• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unexplored Pokemon types

Bug/Dragon, Fairy/Bug, Poison/Fairy, Psychic/Bug (i have a thing for bugs)

I've been waiting for Ice/Fighting for a loooong time. Keldeo was so close! Ah well...

Those two types would combine to be pure offense- 9 strengths, 6 weaknesses. And not many existing type combinations resist both Ice/Fighting besides certain Ghosts and others. Night Slash/Shadow Claw or Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball would give near perfect coverage.

I don't recall if any of these have been said/ done already but...:

- Fairy/ Fighting
- Dragon/ Fairy
- Ice/ Steel
- Ice/ Electric
- Fire/ Ghost

Fairy / Dragon *has* to happen at some point. Give me my Maleficent, please! <3

*coughs*

Sorry, where were we? Oh right. Other type combinations. Fairy still has a huge untapped potential, but especially I would love to see a Fire/Fairy or a Dark/Fairy. Fae are not all light and sunshine, kids, just in case Maleficent wasn't enough to tell you that :) Most "fairy tales" are downright *awful* when you actually read them, mostly because that's what the Fae were *like*. There's a reason people used to call them the "Good Folk" or the "Kindly Ones" or the like – it was to appease them, pure and simple. So yeah, France's fairies can be all happy rainbows, but give me some good old fashioned German, Irish or Nordic fairies ASAP.

Beyond my love for the Unseelie side of things, I want to see more Ghosts. Dark has finally covered pretty much all the worthy types [although I really want a Dark/Steel combo that isn't Bisharp... I can't explain why, I just don't like that particular 'mon], but Ghost is *still* the least populated type. It's also consistently my favorite type in the game. Hands down, my favorite 'mons of Generations V and VI are Chandelure and Aegislash [and Trevenant isn't far behind]; and if I had had the means to acquire him during Gen IV, I have little doubt that Spiritomb would have been a contender for my favorite 'mon of Generation IV. They get some of the best designs, they have relatively few weaknesses... and oh yeah, have some of the best designs. I put a lot of stock in how a 'mon looks, and Ghosts win that category hands down. Simply put, we need more of them. Since this thread is about specifics though, let's see... a new Electric/Ghost wouldn't go amiss [Rotom's cute but it's too gimmicky for my tastes; not to mention the fact that Ghost is the type it loses when it possesses other appliances >.<], or a Psychic/Ghost.

~*~*~*~​

I noticed earlier back someone said to justify some of the missing types, since a few may be overpowered or vastly underpowered by the quirks of their type combination, so I found a page that does type effectiveness based on *all* combinations. So let's look at how they'd measure up. All names are purely conceptual, just to have something to refer to the typing as rather than any specific Pokémon I'd like to see made.

"Maleficent", the Fairy Dragon: Seven Defenses [Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Fighting, Bug and Dark]; four Weakness [Ice, Poison, Steel and Fairy]; and one Immunity [Dragon]. Given its superior defenses, I'd rather see this one as a Legendary or Pseudolegendary.
"Djinn", the Fire Fairy: Six Defenses [Fire, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Dark and Fairy]; one Super Defense [Bug]; four Weaknesses [Water, Poison, Ground and Rock]; and one Immunity [Dragon]. Again, superior defenses, more so than even the Maleficent.
"Bainsidhe", the Dark Fairy: One Defense [Ghost]; one Super Defense [Dark]; three Weaknesses [Poison, Steel and Fairy]; and one Immunity [Dragon]. More weaknesses than defenses, this could be a good fae to find out and about in the world, maybe as a two-part evolutionary family.
"Medium", the Psychic Ghost: Two Defenses [Poison and Psychic]; two Super Weaknesses [Ghost and Dark]; and two Immunities [Normal and Fighting]. Likewise very dangerous to use because of its two double-weaknesses. Can't help but notice how the Mediums are excessively weak to the two things that the Bainsidhes are best defended against. Could be a fun rivalry? :)

- Fairy/ Fighting
- Dragon/ Fairy
- Ice/ Steel
- Ice/ Electric
- Fire/ Ghost

Ahem
Fire/Ghost exists already
*points at Chandelure*

The other suggestions are cool though :0

I'd like to see more Electric combinations. Aside from Rotom's forms, I haven't seen many interesting type combinations for Electric. I'd especially be interested in seeing Electric/Fighting, Electric/Psychic, and Electric/Dark.

Aside from that, here's my list:

Normal/Ghost
Grass/Dragon (Thank you, Mega Sceptile)
Fire/Fairy
Ghost/Fighting
Bug/Dragon
Bug/Fairy
Dragon/Fighting
Dragon/Fairy

And I know these have been done before, but we need Bug/Water and Bug/Ground that keep their types when they evolve, it's an utter travesty that we got such good type combinations in 3rd gen, and then they evolve into the crappiest and most overused Bug combination in the game (Bug/Flying).

- Fairy/ Fighting
- Dragon/ Fairy
- Ice/ Steel
- Ice/ Electric
- Fire/ Ghost

Frost Rotom is Electric/Ice.

Last edited:
Types I would like to see.

Ghost/Fighting
Ghost/Fairy
Normal/Ghost
Fire/Fairy
Poison/Fairy
Grass/Fire
Grass/Dragon
Grass/Water (Note this type order: it means the design is a plant with aquatic characteristics, not a kappa or aquatic creature with plant characteristics)

Thanks for reading.

Fairy currently has the fewest types. There are all manner of types that would fit: all the former special types, for instance.

I'll give type combos and hypothetical examples of how it could be done

Bug/Fairy (Volbeat & Illumise)
Bug/Psychic (Butterfree, Beautifly & Mothim)
Poison/Steel (evo or mega-evo of Muk & Garbodor)
Dark/Fairy (mega Absol really should have this type combo)
Dark/Bug (Drapion)
Bug/Dragon (Vibrava, Flygon & possibly Yanmega?)
Grass/Dragon (mega-evo of Sceptile & Serperior)
Rock/Poison (Roggenrola dipped in Grimer dripping sludge from pointy edges)
Ice/Steel (Cryogonal Glalie and Cyber Sub-Zero get merged into one hideous bastardised robot monster)
Bug/Ice (???)
Grass/Fire (?mega? Sunflora)
Fire/Fairy (hypothetical mega Rapidash)

Apparently mega Sceptile just got confirmed to be grass/dragon in CoroCoro just a few days ago.

Last edited:
Water/Fire
Fire/Grass
more pure Flying-types
Poison/Fairy
Ghost/Fairy
Dragon/Fairy
Anything/Fairy

And as I said in this thread there's more than enough "sound-based" Pokémon to start a Sound Type. I'd definitely love that type to be added and explored.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom