• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Kinda wish we found this sooner, would clear some heads on that matter. And even if they said they put priority into the project, I doubt it's that much more focus in that case.

Also Fun Fact: It took at least 215 staff members (Not including Voice cast and special thanks) and around 3 years to make Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:
Mario Odyssey also reused a lot of assets. The dog wearing the hat is actually from Nintendogs, and that's just one example.

I'm afraid that Google Translate or equivalent services can't help here. I looked up the word in question and it is indeed used for 3D models, rather than "choices" (from scratch?).

I don't care if Ohmori lied or we silly gaijins (non-Japanese) can't comprehend his words. The alleged claim doesn't make sense. (But those who play devil's advocate would claim that LGPE shared their engine with SM, while SwSh don't. What that has to with the models is beyond me.)

Agreed Japanese’s words change depending on the context and it’s also just a completely unrelated language to English. It’s not like French or German etc Google can do a not great but passable job as the sentence structure and vocabulary are very similar.

I get really annoyed seeing these mistranslations especially when people reply with well Google said so. I know for a fact some of the translations are Japanese people trolling English speakers as they have puns and jokes inserted in them... LOL

Mario Odyssey also reused a lot of assets. The dog wearing the hat is actually from Nintendogs, and that's just one example.

Haha I thought this when playing it.

Reusing assets is not the problem it’s denying they were reused in order to justify cut content. The Pokémon anime for one reuses the same backgrounds over and over it’s why they walk through woods/forests a lot.

Haha I thought this when playing it.

Reusing assets is not the problem it’s denying they were reused in order to justify cut content. The Pokémon anime for one reuses the same backgrounds over and over it’s why they walk through woods/forests a lot.
I would like to add that reusing assets is not a problem if those assets don't feel too old. For example, it is not a problem if they choosed to reuse the same models from 6 years ago but I hoped that some would have been improved in animations (especially those who float instead of flying --> swellow for example) but considering wingull still floats in the overworld, I wouldn't expect other pokemon to improve. A lot of the animations feel really old, even if compared to 20 years old games. Not counting that in 2019, on a home console, It's just absurd that pokemon are not well proportioned in battle and still shoot fire from their shoulders. These things should have changed at this point.

Agreed Japanese’s words change depending on the context and it’s also just a completely unrelated language to English. It’s not like French or German etc Google can do a not great but passable job as the sentence structure and vocabulary are very similar.

I get really annoyed seeing these mistranslations especially when people reply with well Google said so. I know for a fact some of the translations are Japanese people trolling English speakers as they have puns and jokes inserted in them... LOL
It's why I find it difficult to trust translated sources that aren't officially from Game Freak/Nintendo or from at least someone who's been working in the gaming industry long enough to offer a more in-depth view of what might be the most likely thing going on within a game company's approach to developing/designing games.

And "you don't have to be a fully fledged game developer to know these things" isn't a good argument because there are some things you have to know about through personal experience or from being involved in the industry to understand what's really going on, or at least be able to see from their perspective.

It's why I find it difficult to trust translated sources that aren't officially from Game Freak/Nintendo or from at least someone who's been working in the gaming industry long enough to offer a more in-depth view of what might be the most likely thing going on within a game company's approach to developing/designing games.

And "you don't have to be a fully fledged game developer to know these things" isn't a good argument because there are some things you have to know about through personal experience or from being involved in the industry to understand what's really going on, or at least be able to see from their perspective.

Agreed also GameFreak Sony Nintendo any Japanese Dev with a translator can still shoot themselves in the foot. What they want to say in Japanese sounds ok and the translator translates it properly but on the spot in the interview you don’t have time to adjust for context.

I worked as an English teacher and translator when I was studying at Nichidai. Soon leaned to adjust for context. At first people were annoyed but I had to explain that “this” sounds very bad/strange in English/Japanese.

I have a feeling this happens a lot especially recently with the changes at Nintendo/GameFreak. People jump on what is said in an interview instead of waiting for official press release like you say it’s worth waiting.

They had to delay DP cause something went wrong with the game during development right? Like graphical errors?

Also 200 developers is not enough?
DP were never said to be delayed. It's unlikely that they were ever going to be released in 2005 given when development started, but when fans saw Munchlax and the titles they jumped into conclusions. Even (17-year old) Serebii thought they'd be released in... 2004. When the games were announced (October 2004) the anime staff were already planning the Battle Frontier saga.

As for the second question, the proof is in the pudding. 200 sounds like a lot, but if more than half only did contract work for a month or two (that also applies to Pokemon designers and composers), that number is misleading. The 3DS games were not particularly ambitious or polished, while SwSh are not off to a good start.

DP were never said to be delayed. It's unlikely that they were ever going to be released in 2005 given when development started, but when fans saw Munchlax and the titles they jumped into conclusions. Even (17-year old) Serebii thought they'd be released in... 2004. When the games were announced (October 2004) the anime staff were already planning the Battle Frontier saga.

As for the second question, the proof is in the pudding. 200 sounds like a lot, but if more than half only did contract work for a month or two (that also applies to Pokemon designers and composers), that number is misleading. The 3DS games were not particularly ambitious or polished, while SwSh are not off to a good start.
Doesn't that kinda depend on how much quality they want the game to have? For example they're not trying to compete with BOTW but they at least are trying to outdo their last game.

Okay, but based on that line of thinking, you could defend any game. Consumers have to consider their own standards.
And it seems their standard is to only outdo their previous game. And honestly that a realistic goal, cause if you end up making the absolute best game you can make it raises the bar too high which becomes harder to keep up. So slowly progressing is reasonable at least.

Did you check the thread title?
I already broke my self promise of keeping away from any thread dexit related for the sake of relieving stress from myself. Only reason I came here now was to spread some new info, I won't go back to arguing again. Hence why I take my leave when it's brought up.

I already broke my self promise of keeping away from any thread dexit related for the sake of relieving stress from myself. Only reason I came here now was to spread some new info, I won't go back to arguing again. Hence why I take my leave when it's brought up.
I understand. It’s just that the subject is basically the entire premise of the thread, that’s why I asked.

I hope the stress is reduced soon for you.

Just looked at J.M's profile....he is just being slammed with 'BringBackTheNationalDex' stuff.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom