• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Confirmed

It would be strange to not receive any info until August. Almost feels like USUM is a side project or just a time waster until the Switch game release. :/

I wouldn't label USUM a "side project" or a "time waster" - if you were to label USUM as those, then ORAS could be considered the same. Given GF's randomness lately, any news of USUM that we get between now and release will be done at any given moments notice between now and November. Everyone was adamant we'd get news of Pokemon games during E3.. which we did, but we also got the sudden announcement of games the week prior. So who knows, maybe we'll get more news after this week.

Between the lack of info and the announcement of a Switch main series game, I feel like they're doing a terrible job marketing USM so far. Even if they turn out to be something more than cash-grabs or time-wasters, as many people like to call them, I can't see them selling very well.

Interest will hopefully start picking up once we actually learn something about the games. I do think that announcing a Switch game shortly after US/UM wasn't really the best move, at least in terms of promoting the latter, but I don't think it will have a significant effect on the sales. We don't know when the Switch games will come out, getting a game or two for the 3DS would be easier for people to manage given how cheap the system is and they'll be out within a few months. They'll probably sell as well as most of the third version games have. Since these games are coming out soon and I don't have to hope/pray for a cheaper version of the Switch to come out in order to play them. I do want to learn more about them.

Interest will hopefully start picking up once we actually learn something about the games.

True, though that also depends on what we'll learn. If they turn out to be just updated versions of SM, like many have already assumed, I can't see them generating much hype.

We don't know when the Switch games will come out, getting a game or two for the 3DS would be easier for people to manage given how cheap the system is and they'll be out within a few months.

I don't know, it seems like a decent chunk of the fanbase is super eager to leave the 3DS behind. Plus, from what I've seen, a mere announcement of a future Switch game has gathered more positive responses than USM have so far. Therefore I can see a lot of fans deciding to just skip USM.

Since these games are coming out soon and I don't have to hope/pray for a cheaper version of the Switch to come out in order to play them. I do want to learn more about them.

Yeah, I'm also glad we're getting more 3DS games. I'm just trying to keep my expectations low for now.

Just rewatched the Spotlight.

The exact wording was:
"Game Freak has begun developing a core RPG Pokémon title on the Nintendo Switch. It may not release for more than a year."

So it's a single, main series game. Felt the need to be precise in order sort out any confusion.

Just rewatched the Spotlight.

The exact wording was:
"Game Freak has begun developing a core RPG Pokémon title on the Nintendo Switch. It may not release for more than a year."

So it's a single, main series game. Felt the need to be precise in order sort out any confusion.

Or they're referring to the paired games as one game. Hasn't that happened before?

I think the announcement of the Switch game was done to calm the speculation of whether there would be a "Pokemon Stars" like game for the Switch. Some people were legitimately upset that a Pokemon game wasn't coming for the switch when USUM were announced.

I would love a main series RPG on the Switch, but the availability of consoles is in short supply and I think a game on the Switch now would be like shooting yourself in the foot. Better to wait until the userbase of the Switch is larger.

I think we need to put our energy into US/UM first, I think it's to soon to speculate a pokemon game on Switch, since it'll come out in either late 2018 or early 2019. We should be worried about getting any US/UM info at the e3, since today is the last day of e3, and they'll likely to announce more games today.

Am I the only one who thinks GF announced the Switch title just because they felt like it?:p I mean why would they care that there's an outrage on the internet, that's not really their problem. And I just really don't think that they decided within one single week to suddenly announce their Switch game without planning that beforehand. Their video wasn't exactly live, it would surprise me if that part wasn't already recorded before USUM was announced.

They're making a Switch game and are excited about it so announced it as soon as possible, that's really all there is to it I think.

EDIT: Also, reminder that the Fire Emblem game on the Switch was announced in the very same Direct in which they announced the FE game that would release a few months later. Echoes was a remake, but so is USUM sort of, so same thing happened really. And that didn't have anything to do with any internet outrage, they just wanted to announce it already, probably the same with Pokemon.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks GF announced the Switch title just because they felt like it?:p I mean why would they care that there's an outrage on the internet, that's not really their problem. And I just really don't think that they decided within one single week to suddenly announce their Switch game without planning that beforehand. Their video wasn't exactly live, it would surprise me if that part wasn't already recorded before USUM was announced.

They're making a Switch game and are excited about so announced it as soon as possible, that's really all there is to it I think.
Just to make the fans feel better. Tbh, the pokemon community is in a downhole right now, ever since they announce US/UM, the fans we're really steamed because they didn't get DP remake, Stars, not to mention is not on 3ds. Now the fans disagree with pokemon being on switch because they can't afford it, which is dumb because you have a year to save up your money to buy switch. @Soki you should see this some created a web page saying 15 Reasons Pokémon Ultra Sun And Ultra Moon Will Be TERRIBLE. This is so dumb that we got like 30 seconds of footage, we don't know much more about it. I think that's the reason why Tsunekazu Ishihara announce a pokemon game for Switch, so soon.

Last edited:
That article has some silly points (13-15, 9), but there are plenty of valid ones. Specifically, it is clear that these games are being marketed for kids, while adults are supposed to care about the likes of Pokken and Mario instead.

Between the lack of info and the announcement of a Switch main series game, I feel like they're doing a terrible job marketing USM so far. Even if they turn out to be something more than cash-grabs or time-wasters, as many people like to call them, I can't see them selling very well.

They just announced the games' existence like a week or two ago~ How is not showing anything by now terrible marketing? It's not like it's been 2 months with nothing. Sure, we'd like to see something, but at this point, it's not mandatory.

Imo, I don't think US/UM are a time waster or cash-grab, we haven't got any more info since the announcement trailer, so we do we know if it's time waster or not. We got last day of e3, rest of the month corocoro leaks, etc to find out more about US/UM, what new features, they'll have, new villain, new character, etc.

I feel bad for Gamefreak right now, they worked their butts creating a new project for pokemon ultrasun/ultramoon, and this is what they get, it's ashame to call them pokemon fans, they don't appreciate what GF gives them.
Oh, poor Game Freak. Some of their fans are able to criticize them rather than liking every single thing they do.

You have got to be kidding me.

I feel bad for Gamefreak right now, they worked their butts creating a new project for pokemon ultrasun/ultramoon, and this is what they get, it's ashame to call them pokemon fans, they don't appreciate what GF gives them.

A 'real' fan should just accept every game they get thrown at them? I think a real fan actually cares about the quality of the games they play and have the right to complain if it looks like the creator is putting less effort in them while still asking the same price. Cause that would mean the creator doesn't care about its fans anymore instead of the other way around.

Being a fan does not mean you're forbidden to complain about the thing you're a fan of. It would be weirder for non-fans to complain, cause they don't know what they're talking about :p

True, though that also depends on what we'll learn. If they turn out to be just updated versions of SM, like many have already assumed, I can't see them generating much hype.

I'm hoping that there's more to US/UM than just a traditional third version game. Considering how long it's been since Game Freak made a third version and how the concept is really outdated now due to DLC, I would hope that they have something else in mind for US/UM. Perhaps it's being too hopeful on my part, but I'd rather hope for the best than assume the worse whenever possible.

Vinx said:
I don't know, it seems like a decent chunk of the fanbase is super eager to leave the 3DS behind. Plus, from what I've seen, a mere announcement of a future Switch game has gathered more positive responses than USM have so far. Therefore I can see a lot of fans deciding to just skip USM.

Well a good amount of fans expected/hoped for a Switch game in the Pokemon Direct and the Switch is Nintendo's shiny new system, so people would be more excited over what will probably be the next generation on a console system than a return trip to Alola. Regardless of how different US/UM will be from Sun/Moon, it won't have as much new content compared to a new generation with new Pokemon, characters and region to explore. It's hard to tell exactly how many people would be willing to skip on US/UM just from online reactions, especially when people can change their opinions down the road. Maybe I just like sticking with the 3DS a bit longer also because I only got my New 3DS system last year, so more 3DS games appeals to me.

Vinx said:
Yeah, I'm also glad we're getting more 3DS games. I'm just trying to keep my expectations low for now.

That's understandable. I just want more information on them before anything else.

While I don't like how people are brushing off US/UM as pointless cash grabs with the little information we have on the game either, going as far as to say it's a shame to call them Pokemon fans is really not good. That's real fan logic and you never want to use real fan logic. People have different opinions and that's okay. People don't have to instantly appreciate everything Game Freak does or like every Pokemon game in order to be a real Pokemon fan. A single person doesn't determine who is a true or real fan of any franchise.

i mean considering that they had wealth of alternatives for a follow-up game to SM, an already fairly solid debut pair, and they opted for a remix, it is a bit.........disappointing, especially if you factor in that instead of doing anything with USM for E3 they instead chose to announce that PokéSwitch is coming.

i mean considering that they had wealth of alternatives for a follow-up game to SM, an already fairly solid debut pair, and they opted for a remix, it is a bit.........disappointing, especially if you factor in that instead of doing anything with USM for E3 they instead chose to announce that PokéSwitch is coming.
That was sadly given though since the Spotlight was for Switch games only and Core Pokémon for Switch would go viral.

Back
Top Bottom