• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review TW04: Early-Evening Waves

Youtube's automated translation of the Japanese subtitles was good enough to get the gist of the plot. So, it was about Nessa's inner conflict because she can't decide what to prioritize, Pokemon battles or working as a model. I expected her to decide in favor of Pokemon battles after meeting her old friend Milotic but she obviously decided to do both (if the translation was correct)

All in all, an awesome episode! Probably the best thing about it was the beautiful scenery and the animation as well as that epic piece of music when Milotic appeared.
So far, every episode of that series has been great, but this one was one the best.

Hey, don't be like that, Nessa. What did you think would happen going up against a Grass-type expert?

Marnie: I want in! Arceus only knows when I'll be in the TV! If I'm even in it at all...
Producer: We're really sorry, but we just don't have the time. Though we'll see what we can do.

Loved it. Just wish she could meet Misty.

Actually, I get the feeling it's for the best they don't...

1587175886692.png

This episode was the one that needs subs to understand the plot... Could someone tell me what was the Rose segment meant for? He gave me sexual predator vibes.

This episode was the one that needs subs to understand the plot... Could someone tell me what was the Rose segment meant for? He gave me sexual predator vibes.
He was basically hinting that Nessa should quit being a model and focus solely on being a Gym Leader. I just saw a subtitled version.

Yes, he did. Not only that, even after he speaks you can see that he gets closer, without necessity. After that, we just chance scene. This could either be nothing, or the special giving us a hint. I never liked rose, and now, I headcanon him as a sexual predator as well. In this Oleana reminds me of the mom in the 2003 swedish movie 'Ondskan'. (Go see that movie as is brilliant)

It really wasn't meant to be sexual predator so much as "cutthroat businessman" since it was basically a veiled threat that she needs to either improve as a Gym Leader or just honourably retire (presumably before he publicly fires her) since Rose is disappointed by her performance as of late.

I like it because it shows Rose's darker side without necessarily portraying him as evil quite yet. Also gives a nice contrast to his role in episode 1 where he inspired hope in the children, to the Gym Leaders he inspires fear if they don't live up to the expectations of the role.

It really wasn't meant to be sexual predator so much as "cutthroat businessman" since it was basically a veiled threat that she needs to either improve as a Gym Leader or just honourably retire (presumably before he publicly fires her) since Rose is disappointed by her performance as of late.
That context helps, I watched the scene initially in Japanese and had absolutely no clue what was going on. It seems like a predator situation without dialogue. I gotta find a subbed version to watch now...

Something else I forgot to mention, I really adore the level of attention put into Wyndon. When Nessa is walking by the terraced houses back to the taxi I immediately thought - "I know exactly where in the game she is" and that is awesome. In comparison I remember being disappointed when Ash & Gou went to Wyndon for the first time and it looked like such a generic filler-esque town. :unsure:

That context helps, I watched the scene initially in Japanese and had absolutely no clue what was going on. It seems like a predator situation without dialogue. I gotta find a subbed version to watch now...
FWIW, even knowing the JPN dialogue you have to read between the lines a little since Rose is a master of "meaning a lot whilst saying very little". :LOL:

If Rose was a predator the whole plot with Bede would have been a lot scarier since he buys him expensive stuff like the clock to win his affection. Just like a "sugar daddy". :eek: I doubt that Rose is a predator though. :p

It's nice to see some female characters /friendship in the anime again since the main anime is all about Gou and Satoshi being bros. Even if it's all about eating cake and wearing pretty clothes lol.

The animation was amazing, it's always breathtaking to see this underwater scenes filled with Pokémon, and the movements during the rest of the episode were really great.

However, I'm mixed on the story, as I don't understand how encountering a fish from your childhood would convince you to follow two careers at the same time. I guess it has to do with Milotic = beauty = models = Nessa but I'm not convinced. The editing could've been better, I'd have placed the childhood scene at the start and the Milotic riding scene when it actually happened.

I liked Sonia and her relationship with Nessa, hopefully the PM one is just as charismatic.

The animation was amazing, it's always breathtaking to see this underwater scenes filled with Pokémon, and the movements during the rest of the episode were really great.

However, I'm mixed on the story, as I don't understand how encountering a fish from your childhood would convince you to follow two careers at the same time. I guess it has to do with Milotic = beauty = models = Nessa but I'm not convinced. The editing could've been better, I'd have placed the childhood scene at the start and the Milotic riding scene when it actually happened.

I liked Sonia and her relationship with Nessa, hopefully the PM one is just as charismatic.
It's because Sonia said that she should be strong AND a waifu ,just like milotic. and even gardevoir if I was going to add.

Huh, it only just hit me but the blue highlights in Nessa's hair must not be natural as she doesn't have them as a child. :unsure:

Anyways, this is probably the first episode where I'm not so keen on the dub. Nessa's VA in particular felt like she could have given a few of those lines a couple more takes.

I wanted to wait on the episode's dubbed airing before writing anything.

This was interesting. I liked how we witnessed Rose's thinly-veiled threat about prioritizing Gym Leader duties above all; it really reinforces the bigger significance Galarian Gyms have in comparison to...every other establishment (at this time). That being said, I think the comment was ill-timed and unfair as Nessa lost to Milo, who uses an advantageous type over hers; Drednaw is quad-weak to Grass, for goodness sake. While I appreciated Nessa's emboldened resolve courtesy of Sonia (yay for animating their friendship!) and Milotic at the episode's end, I feel that it was undermined slightly when she reported to Oliana rather than Rose. Yes yes, he was conspicuously absent due to a meeting, but her standing right back up to him would've made her assertion that she can balance her two careers effectively carry more weight.

Also didn't realize Milotic were that big. That aside, yes-you'd think Milotic would be the perfect partner for Nessa considering this episode and her character overall; but they gave one to Oleana, and obviously one species of Pokemon can't be shared between several characters. Maybe they thought doing so would be too predictable, hence why they took the opportunity to illustrate the interaction in this short instead.

And, we got a Marnie cameo! ...which is probably the most we'll see from her in Twilight Wings. That just leaves Bede, then.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom