• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Transparent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulbalover

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how to make a picture transparent?Thanks in advance.

Making a picture transparent is pretty easy, but the steps depend on the software that you use. (Also, keep in mind that JPEGs do not support transparency.) What graphics editing software do you have? Tell us, and someone who uses it will give you specific steps. If all you have is MS Paint (which, I believe, cannot save transparent images), then post the pic you want and someone will make it transparent for you.

This shouldn't be in the programmer forums... you don't need to be a programmer to make make images transparent. XD

It has nothing to do with that. To make part of a bitmap transparent (assuming you are using the Win32 API), you must use two bitmaps: one that is black everywhere except it is white where the transparency should be, and one that is black where the transparency should be. Then call BitBlt to the mask, using SRCAND as the last parameter, and then call BitBlt to the image using SRCPAINT last. (in the same place)

You can also use advanced BitBlt-ing to make an image that acts as a mask. and repeat the process.

Well, if you have Adobe Photoshop, all you have to do is copy the image you want transparent, make a new document on it with "Transparent backround" set and then paste your image in and use the Eraser set on "Pencil" and just erase the white part in your image, and save it. Then you're all done. I only know how to do that with Adobe, sorry if that doesn't help you though. =\

to give a useful answer I'd have to have a more detailed question..

in gimp at least, just add an alpha channel to the background layer, select the background with the magic wand, clear the selection, and save as a png or gif or xcf or whatever.

I find that the easiest way to do it is to put the image on a solid background of a colour you don't have in the pic, then open it up in Irfanview, go Save As a GIF or PNG and in the options box, tick "Save Transparent Colour" or whatever it is now. Then it brings up an eyedropper and you just click the background.

Paint doesnt have the ability to opaque backgrounds. Go toLunapicand upload your picture, go to "crop" select the magic wand, select the background of your image and click "cut selection" and you should be left with a checkered background which represents transpaernt. Save the pic and your done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom