the final compiled package (i.e. as the fan dataminers did). The funny thing about compiler toolchains is that once it's working, basically nobody subjects the compiled result to a review. So if the compiler has a small flaw (like compiling the same source asset duplicitously) this is literally invisible if all you do is review the source files at the project level.

I can't think of a great analogy, but imagine you're talking to a friend over the phone and they say your voice has a weird echo. If it's their phone that's causing it (and your phone is fine) then having your phone play back the call is completely missing the point.

There's still one thing I've seen no answer for- if they coded in the Pokemon for SwSh, why remove that roster from the next games in favour of the new one? Why not have the SwSh Galar Dex Pokemon compatible with the Eternal Diamond and Infinite Pearl games even if they’re not in the Dex? It’s not as if every Switch game will have a new art style.

Continuing this policy beyond SwSh feels even more absurd to me.
One word: "accretion" (or in simpler terms, clutter). The Pokedex grows invariably 'heavier' with each generation -- it's not just animations and sound effects, but movesets, power creep, legality checks (No Guard Fissure Machamp anyone?), which grows continuously more complicated with each new expansion. Eventually something has to yield. It's like when Sakurai mentioned how every new character in Smash Bros. needs (among other things) a corresponding Kirby hat; it's part of the reason why trading-card games rotate what cards are allowed in which formats.

...Actually, fighting game sequels in general is a genius comparison. Everybody wants to see their favorite characters return in the sequel, plus a mix of interesting new characters, but how often does it actually happen? How large can a fighting game roster get before the fighters start feeling samey and the character-select screen becomes a huge, unmanageable mess?

...Heck, let's compare massive fictional universes like Star Wars just for the sake of it. How many things can they allow in the setting without unnecessarily burdening the next canon-defining installments?

Last edited:
What do you want people to say about it, exactly? People can't respond to comments that Masuda hasn't made yet. People are responding to the statements that he just made, which don't mention Home at all.
I wan't people to say nothing since he hasn't said anything yet. I'm pretty sure it's more than possible to save judgment than take everything face value

I wan't people to say nothing since he hasn't said anything yet. I'm pretty sure it's more than possible to save judgment than take everything face value
But he did say something. He made a statement on the official site. Why shouldn't people be allowed to comment on that? And why should people be saving judgement after two directs, E3 gameplay, and several official statements? Aren't people allowed to draw conclusions based on the information they have at hand?

But he did say something. He made a statement on the official site. Why shouldn't people be allowed to comment on that? And why should people be saving judgement after two directs, E3 gameplay, and several official statements? Aren't people allowed to draw conclusions based on the information they have at hand?
We're talking about Home.

We're talking about Home.
No, we're not. There's been two instances of people talking about Home here:
  • Silktree saying that Home will likely be used to transfer to future remakes, instead of SwSh being compatible with them
  • Pax Unda asking "Why not just explain what else Home does?" They never made any judgments about Home, they just asked why it wasn't brought up.
Nobody's made any other comment about Home since Masuda's statement.

power creep
For this particular one, this is brought upon by GameFreak themselves.
You'll never convince me GameFreak cares about it. They’re the same people who released Mega Mewtwos, Primal Groudon/Kyogre and Mega Rayquaza, and Ultra Necrozma 3 games in a row.

Their sense of balance also involves giving every good move ever to Landorus, and releasing a game with no way of removing Stealth Rocks.

If people bought a game like Smash or Splatoon for 60 bucks, I doubt pokemon will be much different.
They never did a quality downgrade with an actual price upgrade to my knowledge.
You get objectively more content in USUM than LGPE, and it’s 20 bucks cheaper. Boot up Citra, and boom! You got a game better than LGPE!

I find it a bit funny that you brought Smash into this when their last game had the tag line "Everyone's here."

No, we're not. There's been two instances of people talking about Home here:
  • Silktree saying that Home will likely be used to transfer to future remakes, instead of SwSh being compatible with them
  • Pax Unda asking "Why not just explain what else Home does?" They never made any judgments about Home, they just asked why it wasn't brought up.
Nobody's made any other comment about Home since Masuda's statement.
The sentence you qutoed from me was literally talking about how Masuda was planning on talking about Home at a later date.

The sentence you qutoed from me was literally talking about how Masuda was planning on talking about Home at a later date.
Yes, and you were complaining that people "weren't holding off on judgements", and "taking things at face value". But nobody had done anything like that for Home.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom