• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unofficial Pokemon Books and Magazines

Hmm, interesting. I guess that makes sense. A shame things have changed so, I do a fair bit of writing and getting money for fanfics would be pretty nice =P
Yeah, that would be cool. Closest you can get is selling doujinshis in Japan... I wonder how many there actually are for Pokemon?

And I'd be happy to look around, I know where a couple are. What do you have in mind exactly?
I'm mostly curious what you have, but depending on what you're able, I'd appreciate scans/photos.

Last edited:
I have about 19 newer becketts and they're pretty good. I found this one racecar thingy at my school's holiday shop that had ash's kanto body, with a poorly drawn head poorly edited on, if that counts.

I read that article on Time's online archives. The first page or two was pretty harsh, but after that he seems more accepting and apologetic. I'd recommend getting it only for the sake of collection.

I found the magazine I mentioned several pages back. It doesn't really have anything out of the ordinary in terms of actual content, just a really short and subpar guide to GS (it's pre-Crystal, though it mentions that it would be coming out soon along with "GS Stadium"--AKA Stadium 2). It's also got a guide to Hey You, Pikachu! and a list of some new (well, new at the time) cards as well as other random merchandise. It turns out that it was indeed a stand-alone guide produced by Imagine Media and not part of another magazine, though it was part of a series, I think. A lot of the articles in it really show their age. It talks about the Celebi event in Japan, and also mentions the Pokemon Center that was going to open in NYC. I flipped through it again and felt old. D;

What I found most interesting was an advertisement on the inside cover. It's some kind of device like a GameShark crossed with a primitive version of Pokesav. However, there are two bullet points of it's features that were a bit amusing. Exact quote:
"-Gain access to ultra-rare PokémonTM: Lapris, Togepi, Baruki, Snorlax and more.
-Get all 26 versions of the mysterious PokémonTM Annon"

Annon is Unown, obviously. And I think Baruki is Tyrogue.

I also found this when I did a Google search for it, which makes me feel better for spending so much time wondering about the "100% Unofficial" in the title: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorialArt.cfm?artid=465

[/walloftext]

Let's see, I have a bunch of Pokemon books and magazines.

- I have a few issues of Beckett Pokemon Collector
- Pojo's Ultimate Pokemon Book
- Used to have The Official Pokemon Handbook with the Johto Pokemon in it (wish I still had that, cause it was awesome and talked about Orange Islands episodes of the show too...)
- I have the Top Ten Pokemon Moments (I love this book! It's all about the anime!)
- Various strategy guides for the different Pokemon games
- Other Pokemon magazines (not Beckett) which I can't name off the top of my head XP

Quite a collection you have there. I've been building up on a few old magazines, mostly Beckett Pokemon Collectors and gaming magazines. Been hard locating anything offline.

Do you have east access to them, or are they buried somewhere?

Unfortunately, I never got a subscription to Beckett Pokemon Collector. So I only have like 2 or 3 old issues, lol.

And yeah, I have easy access to all my Pokemon magazines. I keep them in a box under my bed. ^^

I'm not exactly sure which ones I have, but if you want me to, I can check. =)

By the way, my Toys R Us store sells Beckett Pokemon Collector. They have some of the more recent issues. I could easily buy them, if someone was interested (they have the following issues: the Blaziken one, the Arcanine one, Machop, Lucario, Raichu, and Arceus - not sure which issues they are, but I'm just calling them by the Pokemon that's on the cover).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I never got a subscription to Beckett Pokemon Collector. So I only have like 2 or 3 old issues, lol.

And yeah, I have easy access to all my Pokemon magazines. I keep them in a box under my bed. ^^

I'm not exactly sure which ones I have, but if you want me to, I can check. =)

By the way, my Toys R Us store sells Beckett Pokemon Collector. They have some of the more recent issues. I could easily buy them, if someone was interested (they have the following issues: the Blaziken one, the Arcanine one, Machop, Lucario, Raichu, and Arceus - not sure which issues they are, but I'm just calling them by the Pokemon that's on the cover).
Yeah, I'd love it if you could check. I'm trying to build up a resource of early Pokemon coverage for a website I'm a writer for, so it'd be a big help.

And I might be interested in you getting and rerouting some new Becketts to me if they had any HeartGold/SoulSilver or fifth gen coverage.

Yeah, that would be cool. Closest you can get is selling doujinshis in Japan... I wonder how many there actually are for Pokemon?

Compared to other series' not a lot. I used to spend a lot of time browsing tens of sites for Doujins from series' I like, and it was very, very rare I came across a Pokémon one. :3

Probably gonna wind up reviving a dead thread, but I did have a copy of Pokémon: Pathways to Adventure, and... hahahahaha, I actually really liked it back in the day. I used to restart my game sometimes just to try to follow the book precisely, because I was obviously a loser with nothing better to do. XD

I do have a habit of sometimes saying "With one hit-point left!" though. <_<;;

Probably gonna wind up reviving a dead thread, but I did have a copy of Pokémon: Pathways to Adventure, and... hahahahaha, I actually really liked it back in the day. I used to restart my game sometimes just to try to follow the book precisely, because I was obviously a loser with nothing better to do. XD

I do have a habit of sometimes saying "With one hit-point left!" though. <_<;;
I reserved that book from the public library after reading this topic XD I've never actually read it. Flipped through it in a store once when I was young and ignored it because it looked really crappy XD.

I'm like person 162 in line for it though, wtf?? why do people want this book!! O_O

I have LOADS of Beckett issues!

There's one gem I remember seeing but highly regret not getting; it was a small novel-looking book that featured Gold and Silver and showed every sprite of the new Pokemon, but actually had prototype names of some key Pokemon, most memorable were Steelix as Hagenail, Blissey as Happiness, and I think Slowking was Yadoking, I don't quite remember, but the former two most definitely.

Looked like an absolute gem, stupid younger me! :mad:

I had another magazine that I don't know where it's at now, but it was something like "Pokemon The Unofficial Magazine" or something that featured GS as well, and it had previews of Hey You Pikachu, probably the first time I ever heard of the GC with a section about Meowth's Party and I was like WUT?

A complete Pokedex of the new Pokemon, and last but not least, the inside of the back cover showed me that Stadium 2 was coming to JP HOLY ****! :O The shots showed Marril and Pichu.

Wish I knew what those two books above were actually called so that I can try to obtain the first and reobtain the second. :/

Hi,
I have 3 magazines. They are published by Nintendo Official Magazine (that's like Nintendo Power, but for the UK)
-First one has a shiny purple pinkish cover, with Pikachu on the front. It's called the Pokemon Master Guide.
-Second has a shiny silver cover, with Lugia on the front. Also called Pokemon Master Guide.
-Third has a shiny gold cover, with Ho-oh on the front. It's called the Pokemon Monster Guide.
Both master guides are basically walkthroughs for the first and second generation games, respectively. The monster guide has a complete guide to all 251 Pokemon (at the time of writing) with Pokedex entries, move lists, TMs and HMs they can learn, and others.
I've had these since the nineties...good times ;-)
Also, does anyone remember those Pokemon novelizations of the anime by Tracy West? Those were weird.

Ah, the Jason Rich book. I bought that one... and I still have it, too. It wasn't unofficial, so it technically shouldn't be in this thread, but whatever.

It certainly has its, er, moments. One of my favorites occurs when Ash catches a Pikachu in Viridian Forest:

To his delight, Ash discovered that his newest Pokémon was already capable of using a Thundershock attack and a Growl attack.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom