• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Now that is interesting isn't it? It only being mentioned internationally and not Japan.....

....Why do I feel like this could be an argument about 'Pokemon only cares about Japanese audiences'.

Now that is interesting isn't it? It only being mentioned internationally and not Japan.....

....Why do I feel like this could be an argument about 'Pokemon only cares about Japanese audiences'.
Well, I don't think this is true. Imo, they actually think the real protest is from the rest of the world and not really from Japan, so they probably want to keep the backlash away from their own country and social media.

Even if Game Freak wants to branch out, doing a big project with a limited group of people shouldn't be a thing in the game industry in the first place.

Even if Game Freak wants to branch out, doing a big project with a limited group of people shouldn't be a thing in the game industry in the first place.
If I remember correctly, it took 40 people to make Xenoblade Chronicles 2 somebody told. Number don't really matter interms of a games quality. So if it it took everybody to make a game like Sun and Moon, and even less people game a game already bigger and broader than those games, I say their fine.

They said it themselves.
What they said is priority is going into Project Gear, which is a project that involves staff working on different games, including pokemon, and platforms so the staff can gain more experience, both Team 1 and 2 are even said to go back and forth, share notes and such. So it's not likt they think pokemon's improtant, rather this idea can potentially help improve future titles with more console experience under the belt. Not to mention they say staff switch around as well, meaning deves on past titles probably will if not already are having their own part in games. Now that I think about it, the Gear in gear project makes sense. Keepin the gears turning making progress.

If I remember correctly, it took 40 people to make Xenoblade Chronicles 2 somebody told. Number don't really matter interms of a games quality. So if it it took everybody to make a game like Sun and Moon, and even less people game a game already bigger and broader than those games, I say their fine.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2/credits

This looks like way more than 40. And even if it was just forty, I don't think it'd be a great example. A small group of people could still make a good game, but I'd prefer they not have to deal with heavy workloads while they do it.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2/credits

This looks like way more than 40. And even if it was just forty, I don't think it'd be a great example. A small group of people could still make a good game, but I'd prefer they not have to deal with heavy workloads while they do it.
Only 40 Developers Worked On Xenoblade Chronicles 2 | NintendoSoup

If they can handle it, then it's fine. Especially if it took all 100+ to work on Sun and Moon, and even less were able to pull off a game like this one their own, I'd say how many number don't matter. If anything I'm starting to think the reasons over 100 members worked on the games was cause they had nothing else to do till now.

40 developers. Not 40 people.
If they can handle it, then it's fine.
A finished product doesn't mean that the people who worked on it were always treated fairly.
Especially if it took all 100+ to work on Sun and Moon, and even less were able to pull off a game like this one their own, I'd say how many number don't matter.
Kind of a weird argument to make after how you've been arguing that people have been overreacting to the dex removal.

40 developers. Not 40 people.

A finished product doesn't mean that the people who worked on it were always treated fairly.

Kind of a weird argument to make after how you've been arguing that people have been overreacting to the dex removal.
Actually it does, read the article mate. It literally says number of people

If it was that big of a problem more people would've been put into. Especially gamefreak who seem to treat staff fairly, so I doubt they're overworking anybody.

Oh I still believe that. While I understand where they're coming from I do think many have turned what used to be criticism to full on hatred. If my argument seems weird, I have been going around searching for more perspective

Actually it does, read the article mate. It literally says number of people

ONLY 40 DEVELOPERS WORKED ON XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2
Tetsuya Takahashi revealed that Monolith Soft’s Tokyo studio is home to around 100 developers.
40 developers worked on Xenoblade Chronicles 2

And if the point of the article really is "only 40 people", then NintendoSoup is flat-out lying, because you can find the credits displayed in-game right here, clearly showing more than 40.
If it was that big of a problem more people would've been put into.
Uhh...
Work weeks in the game industry can stretch to as long as 100 hours during what are known as crunch periods — in which entire studios race to meet crucial deadlines — sometimes with no overtime or time-off compensation and often with little to no regard for employees’ long-term well-being.
Game developers look to unions to fix the industry’s exploitative workplace culture

A 2015 survey conducted by the International Game Developers' Association (IGDA) found that 62 percent of developers said their jobs involved crunch. Of those, nearly one-third said crunch meant 50-59 hours of work a week; another third said 60-69 hours; and just under a quarter admitted to crunching more than 70 hours a week – the highest bracket accounted for. My personal conversations with numerous developers indicate that 100-hour working weeks are not unheard of.

For comparison, the legal definition of a full-time working week in the United States, where the vast majority of survey respondents live, is 40 hours.
Crunch: The Video Game Industry's Notorious Labor Problem

The Horrible World Of Video Game Crunch

Employers won't hire more people if they can just get more work out of who they have.
Especially gamefreak who seem to treat staff fairly, so I doubt they're overworking anybody.
I never suggested they were, I'm just saying that it's unreasonable to expect a video game with only 40 people working on it.
Oh I still believe that. While I understand where they're coming from I do think many have turned what used to be criticism to full on hatred. If my argument seems weird, I have been going around searching for more perspective
I was talking more about earlier comments about the complaints that didn't talk about the criticism, but if your perspective's changed since then, I won't push it.

And if the point of the article really is "only 40 people", then NintendoSoup is flat-out lying, because you can find the credits displayed in-game right here, clearly showing more than 40.

Uhh...

Game developers look to unions to fix the industry’s exploitative workplace culture

Crunch: The Video Game Industry's Notorious Labor Problem

The Horrible World Of Video Game Crunch

Employers won't hire more people if they can just get more work out of who they have.

I never suggested they were, I'm just saying that it's unreasonable to expect a video game with only 40 people working on it.

I was talking more about earlier comments about the complaints that didn't talk about the criticism, but if your perspective's changed since then, I won't push it.
Still if you don't believe me, here's the actual interview 「ゼノブレイド」高橋哲哉 ×「ペルソナ」橋野桂:対談──作家性とは何か? 世界で評価されるJRPGの旗手が掲げる美学をめぐって

"Monolith Tokyo is about 100 people for development. Of those, 50% to 60% were helping Nintendo's Zelda. Among the 40 to 50 people, a few feel like R & D, and the remaining 40 people are the staff of "Xenoblade 2" . "

The names in the credits you saw were probably people outside who helped pitch in something, but according to them, only 40 worked on this whole game

But yes, overworking staff is pretty much the norm in the gaming industry, bust numbers are set up for enoguh people who do the job. And while adding numbers is nice and help take the load off, I can understand throwing every number in there isn't always necessary when you have specific number that can handle fine.

Still if you don't believe me, here's the actual interview 「ゼノブレイド」高橋哲哉 ×「ペルソナ」橋野桂:対談──作家性とは何か? 世界で評価されるJRPGの旗手が掲げる美学をめぐって

"Monolith Tokyo is about 100 people for development. Of those, 50% to 60% were helping Nintendo's Zelda. Among the 40 to 50 people, a few feel like R & D, and the remaining 40 people are the staff of "Xenoblade 2" . "

The names in the credits you saw were probably people outside who helped pitch in something, but according to them, only 40 worked on this whole game
According to them, all those people credited worked on the game. That's why they're in the credits for the game. Are you really going to base your argument around a translation that also says "a few developers feel like R&D"? Don't you think it could just as easily mean "the remaining 40 were the development staff of Xenoblade"?

And even if they claimed it was only 40 people that were technically on staff, the credits clearly show that it was not just the work of 40 people.
But yes, overworking staff is pretty much the norm in the gaming industry, bust numbers are set up for enoguh people who do the job. And while adding numbers is nice and help take the load off, I can understand throwing every number in there isn't always necessary when you have specific number that can handle fine.
They're not handling it fine. That's the problem.

According to them, all those people credited worked on the game. That's why they're in the credits for the game. Are you really going to base your argument around a translation that also says "a few developers feel like R&D"? Don't you think it could just as easily mean "the remaining 40 were the development staff of Xenoblade"?

And even if they claimed it was only 40 people that were technically on staff, the credits clearly show that it was not just the work of 40 people.

They're not handling it fine. That's the problem.
I know game development is difficult, but again overworking is the norm even without deadlines. Many in the industry or just independents want to put as much work into the game to the point they barely sleep. Not healthy I know, but it's also a symbol of how much work they put in. Honestly if you want to get into the game industry you gotta be prepared for all nighters.

I know game development is difficult, but again overworking is the norm even without deadlines. Many in the industry or just independents want to put as much work into the game to the point they barely sleep. Not healthy I know, but it's also a symbol of how much work they put in. Honestly if you want to get into the game industry you gotta be prepared for all nighters.
Nobody wants to work this much, they're being forced to in order to make deadlines. Even if somebody was somehow so dedicated that game development was the only thing they wanted to do, they wouldn't want to deal with sleep deprivation, because it'd interfere with their work. And accepting it as "just part of the game industry" is ignoring the fact that this can and should be changed for the better.

Nobody wants to work this much, they're being forced to in order to make deadlines. Even if somebody was somehow so dedicated that game development was the only thing they wanted to do, they wouldn't want to deal with sleep deprivation, because it'd interfere with their work. And accepting it as "just part of the game industry" is ignoring the fact that this can and should be changed for the better.
As an aspiring animator and comic artist, this is what I'm expecting in life. I recommend looking up and watching an anime that inspired me called Bakuman. It basically shows you the process and work that goes into creating Manga, and it...is...grueling. But the product that usually come out after all that it what makes it worth, even though they aren't guaranteed successes. And it's the same for game developers. And outside some people will think it's cruel treatment, and for some companies yes it cruel and unfair treatment many I'm sure actually can die from stress, but more often than not this is what many developers expect and prepare for. You say people don't want to work that hard, even so, they're ready too.

As an aspiring animator and comic artist, this is what I'm expecting in life. I recommend looking up and watching an anime that inspired me called Bakuman. It basically shows you the process and work that goes into creating Manga, and it...is...grueling. But the product that usually come out after all that it what makes it worth, even though they aren't guaranteed successes. And it's the same for game developers. And outside some people will think it's cruel treatment, and for some companies yes it cruel and unfair treatment many I'm sure actually can die from stress, but more often than not this is what many developers expect and prepare for. You say people don't want to work that hard, even so, they're ready too.
You shouldn't expect it, and people shouldn't be put through it. I recommend looking up webcomics, fangames, and indie developers, people who create art and are still able to take time off when their health requires it. The only reason why people are being overworked is because their employers are calling for crunch time. And that's not acceptable.

You shouldn't expect it, and people shouldn't be put through it. I recommend looking up webcomics, fangames, and indie developers, people who create art and are still able to take time off when their health requires it. The only reason why people are being overworked is because their employers are calling for crunch time. And that's not acceptable.
I can only tell you this is how it works. While some companies do make people work like dogs, many also live with and accept the work that comes with it. Japan probably has it the worst though.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom