• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tsutarja, Pokabu, Mijumaru localized: The long wait is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol... The name are so bland in a funny way except Mijumaru's name which is just weird... I hope the va for the voice actress sounds as cute saying it's name as Mijumaru so that I'll grow to like the name... Mijumaru is just such a cute name!

Snivy... Snake and Ivy... "Go Snivy!" I can just hear someone congested saying that name in a really annoying tone.

Tepig, that's alright... Very bland... It's a name that'll probably grow on me once the season starts. Maybe...

I can't believe this, German names are much better.

Serpifeu ~ Tsutarja
Floink ~ Pokabu
Ottaro ~Mijumaru

:-|
Heh, I kinda like Ottaro (maybe even better than Oshawott)

Anyways, can't wait until they release more names :naughty: Lookin' forward too it. I also like the English logos of games :-D

Khajmer said:
Replace the Y with a W and enjoy.

...aah. D8 Gotcha. Maybe TPCi noticed that, too? Hence the "Vast White"?

Last edited:
I don't really remember for sure, but I'm sure that a lot of people criticize the English names of just about every pokemon when it comes out. Then they get used to it and don't have a problem anymore. I'm almost positive that once the initial awkwardness of the name change goes away, everyone will be fine.

..Well these names will definitely take time to get used to. I'm surprised they completely changed the name Isshu when all of the past regions kept names similar or the same to their Japanese ones.

So, I hear some people think Mijumaru's dub name incorporates "Oshawa", a Canadian city.

Interesting, because one dub name I thought of was Otterwa, a pun on "Ottawa", also a Canadian city. :0

Anyway, it's odd...but it sounds "warrior" like to me.

Snivy is a simple pun, but it sounds stuck-up. Tepig is one of those names that seems like it won't sound that good spoken, since the "te" in "tepid" isn't that strong, but it makes me hope they'll use Supig for Chaobuu. :)

Although Unova sounds awesome, I am curious how they went from Isshu to that. Oh well, it could be worse.

Snivy? Not their most creative name, but I do find it funny that I was going to nickname mine Ivy anyway...

I just looked at the official website. I like the new font used for BW.

OMG those names are awful.
How on Earth did they come up with Unova? that's the worst. It'll take me a while to get used to it.

Unova instead of Isshu? that's very bad.. I still think that Pokabu is better then Tepig, but Snivy is pretty cool somehow.. Only Mijumaru is really, really bad, Oshawott? At first I couldn't even pronounce it normally :ll

Why is everyone freaking out over Unova? I love the name. It sounds really awesome and has a nice ring to it. I prefer that to Isshu.

Unova instead of Isshu? that's very bad.. I still think that Pokabu is better then Tepig, but Snivy is pretty cool somehow.. Only Mijumaru is really, really bad, Oshawott? At first I couldn't even pronounce it normally :ll

Pretty much what I think.

Though guys, please stop it with the "You'll get over it and be using it in conversation" Schtick, because that really, really bugs me. Because I know I'm not, and quite a few other people aren't. I actually like Snivy, and Unova to a point, but if anything, I'd rather use Ottaro and Floink for Pokabu and Mijumaru if I had to, but I probably won't, except for nicknaming them.

Why is everyone freaking out over Unova? I love the name. It sounds really awesome and has a nice ring to it. I prefer that to Isshu.
They've never ever changed a region name before, that's why.

I usually defend the localized names, but even I have to admit that these suck.

I've been thinking about it, maybe Snivy's evolution will be called... Janovy? Similar, isn't it?

I've been thinking about it, maybe Snivy's evolution will be called... Janovy? Similar, isn't it?

Similar, and I'd like that, but where would the Ja come from?

Snanovy is wat.

I just hope they leave the rest of his line basically the same, or at least not have crappy ones. Snivy's good, and is a basic translation of Tsutarja, so I'm cool with it.

I don't. Why are you making generalizations?

Because unfortunately, the majority of the fandom does exactly what he's describing. I don't think he/she was talking about you in particular.

Though guys, please stop it with the "You'll get over it and be using it in conversation" Schtick, because that really, really bugs me. Because I know I'm not, and quite a few other people aren't.

But again, the majority of the fandom really does act that way, with the pointless complaining and the hypocrisy that goes with it. As long as there is that pointless complaining, there's going to be the people that tell them to get over it. It's a vicious, endless cycle we live in... 'tis the reason why I don't frequent on here as much as I used to.

Because unfortunately, the majority of the fandom does exactly what he's describing. I don't think he/she was talking about you in particular.
*sigh* I hate this fandom at times :/

But again, the majority of the fandom really does act that way, with the pointless complaining and the hypocrisy that goes with it. As long as there is that pointless complaining, there's going to be the people that tell them to get over it. It's a vicious, endless cycle we live in... 'tis the reason why I don't frequent on here as much as I used to.

I can understand why :/

were kids really going to get confused with the name isshu that they had to change it to Unova!!! Nintendo has never changed region names so why start now, i mean really wtf it makes no sense and it just complicates things even more.

and the starter names were fine before mijumaru, tsujara , and pokuba all sound perfect and actually sound like pokemon names unlike these which sound like a 2nd grader made them up.

Go Tepig??? really who in nintendo thought that sounded like a good name. sigh theres no way i'm gonna be able to watch the english anime now, let alone play the english game without changing the names off all the pokemon to there japaense counter part names

even more that pisses me off is how serebii has started calling isshu , unova. i mean sigh really , the games not even out yet so why even change the site.

1 last thing the same region being named 2 things is going to make a ton of confusion . for a example a kid looks online unova region pokemon and sees all these results for isshu and is confused out of their mind as to whats going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom