• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Underestimated 5th gen

King Eriandor

Its dangerous to go alone
Reaction score
There were many things introduced in gen V that most people overlook or use only to a fraction oftheir potential. If you agree, disagree, have ideas of you own or like my Ideas feel free to comment. Now without further ado here are some of the most underappreciated 5th gen additions:

Accelgor
Yup, that's right, the speedy little ninja-esque bug thing. Although fast many people fail to notace what else the little bug has going for it.

I hate it when the awesome little bugger is used as type coverage. Sure he's a bug type that can use focus blast and final gambit, so WHAT? That is a waste of some crazy power.

For example, in rain, not only can it outspeed nearly anything without swift swim but it's abiity "Hydration" allows it to go without paralysis slowing it down. put it in a single battle and it can kill anything holding a life orb (poison or burn also works here)

eg: protect, substitute, protect, substitute, protect, substitute, protect, substitute, protect, rest, (focus sash) , bug buzz.

The life orb, recoil or status will have cut hp drasticly in those turns then bug buzz will finish foe off. If accelgor survives and focus sash isn't activated then that's even better.

Round
"What is round?" you ask, well it's that useless base 60 power TM, you never bothered to get at the battle subway. Big mistake.

At 60 base power round doesn't look like mutch, and it's not. BUT when you throw 2 good pokemon (namely accelgor and porygon-Z) into the mix; then you have a supersonic cannon able to take down a focus sash arceus before it can even say "swords dance".

As I mentioned before base 60 power isn't antyhing to get excited about. It's the secondary effect of this move, that makes it all-the more powerful. When round is used, any allied pokemon (porygon-Z) that are also using it will use it immidiatly after the first/fastest (accelgor) but not only that, after the first use the base power is doubled for the second user.

What? still not happy with 100% accuracy 120 base power, well... Porygon-Z has CRAZY sp.atk and the ability "Adaptability" which doubles the power of normal type moves. ...Still not enough? Well if you give porygon-z choice specs you get another power boost, along with the fact Accelgor can probably oustpeed anything on the field, you have yourself some unnatural power.

Gigalith
This guy is a pretty nice pokemon, with power and defence equal to pseudo-legendary metagross and a nice ability to support it's bulk.

It's great number of weaknesses is offset by it's lack of double weanesses. It's lack of speed is also offset by it's ability.

Razor claw stone edge can rip right through any flying type and more, choice band earthquake can annhialate anything else. in single this guy is literally the bomb with a powerful "explosion" and an ability to stop any attempts to kill him before he can explode.

At 60 base power round doesn't look like mutch, and it's not. BUT when you throw 2 good pokemon (namely accelgor and porygon-Z) into the mix; then you have a supersonic cannon able to take down a focus sash arceus before it can even say "swords dance".

As I mentioned before base 60 power isn't antyhing to get excited about. It's the secondary effect of this move, that makes it all-the more powerful. When round is used, any allied pokemon (porygon-Z) that are also using it will use it immidiatly after the first/fastest (accelgor) but not only that, after the first use the base power is doubled for the second user.

What? still not happy with 100% accuracy 120 base power, well... Porygon-Z has CRAZY sp.atk and the ability "Adaptability" which doubles the power of normal type moves. ...Still not enough? Well if you give porygon-z choice specs you get another power boost, along with the fact Accelgor can probably oustpeed anything on the field, you have yourself some unnatural power.

That's pretty horrifying. Have you used this combo before?

What you've said about Round is really interesting, what a brilliant strategy! As with SanchoSuitcase, I'm really curious to know if you've used the combo before and if so, how did it go?

I've used this combo before, yes, and 9.9 times out of 10 it works, that 0.1 is against Chansey with evolite/minimise

in this case I just leech seed with ludicolo and switch to accelgor. hydration prevents any attempt at status damaging and rain weakens the already pathtic chansey flamethrower.

Without overestimation and just plain facts: (using accelgor and porygon-z)

120 base power, choice specs (+50% sp.atk boost), 100% accuracy, 135 base sp.atk, adaptability (x2 base power), a little extra damage (60 base power) from Accelgor, both your pokemon move as fast as accelgor, 6.25% crit.

It seems underestimated, yes, but it works surprisingly well.

You're not even writing what metagame you are using this stuff in so there is no point trying to tell us how good it is.

Gigalith is horrible in any tier even running the it's only viable set, Explosion with Normal Gem, and Accelgor's base Special Attack isn't high enough to secure most KOs it need, regardless of tier.

For Round to be even remotely effective in doubles, you need to have almost all of your team abusing it. There are very few users of Round and it also means that the opponent can beat you by just having one check to it. There are far better options in terms of landing base 120 power attacks.

- Any kind of Pokemon that runs Protect is an easy counter. I can easily predict both of your Rounds coming, and give my partner Pokemon a free attack while taking absolutely no damage. Same with switchng in a Ghost type, or using a common special wall, like the aforementioned Eviolite Chansey.
- My partner Pokemon can Thunderwave your Accelgor, or Trick it an Iron Ball, throwing your whole strategy off by making Accelgor too slow to make the first move.
- While you use the Round combo to take down one of my mons without it being able to do anything most of the time, you're still giving my other mon a free turn to set up Agility, Light Screen, Amnesia, etc., depending on what mon it is and what set it is running.
- Not to mention, if you're running Choice Specs on PZ, being stuck into Round isn't the best option for it, because as soon as Accelgor gets crippled and unable to play the combo well, PZ is rendered completely useless, being locked into a useless Round.

While this set looks good on paper, it has too many common counters, IMO.

I believe I mentioned that I use a rain team.
accelgor's hydration stops paralysis.
and I only really use this when the two happen to be out at the same time.
and my kingdra also knows round in case accelgor goes down before Pory-z

Do you actually know what tiers are?

I'm sorry to break it to you, but all of this stuff is complete rubbish other trhan the round thing which is just about viable. I'm not sure who you play against but it won't be winning you '99.9% of games'.

Running such a specific strategy inside of a rain team isn't a good idea. Not to mention that Drizzle + Swift Swim is banned, so you're not allowed to use Kingdra unless you're using Rain Dance to get your rain, which is just unreliable. Accelgor is still weak to an Iron Ball being Tricked, and Kingdra is still weak to Iron Ball and Paralysis. If you're relying on rain that much, you're incredibly susceptible to any other weather teams too. A bulky Ninetales could come in, remove your rain, let your partner cripple anything, and smack a Sun boosted attack onto Accelgor, or even hurt your Kingdra with Solarbeam, depending on its moveset, and even if you change attacks to deal with something like Ninetales, your PZ is still locked into Round, which is useless without Accelgor using it first.

And if you're relying on them "being in at the same time", then that's just stupid because if they're not out at the same time, you've basically wasted that moveslot on Round, where you coud have a more useful move that might change the battle in your favour. If you're planning to use a specific stratey like this, then atleast build the rest of your team to let this work, and actually plan to use the combo and abuse it to your advantage, because just using the combo whenever they happen to be out is just a waste of that moveslot really.

I play Ubers because destroying darkrai with accelgor is fun (I believe I mentioned facing arceus before) I give kingdra lum berry to stop paralysis (or any other status problems) and accelgor's substitute protects it from trick.

I'm also mainly using it for VGC (check out Battle vid. 71-58348-69190) I use several mini strategies between 2 particular pokemon like Politoed's surf with toxicroak, ludicolo's leech seed, switch to accelgor, drizzle-thunder. Partnerships can work pretty well when executed well.

Running such a specific strategy inside of a rain team isn't a good idea. Not to mention that Drizzle + Swift Swim is banned, so you're not allowed to use Kingdra unless you're using Rain Dance to get your rain, which is just unreliable. Accelgor is still weak to an Iron Ball being Tricked, and Kingdra is still weak to Iron Ball and Paralysis. If you're relying on rain that much, you're incredibly susceptible to any other weather teams too. A bulky Ninetales could come in, remove your rain, let your partner cripple anything, and smack a Sun boosted attack onto Accelgor, or even hurt your Kingdra with Solarbeam, depending on its moveset, and even if you change attacks to deal with something like Ninetales, your PZ is still locked into Round, which is useless without Accelgor using it first.

And if you're relying on them "being in at the same time", then that's just stupid because if they're not out at the same time, you've basically wasted that moveslot on Round, where you coud have a more useful move that might change the battle in your favour. If you're planning to use a specific stratey like this, then atleast build the rest of your team to let this work, and actually plan to use the combo and abuse it to your advantage, because just using the combo whenever they happen to be out is just a waste of that moveslot really.
Actually Kimgdra can run Sniper and I've seen a few Rain teams with Sniper Kingdra. Even without Swift Swim, it can sweep entire teams after a DD and with Rain support.

Do you actually know what tiers are?

I'm sorry to break it to you, but all of this stuff is complete rubbish other trhan the round thing which is just about viable. I'm not sure who you play against but it won't be winning you '99.9% of games'.
Being hardly used =/= rubbish. Not the greatest Pokemon or strategies, yes, but taking the opponent by surprise can be very effective.

I never said that being not used makes them bad. I'm saying that them being bad makes them not used.

Actually Kimgdra can run Sniper and I've seen a few Rain teams with Sniper Kingdra. Even without Swift Swim, it can sweep entire teams after a DD and with Rain support.

I didn't think about that, I've never seen Kingdra using Sniper; I've only ever seen Kingdra running Swift Swim, and I thought that was the only way it was really good. Either way, if he's running Sniper, Kingdra doesn't get the speed it needs to run his Round strategy without using Dragon Dance first, and Round wouldn't benefit from the Attack boost. Using DD in a double battle isn't always ideal, either.

Nah, I was talking about Kingdra in general. It has much better moves to use than Round. Same with most Pokemon, but I guess it's worth a shot if you want to use it.

Round isn't that good in Doubles, with Metagross, Tyranitar, and Protect all being sufficient ways to stop it.

everyone has different opinions, gigalith was pretty awesome when paired with metagross the two made a pretty good team (especially against sandstorms) my politoed has never had a problem with metagross or tyranitar but they would be pretty tough to take out otherwise.

the round tactic is mainly to take an opponent by surprise and to either ko a key team member or to finish off 2 weak pokemon.
accelgor is best used in singles with rain and gigalith is a nice stealth rocker/lead sweeper
everyone fights differently this is what I like to use.

Another thing I forgot to mention about accelgor, he makes a nice chancey/ blissey counter on a rain team, especially if a leech seed it set up in advance.
Hydration prevents any attempted status trolls and leech seed heals what little damage can be done by the fire blasts.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom