• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on Ed Sheeran being in SV?

A wild Ed Sheeran appeared

• I like the song so it's fine by me.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Ugh...pre-order canceled.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DEAR, ARCEUS, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US!?

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Ehh...don't care.

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Don't care, but I hope there is a streamer option.

• I like it, but I hope there is a streamer option.

• This is a bad idea and there better be a streamer option.

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
So if you haven't heard the news:

What's everyone's thoughts on real licensed music being in thr games now? Is this a good step forward or a horrible idea that will open the door for only bad things for the series?

Personally, I don't like the idea. Especially considering what legal hell a lot of games that use licensed music get in 20 years down the line. Not to mention as someone who dislikes Ed Sheeran, it would suck if we found out later it replaced another song in the original due to copyright.

The fact that it'll be in the game at all is a weird surprise. You'd think it would just be another Pokemon song like the 25th anniversary songs that were created last year.

With that said, my best guess is that it'll appear in the end credits when you finish the story. It'll then transition to another song just like every other credits sequence since they aren't exactly short. In other words, any streamer that mutes the audio at the end credits will only have to do so until the song is over. Other than that, I'm not sure how else it'll be incorporated unless it's treated as some extra surprise/easter egg.

Surprised that GF wants to go this route. This may be apocryphal but I remember hearing that for a long time Sega couldn't use their most iconic Sonic track "Green Hill Zone" in games because of legal shenanigans with the musician they hired to write it. :unsure:

Otherwise, I don't have any real opinion. Ed Sheeran makes some of the most generic pop songs and I've no doubt I'll probably forget it as soon as I've finished playing S/V.

I honestly don't see a big difference between this and Toby Fox doing music for the games.
I'm pretty sure the diffrence is Ed Sheeran is a major recording artist and Toby Fox is best known for indie video games and web comics.

I must admit, I rather have the guy known for doing music for indie projects than the guy that comes off like he or his record label paid his way to be in a popular video game franchise.

Have no strong feelings either way on the song or Ed himself. It's just surreal we're getting an actual song from a huge western artist in the games itself.

In terms of placement, definitely seems like a credits song to me.

Did seem odd though that music video had no ties to gen 9 specifically. Would've thought at least the starters would've popped up.

I don't care. I don't even know who this guy is. I see his name popping up from time to time. Either way, it's just not a big deal to me.

I'm indifferent about him, but the song is quite nice, so I don't mind if it's in the game. Hopefully it's either played as the credit song or in a scene that fits well with the song's lyrics.

It seems they did the collab to attract more mainstream audience, which I don't think a it's a bad thing per se.

I don't listen to the guy, but I adore his song Shivers, so I decided to check out Celestial because wynaut. And dang, it's pretty good. I'm cool with the song being in the games since it's actually good. If it was terrible, I'd be annoyed. I assume it'll be in the credits, since I can't really imagine where else they've shove a real song without it being weird or out of place.

I don't really care that much, especially if it's just a credits song or something that plays as a one off.

I honestly hate this.
I don't like the guy, I don't like his music, I don't like his voice.
I don't care about GF or TPCi hiring pop artists to do music for the games or whatever. Just not him, please.

To clarify, the problem (for me at least), is not Ed Sheeran. Given the right licensed material he can create a masterpiece:

Celestial, on the other hand, doesn't feel like it's written for these games. It feels like a leftover album cut that was dusted off for this promotion. Maybe they'll have an instrumental to use in-game that I like enough to use for my battle music, but with the lyrics it's just too generic.

I'm indifferent about him, but honestly I don't like Celestial, it's boring both musically and lyrically for me. Though I wouldn't care if it's just an ending song. It may be used to bring some mainstream audience but I have some doubts that it would work the way they wanted it to.

I think the song is good, though I definitely feel hearing it being in a Pokémon game would feel weird lol

Kinda off-topic but what's with the Ed Sheeran hate lately lol. People on Twitter have been raging about this song and Ed Sheeran left and right, but then again, it's Twitter... What do we expect XD

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom