• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

UU Sunny Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Wolfare, very good suggestions. It's wonderful to have someone else here that knows a good deal about competitive play :)
Np! I really am just a beginner (only started competitive battling like September/October). =P Oh, and don't forget Chansey can make a great addition to this team if used>>Altaria (just sprung in my mind lol) with its massive SpD and HP.

Hmmm... Chansey might be good for raising Sunny Day to back up my lead...

Haha it's awesome that you're still a beginner and you know so much!

So I edited the first post with what I have thus far.

Bump for edits.
Here's what I got now. I'll edit it on the first post as well.

Venomoth @ Heat Rock; Impish
Tinted Lens
252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpDef
-Agility
-Baton Pass
-Sunny Day
-Bug Buzz

My lead. Agility, Sunny Day, then Baton Pass. I know Venomoth is fragile, so I’m hoping the EV spread and nature will help a little. The speed boosts and Tinted Lens will let it hold its own if it has to, but I don’t plan on keeping it in unless I can guarantee a KO.

------

Tropius @ Leftovers; Modest
Solar Power
252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 6 SpDef
-Solar Beam
-Air Slash
-Ominous Wind
-Growth/Roost

Sweep with Tropius after it receives Speed boosts. Leftovers will hopefully regain the HP lost from Solar Power. I can't decide between Growth and Roost though.

------

Houndoom @ Life Orb; Modest
Flash Fire
40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Fire Blast
-Dark Pulse
-Shadow Ball

Flash Fire gets activated when I switch out of an incoming Fire attack aimed at Tangrowth or Tropius. That + Nasty Plot boost + Sunny Day boost + STAB on Fire Blast… now I’m not good with numbers, nor do I know how to do damage calcs, but that sounds pretty terrifying.

------

Marowak @ Thick Club; Adamant
Rock Head
252 Atk / 252 Def / 6 HP
-Double Edge
-Earthquake
-Thunder Punch
-Stone Edge

My main physical attacker. It’s typing uses Sunny Day (it’s Water weakness lessened by 50%) to its advantage, and Thick Club works like Choice Band without committing to one move. It would be nice if Venomoth survives so Marowak could have some speed boosts BPd to it as well.

------

Altaria @ Heat Rock; Calm
Natural Cure
252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
-Sunny Day
-Roost
-Toxic
-Dragon Pulse

More Sunny Day support.

------

Tangrowth @ Leftovers; Bold
Chlorophyll
252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
-Sleep Powder
-Power Whip
-Earthquake
-Stun Spore
Double Powder. That with Toxic on Altaria allows for a lot of status trouble for my opponent. And doubled Speed in the sun with powerful attacks like STAB Power Whip and Earthquake for Fire types doesn’t look too bad either.

To be honest, I would just switch Tropius for something else and get a lead that just sets up Sunny Day. Because I don't think the opponent will let you get an Agility AND set up Sunny Day. =\ I just don't see it working. That said, if it was me, I would switch Tropius out with Exeggutor. Marowak would then seem dead weight without the Agility boost. Switch it out with something that can handle Rain Dance teams, which wreak havoc on you. Preferably Poliwrath or Quagsire. Replace Shadow Ball on Houndoom as it gives the same coverage as Dark Pulse, and switch it out with Flamethrower, for an alternative STAB, or Will-o-Wisp. Make it Timid too.

Thanks for the suggestions again, Wolflare. I followed them for the most part because I just couldn’t make the Agility/Baton Pass work. There just aren’t enough options, and I agree with what you’re saying about it probably not working. I do love Tropius though… :(
So here’s what I got with edits, both minor and major (I’ll change the first post too)…

Exeggutor @ Heat Rock; Rash
Chlorophyll
76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam
-Sleep Powder
-Psychic

As you can see, I fail at making leads. But how about this? Usually this set has Explosion, but I chose Psychic over it because it seems senseless to sacrifice something that has such great special attack. I know Explosion has its uses (my Skuntank on my other UU team has it and I’ve gotten a lot of use out of it), but I think Psychic will help me more in OU.

------

Chlorophyll
-Shock Wave
-Power Whip
-Focus Blast
-Stun Spore

Now that Exeggutor has Sleep Powder, I didn’t want Tangrowth to have it as well in case there were some complications with Sleep Clause. So I decided to make it a mixed attacker again with Shock Wave since I could use the coverage, and Focus Blast since Gastrodon gets the STAB from it.

------------

Gastrodon @ Leftovers; Careful
Sticky Hold
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
-Curse
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
-Recover

I know you suggested Poliwrath or Quagsire, Wolflare, but I really love Gastrodon and have always wanted to use one on a competitive team. I wish I remotely understood how to get Hidden Power right, because I would put HP Fire on this set, but I don’t so… This doesn’t really have any Sunny Day support or benefit. But it does provide an Ice move that’s much needed on this team.

------

Houndoom @ Life Orb; Timid
Flash Fire
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Dark Pulse
-Will-o-wisp

Flash Fire gets activated when I switch into an incoming Fire attack aimed at Tangrowth or Exeggutor. Will-o-wisp for more status fun.

------

Armaldo @ Heat Rock/Leftovers; Impish
Battle Armor
252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Def
-Sunny Day
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-X-Scissor

Even though I took away Marowak (which made me quite sad to tell the truth, despite knowing that it’s probably for the best), I still liked Wiil’s idea of using typing to the team’s advantage. So here’s Armaldo for more Sunny Day support… and lack of a more useful role haha. Any suggestions for this, and I’ll be kissing your feet haha.

------

Altaria @ Leftovers/Heat Rock; Calm
Natural Cure
-Roost
-Toxic
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower/Sunny Day

Flamethrower powered up by Sunny Day. Otherwise, Sunny Day in that slot if Armaldo doesn’t do the trick.

Exeguttor as a lead is okay, nothing bad. Gastrodon is okay too, just not as good as Poliwrath. XD Armaldo doesn't seem to fit on a Sunny Day team as it raises the power of Fire-type attacks in the sun giving him a even more worse Fire weakness. XD I can suggest Uxie, Registeel, Regirock (they can all set up SR and Sunny Day)? I would put another sun abuser in either Armaldo or Altaria's slot. Since you only need one supporter. ;D Yeah, so just switch out Armaldo with a sun abuser, and switch out Altaria with something like Uxie, Registeel, Regirock, or something that is very sturdy.

Hmmm, maybe instead of Armaldo...
Jumpluff @ Heat Rock; Timid
Cholorphyll
252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 252 Spd
-Sleep Powder
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam
-U-Turn

Sleep Powder first turn, Sunny Day the second. Then Solar Beam if I want to attack, or U-Turn if I want a free switch. I could maybe use this as my lead instead of Exeggutor, so...

Exeggutor @ Life Orb; Modest
Chlorophyll
252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
-Solar Beam
-Psychic
-Ancient Power
-Synthesis

Pretty much just attack is the idea here. Synthesis is to heal off Life Orb damage.

I'll keep Altaria as so:
Natural Cure
-Roost
-Toxic
-Dragon Pulse
-Sunny Day

That is fine, just use Hidden Power Fire>>AncientPower (I don't think it learns that) to abuse the sun. Rest is fine.

Awesome. Thanks so much again for all of your awesome advice, Wolflare!

Re: Encountering some problems.

So I've been using this team for a while and it works great... except when both of my SD setups are KOed. :(
I've found that I need another SD user, but I'm not sure where it would fit. Maybe something in place of Gastrodon since he doesn't benefit from the sun at all?

Here's the team as-is:

Cholorphyll
-Sleep Powder
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam
-U-Turn

Chlorophyll
-Solar Beam
-Psychic
-Ancient Power
-Synthesis

Natural Cure
-Roost
-Toxic
-Dragon Pulse
-Sunny Day

Flash Fire
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Dark Pulse
-Will-o-wisp

Sticky Hold
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
-Curse
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
-Recover

Chlorophyll
-Shock Wave
-Power Whip
-Focus Blast
-Stun Spore

Re: Encountering some problems.

So I've been using this team for a while and it works great... except when both of my SD setups are KOed. :(
I've found that I need another SD user, but I'm not sure where it would fit. Maybe something in place of Gastrodon since he doesn't benefit from the sun at all?

Here's the team as-is:

Cholorphyll
-Sleep Powder
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam
-U-Turn

Chlorophyll
-Solar Beam
-Psychic
-Ancient Power
-Synthesis

Natural Cure
-Roost
-Toxic
-Dragon Pulse
-Sunny Day

Flash Fire
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Dark Pulse
-Will-o-wisp

Sticky Hold
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
-Curse
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
-Recover

Chlorophyll
-Shock Wave
-Power Whip
-Focus Blast
-Stun Spore
Use something better over Altaria, something that can wall hits better. If you remove Gastrodon, then you will be weak to Rain Dance teams, or the replacement for Altaria could also try to handle Rain Dance teams.

Yeah, I agree with that, especially since Altaria has yet to survive a battle lol. It's not fast enough to set up the sun either.

So instead of Altaria:
Crobat @ Heat Rock; Jolly
Inner Focus
252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-Sunny Day
-U-Turn
-Brave Bird
-Roost
I know it can't wall hits better, but I chose Crobat because it's one of the fastest in UU, beat only by Electrode. It's main purpose is to set up the sun and run (something that I desperately needed Altaria to do, but it couldn't), but with Brave Bird and Roost, it can hold its own as well.

And I hate to get rid of Gastrodon, since I love it so much. But here's something that'll be able to take hits better:

Claydol @ Leftovers; Bold
Levitate
252 HP / 108 Def / 96 SpA / 52 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Sunny Day
It even does almost the same job Gastrodon did, except probably better. And I also get that third SD setup that I so desperately need.

I think this looks better. Any suggestions?

Just to forewarn, Crobat may be banned to BL in a month or so. Well, Jumpluff already can set up and run, so I would use something that can take hits better. You can also consider Uxie, it is very great to fit on SD teams. =3 Just remember that you will lose to any Rain Dance team you see, and 50% of the teams in UU include Rain Dance. =\

Yeah, I had the same thought about Crobat. But the way it's been working out, the people I battle usually don't have UU teams. So the tier probably won't be such an issue. It'll prob even help to have a BL on board in OU battles. And yeah, I know Jumpfluff does the same job as Crobat here, but believe it or not, I've actually found myself need another one that's able to do the same thing. Sounds weird, but I've found weather battles to wierd in general, so... idk haha

As for RD teams, I'm not too concerned. That might be dumb of me, but that's what I hope both my fast SD setups will overcome. It worked with just Jumpluff when I faced a Sandstorm team the other day.

Thanks for responding again, Wolflare.
:)
What do you think of Claydol?

I just noticed Tangrowth was Bold (-Atk) with Power Whip? Is this for special walls? If it's not there for a purpose, you might as well use SolarBeam. I still think Chansey is a better choice than Altaria. That Jumpluff is ANNOYING... good choice :p The only thing I see "wrong" are places where Hidden Power would be a better choice... if you want, I could do some Hidden Power breeding for you (and make them shiny while I'm at it!). I like the offense/defense balance.

Make sure to edit that first post.

Yeah, I had the same thought about Crobat. But the way it's been working out, the people I battle usually don't have UU teams. So the tier probably won't be such an issue. It'll prob even help to have a BL on board in OU battles. And yeah, I know Jumpfluff does the same job as Crobat here, but believe it or not, I've actually found myself need another one that's able to do the same thing. Sounds weird, but I've found weather battles to wierd in general, so... idk haha

As for RD teams, I'm not too concerned. That might be dumb of me, but that's what I hope both my fast SD setups will overcome. It worked with just Jumpluff when I faced a Sandstorm team the other day.

Thanks for responding again, Wolflare.
:)
What do you think of Claydol?
Whatever is fine with you~

It is okay, but I would go with Chansey like what Wiil said, it helps with the RD weakness, since you can switch to Chansey to wall Ludi (but some sets like SD beat Chansey), Gorebyss, etc. And, you can switch to Tangrowth for Kabutops (watch out for X-Sccisor though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom