• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Signature moves have been a thing since Gen 1 though.
you're absolutely correct! however, as of Gen 6 and 7, and especially in 7, Game Freak has really been going in on giving every new pokemon a signature move or signature ability (iirc, literally every new Alolan pokemon has at least one of those two).

i feel like redundancy is a little harder to measure than people think. like, why do we have Tail Whip and Leer? because some pokemon it would be thematically more appropriate to Leer and others it would be more thematically appropriate to Tail Whip. there aren't too many "same move, different name" in the game. sure there's definitely a few Tail Whip-Leers, but there aren't any real redundant moves like Flamethrower and a hypothetical Flamelauncher (which are the same). that being said, i do think there are a fair few moves that are in there, like Mega Kick/Punch, that aren't even good 'intermediate' moves because they're learned by so few and there are also some moves that are just bad simply because their distribution is wonky (see: Vacuum Wave).

i feel like on the whole Game Freak's newfound obsession with signature moves is the overall bigger problem.

That is true, though in my defense, I only said Tail Whip and Leer because it was the first pair that came to mind. :p Although, while Tail Whip might indeed make more thematic sense for certain Pokémon, most Pokémon do have eyes whereas not all Pokémon have tails, so I think they probably could get away with just having Leer - after all, it's not as if every move in a Pokémon repertoire always makes total sense.

But yes, the amount of rubbish moves that nobody ever realistically uses is another good point. And blimey, I'd forgotten how many signature things Gen 7 added. On the one hand, I do understand the desire to give that Pokémon a special niche or to express something unique about it, but on the other hand, Zing Zap is only learned by Togedemaru, and yet there are other physical Electric attacks that would work just fine; Zing Zap isn't that much more illustrative of character than, say, Spark or Volt Switch, whereas Nuzzle is at least a move that's shared by all of the electrodents and illustrates their common trait of having electric cheek sacs. Meanwhile, Togedemaru's abilities are all preexisting ones, but all three of them still manage to communicate something about its physiology.

That is true, though in my defense, I only said Tail Whip and Leer because it was the first pair that came to mind. :p Although, while Tail Whip might indeed make more thematic sense for certain Pokémon, most Pokémon do have eyes whereas not all Pokémon have tails, so I think they probably could get away with just having Leer - after all, it's not as if every move in a Pokémon repertoire always makes total sense.

But yes, the amount of rubbish moves that nobody ever realistically uses is another good point. And blimey, I'd forgotten how many signature things Gen 7 added. On the one hand, I do understand the desire to give that Pokémon a special niche or to express something unique about it, but on the other hand, Zing Zap is only learned by Togedemaru, and yet there are other physical Electric attacks that would work just fine; Zing Zap isn't that much more illustrative of character than, say, Spark or Volt Switch, whereas Nuzzle is at least a move that's shared by all of the electrodents and illustrates their common trait of having electric cheek sacs. Meanwhile, Togedemaru's abilities are all preexisting ones, but all three of them still manage to communicate something about its physiology.
oh definitely. Leer and Tail Whip aren't the best examples, but you're right that there's definitely some examples of sort of "flavor" differences that don't even really need to exist.

the Zing Zap and Nuzzle distinction you make is a really good example. Zing Zap definitely doesn't "feel good" because it just feels like a generic re-skin, whereas Nuzzle although more widely distributed at least communicates something interesting.

I think everyone can learn from Dexit.
GF and Nintendo need to restructure the releases to give the series room to actually breathe.
While certain fans and Poketubers can learn that they don't need a game every year and stop making pseudo hype trains over something that doesn't exist.

I think everyone can learn from Dexit.
GF and Nintendo need to restructure the releases to give the series room to actually breathe.
While certain fans and Poketubers can learn that they don't need a game every year and stop making pseudo hype trains over something that doesn't exist.
Well then the anime depart need to extend the series schedule in that case as well as the TCG need to plan out new packs

Can't we just have no evil at all? And not sacrifice the quality of one thing for another?
Well, you can ask Game Freak to add all Pokemon in a game with annual releases, but I didn't think that was really something you were advocating for...

Well, what's your solution?
Would you be mad if I asked we could just adjust?

Well, you can ask Game Freak to add all Pokemon in a game with annual releases, but I didn't think that was really something you were advocating for...
Honestly if they made such a decision like after 20 something years of doing so, and even admitting they were capable of doing so for Sun and Moon before the news dropped, I would think they'd have their own personal reasons for making a decision so huge, especially for one that gave them backlash before. And since I doubt they're scammers, I think they must have a viable decision to reach this point. Call me a GF defender or whatever but I trust they have their reasons, even if it leads to something we're not happy about.

Would you be mad if I asked we could just adjust?
Adjust to a lack of quality, which is what you were just saying we shouldn't have.
I would think they'd have their own personal reasons for making a decision so huge, especially for one that gave them backlash before.
"Personal decisions" don't really work when you're trying to sell a product to consumers.
I think they must have a viable decision to reach this point.
Well, there's still none turning up, and not everyone is content to just take someone at their word.
even if it leads to something we're not happy about.
So why'd you bring up the idea of "no evil at all"?

Adjust to a lack of quality, which is what you were just saying we shouldn't have.

"Personal decisions" don't really work when you're trying to sell a product to consumers.

Well, there's still none turning up, and not everyone is content to just take someone at their word.

So why'd you bring up the idea of "no evil at all"?
I still don't know where people get the idea that pokemon you transfer in determines the overall quality of a game, especially since it's a feature you mostly focus on when the game's over

Now I understand many don't like to hear about any flaw in any game especially when it could determine what make people spend their money on it. But I think it's important in the long run to question if a flaw also effects yo as greatly as you think it does. For the collecters, is it that crucial that every pokemon you have needs to be in the same PC, for battlers do you absolutely need the same pokemon to battle with every new game, or for the sentimental players, do you need a new game just to keep that special pokemon around. I don't know maybe I'm losing my own point here. But when many other games have had time where not every roster is kept, yet doesn't effect the overall quality of the game, try to keep the same mindset with pokemon is what I recommend. Judge the quality of the overall game itself rather than for what you put in it. Use that for one flaw if you must.

I meant by lowering the quality of another property for sake of boosting another.

I still don't know where people get the idea that pokemon you transfer in determines the overall quality of a game, especially since it's a feature you mostly focus on when the game's over
Because it's content and characters that you can use being removed?

For the collecters, is it that crucial that every pokemon you have needs to be in the same PC,
When the alternative is never getting a complete collection outside of a storage app?
for battlers do you absolutely need the same pokemon to battle with every new game
When the alternative is not getting to use a team you've built ever again?
or for the sentimental players, do you need a new game just to keep that special pokemon around.
When the alternative is just endless repeats of the Alolan E4?

Also, consider-you're asking that people give up the ways they play Pokemon so that we can continue to have annual releases-just so that the anime doesn't have to do filler arcs? Instead of asking people to give up what they want from Pokemon games, why not entertain the idea of just accepting filler episodes that you don't want to watch? Or even a hiatus? Plenty of franchises whose shows are their only products go on hiatus all the time.
I meant by lowering the quality of another property for sake of boosting another.
Isn't the reverse still true? You're suggesting that TPC should remove Pokemon from the games for the sake of keeping the anime from dealing with filler.

Because it's content and characters that you can use being removed?

When the alternative is never getting a complete collection outside of a storage app?

When the alternative is not getting to use a team you've built ever again?

When the alternative is just endless repeats of the Alolan E4?

Again pokemon you transfer in are not what determines the quality of the overall game, it's nicce to have sure, but it's not the main reason you buy a pokemon otherwise you're just ignore a whole game. Heck think of brand new players that buy these and have no pokemon to transfer, what do you think they'll judge the game more on, on the pokemon they can't catch or transfer, or just the overall experience? Now personally I think it's important to actually more important to actually have a place for your pokemon then nowhere at all, so as long as they have a place to keep them everything should be fine. for collectors and battlers alike. So that's why I think it's important to not hinge enjoyment over stuff you can't put in, cause it's not like you lost em forever, and it's not like you need them at all times for a better experience.

Also, consider-you're asking that people give up the ways they play Pokemon so that we can continue to have annual releases-just so that the anime doesn't have to do filler arcs? Instead of asking people to give up what they want from Pokemon games, why not entertain the idea of just accepting filler episodes that you don't want to watch? Or even a hiatus? Plenty of franchises whose shows are their only products go on hiatus all the time.

Isn't the reverse still true? You're suggesting that TPC should remove Pokemon from the games for the sake of keeping the anime from dealing with filler.

I'm not asking or suggesting that people give up how they play, they can try to adjust for when things change. Pokemon's not bound to be the same forever for better or worse. And it's important to learn how we take said change. And I'm not saying they SHOULD remove pokemon, but if they do, it's important we learn how to adapt to that, and learn how to enjoy what we have on hand in that case.

Again pokemon you transfer in are not what determines the quality of the overall game,
Doesn't mean they're not a contributing factor.

Heck think of brand new players that buy these and have no pokemon to transfer, what do you think they'll judge the game more on, on the pokemon they can't catch or transfer, or just the overall experience?
"They don't know that they're missing out on some Pokemon" is hardly a great positive.

Now personally I think it's important to actually more important to actually have a place for your pokemon then nowhere at all, so as long as they have a place to keep them everything should be fine. for collectors and battlers alike.
And what about the actual battling that battlers enjoy?

So that's why I think it's important to not hinge enjoyment over stuff you can't put in
Except it's very much something that could be put in.

I'm not asking or suggesting that people give up how they play
So what's this, then?
For the collecters, is it that crucial that every pokemon you have needs to be in the same PC, for battlers do you absolutely need the same pokemon to battle with every new game, or for the sentimental players, do you need a new game just to keep that special pokemon around?
they can try to adjust for when things change
And that adjustment comes from...not playing the same was as they did before. So, giving up that playstyle.
And I'm not saying they SHOULD remove pokemon,
But you did say that missing annual releases would be worse.
Well then the anime depart need to extend the series schedule in that case as well as the TCG need to plan out new packs
Personally I wouldn't like that cause during then everything seemed to drag the anime longer than it should. I doubt people would want more filler seasons or episodes.
if they do, it's important we learn how to adapt to that, and learn how to enjoy what we have on hand in that case.
Then why not take this attitude towards the idea of longer breaks between games, or filler anime episodes? Why is it that the only people who have to learn to adapt are the people who disagree with you?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom