• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

UK Elections

I'd say he screwed you over when he started churning out unregulated Apprenticeships at half of minimum wage instead of creating real jobs.

One of which... I've been doing for nearly a year.

They're a third of the minimum wage now btw.

I'd say he screwed you over when he started churning out unregulated Apprenticeships at half of minimum wage instead of creating real jobs.

You may have lucked into a decent one - they are out there, but they're rare. The big flaw in the idea is that it's pretty much down to conscience of the employer to make it a worthwhile job (Instead of just turning an ordinary entry-level job into an Apprenticeship, saving a huge amount on wages and quite possibly pocketing a sum from government incentives as a reward for "creating" the Apprenticeship in the first place). Not that that matters to any of the major three parties. To them it's a quick way of getting the unemployment figures down while the average working voter believes them to be a sound way of getting under 25s into work

I would vote for any government that admits tax avoidance costs the UK 10x the money of benefits - and most people on benefits need them.

You may have lucked into a decent one - they are out there, but they're rare. The big flaw in the idea is that it's pretty much down to conscience of the employer to make it a worthwhile job (Instead of just turning an ordinary entry-level job into an Apprenticeship, saving a huge amount on wages and quite possibly pocketing a sum from government incentives as a reward for "creating" the Apprenticeship in the first place). Not that that matters to any of the major three parties. To them it's a quick way of getting the unemployment figures down while the average working voter believes them to be a sound way of getting under 25s into work

nah it kinda sucks, just waiting for it to end

by third I meant the min wage is three times more than what I'm getting.

I would vote for any government that admits tax avoidance costs the UK 10x the money of benefits - and most people on benefits need them.

I imagine a lot of the smaller parties will have said this on numerous occasions as an attack on Labour and Conservatives.

The necessary evil of the Conservatives is no longer need in my opinion so I will be voting Labour. The rich do not need to be defended in our economic recovery and I'd rather have a party in power that somewhat care for people of my age group (20s).

I'm either going to vote for Greens or Labour. Green is the party I back the most with their policies, however as the main 2 parties are labour or conservative, I'm conflicted whether I should join the masses and just vote the lesser of two evils (aka labour)?

My family home is in a conservative area, and if I were to vote for my families financial stability, I would vote for conservative - as labour are looking to tax higher earners more, which my family would fit in - but I just can't vote for a party with social conservative views. However where I live for work and where I'm registered to vote is primarily labour...

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as I have no idea who to vote for as I don't have a single focus like a lot of people. Like economy, NHS or welfare. All my top priorities are roughly equal priority and are as follows:
  • Animal Welfare
  • Increased policing, more rehabilitation for the misguided and firmer punishments for the evil
  • Better the NHS
  • Economy
  • A little bit more spending in defence
  • Major EU reform
  • Benefits for those who cannot work but cut them for people who can clearly work
  • Better civil rights (in the sexual orientation and identy department)

So one party may do good in one department but completely fail another so I'm a little torn at the moment. I'll probably do a tally when I read each party's manifesto and if I get a draw I'll choose based on the candidate but I do really like my current MP but I'm no so sure on her party.

I'm going to be voting for the first time in this election, and I'm going to be voting Conservative.
They've fixed our economy, and we are now the fastest growing economy in the Western world.
They've protected the NHS, and increased spending on it each year.
They've opened tons of new schools.
They are promising us a referendum on EU membership (and while I don't personally know how I'd vote in that, I believe its important we have a vote)
They've drastically reduced unemployment and created 2 million new jobs, 80% of which are full time.

And as for the Uni fees, everyone is bamboozled by the 9000 figure, but anyone who can do basic math know you are better off under the new scheme.
The 9000 is not what you pay back thats what goes to the Uni.
What you pay back each year is 9% on whatever you earn over 21,000 each year for 30 years and then its wiped, whereas before it was 9% on whatever you earned over 15,000.

The average UK wage is 25000 so whereas under the old system you would pay back £900 back each year, under the new system you would only pay back £360 each year.
So the average person is £540 better off each year under the new system, but foolish people only choose to look at the 9000 figure.

The economy is nowhere near fixed. Outside of the south east there's only been a few green shoots of progress this past year, which is a pitiful result for five years from this current coalition - and as for those 2 million new jobs, the vast majority of those would have been created anyway. And most of these so-called "free schools" are already failing inspections.

It is fair to say that the university fees aren't anywhere near as crippling as people think they are. What most people tend to miss is that it's not like an ordinary loan - you have to be earning a decent amount before you even start to pay it back, and if you never do earn that, you never pay it back

I don't think that there will be any huge winner this time round, the parties that'll make the biggest gains will be smaller ones like SNP, Green and regrettably UKIP. People that vote for those parties cut into the votes Labour, Lib Dem and Conservatives will get, which is why we get the rhetoric of a vote for Lib Dem is a vote for David Cameron. SNP will likely win this election in the sense that they will get the largest number of seats compared to their previous best - 11. Some are even saying they'll get 50 of 59, which is ridiculous levels of growth - I think anything over 30 will be a massive victory for them.

The big three we can expect to lose small numbers of seats, some people are on board with austerity measures, whilst others are feeling the real terms of the cuts. Labour gains are really only going to come from former Lib Dem and Tory voters, whilst the inverse of that is also true. It's a close election this time.

My thoughts right now is that Conservatives will not form a majority government, and maybe not even a coalition.
Scotland will be won mostly by SNP, that's obvious.
Wales will likely be Conservative
Northern island could go either way with DUP or Sinn Féin
England will be the real battle ground with pockets of red and blue - Conservatives win but Labour will have a similar number of seats. This gives the opportunity for Labour to partner with SNP or Lib Dem, SNP I'd say is more likely.

(For the love of god don't shove this post in my face when Lib Dem when win an unprecedented 98% seats :p)

Five Thirty Eight is publishing an election forecast for this year: U.K. General Election Predictions | FiveThirtyEight

And an explanation on how it works: How Our U.K. Election Forecasting Model Works | FiveThirtyEight

I do not like the looks of that.
So we could have a hung parliament, a unworkable/impossible coalition between Tory/SNP or a undemocratic coalition between Labour/SNP?

Tory/SNP won't happen. I believe the current Con/Lib coalition will continue, maybe they will add DUP as well. By that election forecast they will only be just short of a majority, enough to run a minority gov, as UKIP, UUP won't vote against the coalition in a vote of no confidence, and sinn fein dont vote at all, so you dont actually need 326
its more like 320.

The economy is nowhere near fixed. Outside of the south east there's only been a few green shoots of progress this past year, which is a pitiful result for five years from this current coalition - and as for those 2 million new jobs, the vast majority of those would have been created anyway. And most of these so-called "free schools" are already failing inspections.

Let me just stop you right there, how can the fastest growing economy in the developed world not be considered fixed, how fast exactly do you want it to go? And the region with the fastest level of growth is the North of England, with the county of Yorkshire alone creating more jobs than the entirety of France. So no I don't think those jobs would have just happened anyway. Also don't forget Labour predicted that if the Coalition continued with their plan we'd lose 1 million jobs and go back into recession. As it happens there was no double dip, and rather than lose 1 million we gained 2 million!

Because the effects are not being felt. I'm sure it looks fine for you in Kent - and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, honestly - but I can tell you that here in the West Midlands it's been five years of struggling. I'd take the figures with a pinch of salt - technically you can call an Apprenticeship a full-time job, but they're all fixed-term contracts and paying barely enough to cover the cost of travel.

I wish I could remember which radio program this was one (So I could source it), but I heard a breakdown arguing that a a degree of economic recovery - and job creation - would have happened anyway, even if the coalition had literally done nothing. To argue that all job creation is down to the coalition is simply untrue, though you can argue about to what degree it is down to the coalition. This is the same government that encouraged people to risk everything setting up their own business and called it "supporting enterprise". True, Labour's predictions were wrong, although only just. Double-dip recession was avoided by only the barest of margins.

To be clear on my position, my criticism isn't so much that the economy isn't a bowl of cherries for everyone, but that the recovery has been made at the expense of the people who could least afford it. Council budgets have been consistently cut more in the Midlands and the North. Benefits and services for people with disabilities or supporting people with disabilities have been cut. Tax breaks have been misapplied, giving income tax breaks to the highest earners instead of cutting the actual cost of doing business

Baf said:
I severely doubt that. Wales is more likely to stay Labour (we have been for ages) or go Plaid, now that they've scrapped that ridiculous idea of Welsh independence. UKIP may do well in Wales, though, as a lot of people, especially in Cardiff, only experience the very worst of immigration and are more subject to UKIP's way of thinking.

Baf said:
I severely doubt that. Wales is more likely to stay Labour (we have been for ages) or go Plaid, now that they've scrapped that ridiculous idea of Welsh independence. UKIP may do well in Wales, though, as a lot of people, especially in Cardiff, only experience the very worst of immigration and are more subject to UKIP's way of thinking.

I have no idea why I wrote that XD Bit of a mistake.

I think Wales is likely to vote Labour given their history, much like how Labour had a stronghold in Scotland, it's unlikely that this election will buck their current trend - I'm not sure Plaid could provide a catalyst for Wales to vote Plaid Cymru as a majority, even without the topic of Welsh Independence.

My revised foresight:

Scotland - SNP (personally think that this is almost guaranteed)
Wales - Labour
N. Ireland - Unionist
England - Conservative

I'd say he screwed you over when he started churning out unregulated Apprenticeships at half of minimum wage instead of creating real jobs. The Uni fees thing has been blown out of proportion - yes, on paper it looks like a lot, but you also have to actually earn a decent amount before you even start to pay it back

I am in total agreement here, he also wants to create more apprenticeships (3 million to be precise) if he gets in. I am concerned, as they are not properly regulated, and to be honest? you are acutely aware that you are not classed as a "proper employee" (as an apprentice myself, I am finding this deeply urksome, but had no choice as far as job options go, especially when other options include "apprentice shelf stacker in Poundland two towns away, nothing on the role itself, but would be spending effectively a day's wages getting there if you see what I mean)

I am gonna be voting labour, as the "coalition" have stuffed my age group over royally.... Though wouldn't be surprised if we end up with another coalition of sorts...

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom