• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Venusaur vs Torterra

Which Grass Starter do you prefer?

• Total voters
Torrtera becouse

1-Its design is cooler.

2- Is a continent turtle based on bad*** raw power.
Tortel_Power_by_Bahful.gif

3-Torterra pult*

hur hur Anime forums in-joke

Torterra is a Venusaur rip-off. As is Infernape a Blaz9ken rip-off.

So I guess every fish pokemon is a rip-off of magikarp,(carvanha,finneon,barrboach,remoraid,etc) and every bird pokemon is a rip-off of pidgeotto right?(Staraptor,swellow,noctowl)

Just like swellow and staraptors arent based in pidgeons(but in starlings/hawks and Swallows,respectively),Torterra doesnt resemble a whatever venusaur is a frog/dinasour with a random flower in its back.Torterra is a world turtle

And what do blaziken and infernape share in comon besides its type?!infernape is an ape based on a chinese tale and blaziken is a cockfighting chiken.

Last edited:
I don't know. Design-wise, both look pwnsome. Although both share a similar concept: a giant reptile with a plant on its back. So in that aspect, Venusaur beats Torterra in the originality department single-handledly, plus it's the fuckin' first Pokémon in the National Dex. But Torterra, despite its double weakness to Ice, is far more superior in terms of versatility, mainly because of its STAB Earthquake.

Although in a one on one battle between the two, probably Venusaur would win becaus eof its Sleep Power and Grass Knot.

So, all in all, I declare it a tie.

I voted Torterra, mostly because I like the design more. STAB Earthquake is a nice advantage as well.

Venasaur because hey it's an original and he's way better! Just include Poisenpowder on Torterra and eventually in the match Torterra will have total annihilation! Or just use Sleep Powder and he can slowly take down Torterra while it's in dreamaland. But let's face it Venasaur is better than Torterra! Charizard can beat all the other 3 fire starters and the water types are all equally awesome!

Nothing can beat torterra. ;A; A cute lovable turtle over some ugly plant dinosaur is good for me any day!

I have to go with Torterra on this one. I love Venusaur because he is classic but I prefer Torterra just because it looks much cooler IMO.:lick:

I have to go with Torterra on this one. I love Venusaur because he is classic but I prefer Torterra just because it looks much cooler IMO.:spin:

Torterra for me. Both are cool, but Venusaur has to compete with many other Grass/Poison Pokémon, of which I prefer many over it. On the other hand, Torterra has the unique Grass/Ground Type, which was one combination I really wanted to see for a while, so I was happy it did, and in the form of a really cool Pokémon, no less. Plus, I prefer tortoises over toads, ehehe.

Venusaur.
Frankly, I don't know much about Torterra so I'm a little biased here. But I think Venusaur's special abilities will deem to be more useful, take solar beam for example which could be used as a power source. Whereas Torterra's physical capabilities may only lead to destruction if not controlled properly. And if ever the two would battle, it all depends on their trainers or their raw skills. Since the two are of the same type, there's no telling which one has the good end of the stick. Might as well see them for myself

Well Venasaur is a Grass/Poison Type and Torterra is a Grass/Ground Type. So I think Torterra has the advantage.

Well Venasaur is a Grass/Poison Type and Torterra is a Grass/Ground Type. So I think Torterra has the advantage.

Wrong. Poison is weak to Ground but Ground is weak to Grass. If we're talking types here, Torterra would hit Venusaur neutrally with Ground type moves and not very effectively with Grass type ones (since both Poison and Grass resist Grass). Conversely, Venusaur hits Torterra neutrally with Poison moves (Ground resists Poison) and neutrally with Grass moves. If we're talking simple types here, Venusaur actually has the advantage (though not by much)

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom