• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

US Congress's Internet Censorship Bill

If anyone wants to read the official bill text for SOPA, they can do so here. This site not only updates in real-time, but also offers you the chance to write to your representatives, track the (public) money trail, links to various news articles regarding the bills, and see what groups/companies support or oppose the bill. Pretty nifty. It's for ANY current US bill, too, so if there's some other piece of legislation that you want to keep tabs on, you can also check it on this site.

Here's PIPA.

EDIT: I find it strangely hilarious that the first interest group listed under SOPA's "Interests that support this bill" (after clicking "See All" to view the whole list) is "Tobacco and Tobacco Products." Censorship keeps you smoking, apparently!

This is EXACTLY how they tried to pass similar legislation here in Australia, and that's exactly how they attempted to paint the opposition to the laws.

What? When exactly was this? I really didn't think being overseas for a couple of months would have been that big of a deal...

Because claiming not to uploadanything in protest of SOPA is weak. It's like me saying I didn't go to the grocery store today in protest of SOPA. If I hadn't just said that probably nobody would have guessed I even had the intention of going to the grocery store today. Plus, I could totally be lying about planning to go to the grocery store (I am fyi), but then pretend it's because of a protest against SOPA. The same applies to claiming you're not uploading anything because of SOPA. I say put up a self-made banner or something against SOPA, that seems more genuine.

And even besides that, awareness has pretty much been raised by google, wikipedia and reddit by themselves. Add to that banners and black-outs of smaller sites and we get even more awareness. I really think a facebook group or single artist posting a blog isn't going to add much more to that, making it kinda pointless imo. The artists might just do it for themselves (so they can say they joined the fight against sopa probably), but the facebook groups blacking out really seems pointless to me.

I just have to point out how this a lot of people I know (including myself) actually found out about SOPA. It's not useless, every voice that joins in makes the overall sound louder, even if only slightly. I myself actually don't use Wiki all that often, and if I was relying solely on Wiki to find out about SOPA, I would have been oblivious. Even if it's not all that much, I will do what I can. So will many others. Things on the internet move more silently and faster than lots of people can imagine. It's a worldwide thing, and it's always there.

I agree with the idea of the bill - "Stopping Piracy," however, they are going the wrong way about it. The internet isn't in any way perfect, but it's helped shaped our society and is an important part of both today and tomorrow, in many parts of the world. However, if America takes this route of action, many other countries will follow. Even if they don't, majority (if not all) of large-scale websites are based in America, and they might choose to censor their own content in other countries... I mean, a guy in the UK might be facing five years of jail, even though what he did isn't illegal in his country. Whose to say they won't censor the content to the world?

Maybe we're overreacting, maybe we're not... but I'm assuming the worst, and I don't want to take any chances. (Even though I am a fourteen-year-old girl in a country which is for the most part unaffected [for now]. But whatever.) The internet has grown over many years, and sure, it might grow back again, but it surely won't happen overnight. Who wants to wait maybe 5 - 7 years (estimating here) for the internet to grow into a shadow of what it once was? Not me.

The positive about this is that the old way of "lobbying" was completely overruled by the political action inspired by the blackout. Lobbying firms with decades of history and experience outplayed and outmaneuvered in a single day.

I think it's pretty good some major sites protested by going dark today, but some sites / persons really think they have too much power. I mean, if you're putting your facebook group on dark you're just pushing it. Or deviantart artists claiming not to upload anything today in protest of SOPA.
Leave the protests to the "big kids" on the playground? I'm sorry, but I disagree - everyone in opposition to this measure can do their part to express their displeasure.

No voice is too small.

The positive about this is that the old way of "lobbying" was completely overruled by the political action inspired by the blackout. Lobbying firms with decades of history and experience outplayed and outmaneuvered in a single day.

I really don't think it's over, even though SOPA/PIPA in it's current form isn't going very far. They have payed for a bill, I really doubt they will give up this easily.

That, and this was an issue regarding internet. It would be way harder to get neutral tech giants to boycott something that doesn't affect them, and thus making lobbyism still very powerful.

In addition, I can quote my previous post, and say that Lamar Smith has an ace up his sleeve, though maybe few realize that.

The blackout might have raised awareness about SOPA/PIPA. However, laziness and apathy also shows, and it really just shows that a lot of people couldn't give a shit.
Twitter
It kinda speaks for itself, doesn't it?

We still have NPR's attention. And the Daily Show did a report on it yesterday.

Still, most people still can't afford internet service, and most of them still didn't see the significance it have on society. This is why some of the senators like Lamar Smith dismiss these oppositions as an minory, they rarely use the internet.

So I hear SOPA got pushed back yet again. Why couldn't they open their mind about the protests?

I don't care as long as I can access whatever I need and whatever I want. Heck, it's not as if they're going to ban the Internet itself. There's always going to be a way to find stuff despite the censoring.

I don't care as long as I can access whatever I need and whatever I want. Heck, it's not as if they're going to ban the Internet itself. There's always going to be a way to find stuff despite the censoring.
True, but if a site is blocked to the point of being inaccessible by conventional means, while the more tech-savvy among us might still be able to access it, the general public won't know how. And if site traffic drops considerably, the site may not generate enough revenue to remain available.

I really don't think it's over, even though SOPA/PIPA in it's current form isn't going very far. They have payed for a bill, I really doubt they will give up this easily.

That, and this was an issue regarding internet. It would be way harder to get neutral tech giants to boycott something that doesn't affect them, and thus making lobbyism still very powerful.

In addition, I can quote my previous post, and say that Lamar Smith has an ace up his sleeve, though maybe few realize that.

The blackout might have raised awareness about SOPA/PIPA. However, laziness and apathy also shows, and it really just shows that a lot of people couldn't give a shit.
Twitter
It kinda speaks for itself, doesn't it?

The thing is, All the lobbying money in the world doesn't mean shit if voters still won't vote for you.

Well, fuck you Nazi media. You just bullshitted some false information to close that site down.

This can be taken as declaration of war on the internet.

Mysteryno, you do know there's a group known as Anonymous who have hacked government sites, right?

Mysteryno, you do know there's a group known as Anonymous who have hacked government sites, right?

And throwing our support behind that kind of illicit activity is going to help us hammer home our point that the Internet doesn't need additional regulation?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom