• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Is it really a bootleg game? The mobile market in China is huge, so I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese company developed a mobile Pokemon game exclusively for the Chinese market. China has entire MMOs on mobile. This game seems too polished to be a bootleg. I could be wrong, of course, but I wanted to bring up this possibility.
Well, since the game is not listed anywhere around the other Pokémon games, I think it is really a bootleg.

Is it really a bootleg game? The mobile market in China is huge, so I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese company developed a mobile Pokemon game exclusively for the Chinese market. China has entire MMOs on mobile. This game seems too polished to be a bootleg. I could be wrong, of course, but I wanted to bring up this possibility.
Wouldn't It be absurd anyway? That pokemon games that are not somehow under TPCi have better animations than Pokemon games?

I would think it’s still licensed under TPCi, but it’s exclusive to China. Anyway, I’m not really trying to argue. I just wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a legal game and not a bootleg. But whatever it is, I do agree that it’s absurd to see that game have better animations than SWSH. :confused:
Oh, I thought you meant not under TPCi with "exclusive to china", which now that I think of is not possible, because you cannot use pokemon without involving tpci. So yeah, It should be a bootleg or a tpci game for sure. Don't really know, I just discovered about its existence a couple of hours ago, I saw "bootleg game" everywhere and I assumed that was its nature.

Mewtwo's move is apparently from a Dragon Ball game. That doesn't really matter because the point is that Pokemon animations could look a lot better. I would sacrifice a ton of unpopular moves for that, and I wouldn't mind a gradual implementation of all the Pokemon. But that isn't the case with SwSh.

So I looked up some more videos of this bootleg mobile game out of curiosity and there is an overworld where you can move around and have Pokemon follow you. I don't know if it's a single area or one of many and I'm not trying to compare to Galar, but I thought it's... interesting, I guess? I just wanted to share it, that's all.

You can see some of it at 01:15 and a few other parts throughout the video.

For the record, I'm not hating on Game Freak or anything of that sort, but seeing this bootleg's animations just made me think of how much better Pokemon could be.

Perhaps Game Freak should outsource some of their animations to this company? They seem pretty qualified for that.

Perhaps Game Freak should outsource some of their animations to this company? They seem pretty qualified for that.
I dunno if I'd call stealing assets from other games qualified...

That aside, moves could look better for sure. On the other hand, a complaint I saw somewhere was comparing Yamper's Tail Whip in SwSh to Flareon's Tail Whip in I think Colosseum and while yes, the latter is definitely less static, it als had less Pokemon and moves to animate? And that's not even necessarily an excuse, but it's also freakin Tail Whip, one of those moves you've usually replaced by lvl 10

I dunno if I'd call stealing assets from other games qualified...
I'm not defending that part by any means. I was just talking purely about the company's skillset.

That aside, moves could look better for sure. On the other hand, a complaint I saw somewhere was comparing Yamper's Tail Whip in SwSh to Flareon's Tail Whip in I think Colosseum and while yes, the latter is definitely less static, it als had less Pokemon and moves to animate? And that's not even necessarily an excuse, but it's also freakin Tail Whip, one of those moves you've usually replaced by lvl 10
I can see both sides of the argument when it comes to animating moves. While I don't mind the non-realistic depictions of the moves, I do think that tail based moves should show wagging the Pokémon's tail, kicking moves should show the Pokémon moving their feet, Blastoise using its cannons rather than its mouth, etc. I'm not asking for a realistic depiction of these moves; I just want the Pokémon to make the appropriate movements for attacks rather than just the very generic "1 special move animation + 1 physical move animation + optional animations for very specific moves" formula currently in place.

We need distinctions between the kind of moves a Pokémon is doing reflected in the model's movement. Game Freak should be prioritizing that or at least announce a patch that'll add these in once they get them fully polished if they can't get them finished on time.

I'm not defending that part by any means. I was just talking purely about the company's skillset.
Oh no, I got that part. I'm simply doubting the skills of a company that doesn't create their own assets

lp-0
I can see both sides of the argument when it comes to animating moves. While I don't mind the non-realistic depictions of the moves, I do think that tail based moves should show wagging the Pokémon's tail, kicking moves should show the Pokémon moving their feet, Blastoise using its cannons rather than its mouth, etc. I'm not asking for a realistic depiction of these moves; I just want the Pokémon to make the appropriate movements for attacks rather than just the very generic "1 special move animation + 1 physical move animation + optional animations for very specific moves" formula currently in place.

We need distinctions between the kind of moves a Pokémon is doing reflected in the model's movement. Game Freak should be prioritizing that or at least announce a patch that'll add these in once they get them fully polished if they can't get them finished on time.
Sure, pokemon wagging their tail should be possible, considering we've already seen that in overworld/refresh models. I get what you're saying for sure, but I'd rather have them stay generic with 'useless' moves and focus on the most used and unique moves first. If they've got time and resources left after that, sure (though who am I kidding)

Funny that people are showing a bootleg game to Pokemon's Twitter to make them look bad, when it's only going to that much more quickly make TPCi send a cease & desist (or a lawsuit) to whoever made that bootleg.

Which would have happened eventually. But now it'll happen a lot sooner.

Pokémon Uranium 2: Electric Boogaloo

Looking into that Bootleg, it seems the mons are locked into two attacks only.

Yeah I pointed this out earlier, it's easier to give unique animations when there's only 1 or 2 move those are attached to it. What people seems to want is a unique animation for literally every move they know, and honestly that is ridiculous at this point, cause that alone passes the thousands of animations to work on, and probably would take more time than necessary when they can just work on the actual game. So honestly, maybe the 1-2 move mentality probably is the best route, and I believe it could be the case thanks to Scorbunny's Flame Charge, and other expample from other pokemon in the past.

It's the old Good/Fast/Cheap dilemma. You can pick two:

- More Pokémon (=more lovable creatures and teambuilding options)

- More moves (=more strategies and deeper complexity in battles)

- More animations (=more customized and immersive visuals)

Then in that case more pokemon and more moves is probably best for the franchise for now, and I think it's what people were content with till...you know...happened. So people want a massive trade off in turn

Personally if I could have 2 out of 3 I’d forget the later but I’m a “Gen 1er” we made do.

Personally if I could have 2 out of 3 I’d forget the later but I’m a “Gen 1er” we made do.

Truth be told, I myself would likely choose to cut down on moves, but I only enjoy battles casually to begin with and have little interest in competitive strategies. Everyone's got their own priorities, of course. :p

Actually, I think they probably should cut down on some of the moves anyway, even if it's not to such an extent that it would free up enough time to give each Pokémon more bespoke animations for each move. There's just quite a bit of accretion and redundancy in the overall movepool as it stands. Why do we have both Tail Whip and Leer?

Truth be told, I myself would likely choose to cut down on moves, but I only enjoy battles casually to begin with and have little interest in competitive strategies. Everyone's got their own priorities, of course. :p

Actually, I think they probably should cut down on some of the moves anyway, even if it's not to such an extent that it would free up enough time to give each Pokémon more bespoke animations for each move. There's just quite a bit of accretion and redundancy in the overall movepool as it stands. Why do we have both Tail Whip and Leer?

I’d agree here we don’t need a lot of the early filler moves. I think it was away to make you feel like you were progressing in the early gens when you mostly learned one good move every 10 levels.

I’d like to get into competitive battling but it just too ignorant of a lot of it. Having lived my high school years in a place with no internet I could only battle my siblings. Wish someome would teach me EVs/IVs etc watching guides just doesn’t help.

Anyway I think cutting down on move selection would kill the comp scene. Regardless of you or I playing it it’s a big draw from I’d say half of the community, Cannot afford to alienate them.

And with me, I usually just turn off animations (usually when I'm grinding). Animations aren't something I generally care about either, unless of course they're used as an excuse.

i feel like redundancy is a little harder to measure than people think. like, why do we have Tail Whip and Leer? because some pokemon it would be thematically more appropriate to Leer and others it would be more thematically appropriate to Tail Whip. there aren't too many "same move, different name" in the game. sure there's definitely a few Tail Whip-Leers, but there aren't any real redundant moves like Flamethrower and a hypothetical Flamelauncher (which are the same). that being said, i do think there are a fair few moves that are in there, like Mega Kick/Punch, that aren't even good 'intermediate' moves because they're learned by so few and there are also some moves that are just bad simply because their distribution is wonky (see: Vacuum Wave).

i feel like on the whole Game Freak's newfound obsession with signature moves is the overall bigger problem.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom